SpiderWeb

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Roland
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 am

SpiderWeb

Post by Roland »

I think this excellent new browser deserves it's own thread!-)

Then some questions...

1. From where did SpiderWeb appear to PPC Linux...? This kind of program is not coded in one or two days!

2. For some reason, I cannot get any videos to load, not even with ViewTube. Do they work for anyone else...?

3. In the preferences for external tools, there is no VLC option for MP4 videos!?! Is there fix for this?

4. The add-ons manager does not have an option to install new addons. From where to get those? There are a few preinstalled, but I would like to have some adblocker, and a newer version of GreaseMonkey (v. 3.31.4 from GitHub is incompatible with the SpiderWeb version from Fienix depot).
- Roland -
User avatar
caseycullen
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:12 am
Location: Madison, WI USA
Contact:

Re: SpiderWeb

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote:I think this excellent new browser deserves it's own thread!-)

Then some questions...

1. From where did SpiderWeb appear to PPC Linux...? This kind of program is not coded in one or two days!

2. For some reason, I cannot get any videos to load, not even with ViewTube. Do they work for anyone else...?

3. In the preferences for external tools, there is no VLC option for MP4 videos!?! Is there fix for this?

4. The add-ons manager does not have an option to install new addons. From where to get those? There are a few preinstalled, but I would like to have some adblocker, and a newer version of GreaseMonkey (v. 3.31.4 from GitHub is incompatible with the SpiderWeb version from Fienix depot).
1) SpiderWeb is a fork of Borealis Navigator, built on a version of Mozilla's Unified XUL Platform customized for PowerPC, by wicknix. He also works on Arctic Fox. You can check out his other work on github at https://github.com/wicknix.

2) For videos you need to have VLC-Plugin set to always activate, you must have Greasemonkey 3.10 installed from the SpiderWeb Add-Ons drive (see #4) or the Fienix software repo, and you must copy the gm_scripts directory from Arctic Fox to SpiderWeb (from /home/.org.wicknix to /home/.wicknix). The gm_scripts directory must be manually copied due to a bug.

3) You shouldn't need to set VLC up as an external tool.

4) SpiderWeb add-ons are available from here.
Last edited by caseycullen on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
kilaueabart
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:36 am

Re: SpiderWeb

Post by kilaueabart »

I like the idea of a separate thread for Spiderweb. Now able to trick my way onto the internet from Fienix, I installed Spideweb today. My first favorable impression: it's quick. Negative: Gmail doesn't like it, and I have to do the "html" version of my email. People are blue in videos, just like New Moon, although video isn't jerky as in my other browser.

I'll use it as much as possible when I'm in Fienix and see how it stacks up against the others. As it is, there are some things I can't do in Arctic Fox and have to go to New Moon for, some things New Moon won't do (such as make videos come out in natural colors). I get quite a runaround.
User avatar
caseycullen
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:12 am
Location: Madison, WI USA
Contact:

Re: SpiderWeb

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote:I like the idea of a separate thread for Spiderweb. Now able to trick my way onto the internet from Fienix, I installed Spideweb today. My first favorable impression: it's quick. Negative: Gmail doesn't like it, and I have to do the "html" version of my email. People are blue in videos, just like New Moon, although video isn't jerky as in my other browser.

I'll use it as much as possible when I'm in Fienix and see how it stacks up against the others. As it is, there are some things I can't do in Arctic Fox and have to go to New Moon for, some things New Moon won't do (such as make videos come out in natural colors). I get quite a runaround.
You can fix the video issue.
1) Open SpiderWeb
2) Activate Greasemonkey in Tools > Add-ons Manager > Extensions
3) Activate VLC-Plugin in Tools > Add-ons Manager > Plugins
4) Copy gm_scripts:
a) Open Caja File Manager and go to your home directory
b) Click View > Show Hidden Files
c) Open .org.wicknix/arctic fox/<random-user-directory>
d) There is a folder called gm_scripts, right-click on it and choose Copy
e) Paste gm_scripts in /home/.wicknix/spiderweb<random-user-directory>
5) Restart SpiderWeb.
User avatar
kilaueabart
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:36 am

Re: SpiderWeb

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote: You can fix the video issue.
[Steps detailed in previous post]
Beautiful! I have reached the stage where I can't even imagine knowing how to do that kind of thing. Thank you.
Roland
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 am

Re: SpiderWeb

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: 1) SpiderWeb is a fork of Borealis Navigator, built on a version of Mozilla's Unified XUL Platform customized for PowerPC, by wicknix. He also works on Arctic Fox. You can check out his other work on github at https://github.com/wicknix.
Interesting... I wish it would be as simple to get a new browser for AmigaOS, too!-)
2) For videos you need to have VLC-Plugin set to always activate, you must have Greasemonkey 3.10 installed from the SpiderWeb Add-Ons drive (see #4) or the Fienix software repo, and you must copy the gm_scripts directory from Arctic Fox to SpiderWeb (from /home/.org.wicknix to /home/.wicknix). The gm_scripts directory must be manually copied due to a bug.
I got now those videos which can use ViewTube/ViewTube+ to work with it. But for some reason they do not work without ViewTube, even if they do that in Arctic Fox. What might cause that difference...?

I also noticed that Instagram videos, even though their front picture has always normal colours, run all in 'blue'. Is there any fix for that? All other videos I have tested seem to have normal colours.
3) You shouldn't need to set VLC up as an external tool.
But is that possible...? According to Sebaro, some livestreams have to be run with external player. Instead of doing it separately in VLC, it would be practical to start also them from a browser.
4) SpiderWeb add-ons are available from here.
Thanks for this link! But there was not any documentation about what each of them is doing... Can you recommend some of them?
- Roland -
User avatar
caseycullen
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:12 am
Location: Madison, WI USA
Contact:

Re: SpiderWeb

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote:I got now those videos which can use ViewTube/ViewTube+ to work with it. But for some reason they do not work without ViewTube, even if they do that in Arctic Fox. What might cause that difference...?

I also noticed that Instagram videos, even though their front picture has always normal colours, run all in 'blue'. Is there any fix for that? All other videos I have tested seem to have normal colours.
I'm not sure why some videos won't play without ViewTube/ViewTube+. Instagram is probably a good candidate for ViewTube+ though.
Roland wrote:But is that possible...? According to Sebaro, some livestreams have to be run with external player. Instead of doing it separately in VLC, it would be practical to start also them from a browser.
I'm not sure how well it will work. The helper application for MP4 is already set to VLC Web Plugin, but you can try setting it to VLC itself if you want.
Edit > Preferences, then Navigator > Helper Applications. Scroll down to MP4, and select "Use other" from the menu. Then navigate to /usr/bin and select vlc.
Image
Roland wrote:Thanks for this link! But there was not any documentation about what each of them is doing... Can you recommend some of them?
These are the extensions I know
adblocklatitude - ad blocker
cookiesexterminator - cookie blocker
decentraleyes - thwarts tracking attempts
fireftp - ftp client within the browser
flashgot - download manager
https-always - encrypts communication with many websites so browsing is more secure on public networks
noscript - blocks java and javascript on all sites except those you choose
ublock - ad blocker
Roland
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 am

Re: SpiderWeb

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: I'm not sure why some videos won't play without ViewTube/ViewTube+. Instagram is probably a good candidate for ViewTube+ though.
Could you suggest that to Sebaro... I think my 'quota' is already full!-)
Roland wrote:But is that possible...? According to Sebaro, some livestreams have to be run with external player. Instead of doing it separately in VLC, it would be practical to start also them from a browser.
I'm not sure how well it will work. The helper application for MP4 is already set to VLC Web Plugin, but you can try setting it to VLC itself if you want.
Edit > Preferences, then Navigator > Helper Applications. Scroll down to MP4, and select "Use other" from the menu. Then navigate to /usr/bin and select vlc.
This is very peculiar... In my SpiderWeb the 'VLC Web Plugin' option is available for most other data types, but NOT for MP4!! There are only two ready-made options for MP4, the other for the plugin which's name I cannot now remember (cannot now check, I'm in AmigaOS), and the other for mplayer. I think this may explain why videos do not run without ViewTube, but how to fix this...? Is there a settings file where these options are defined?

But I will next try that direct link to VLC you suggested...
These are the extensions I know
adblocklatitude - ad blocker
cookiesexterminator - cookie blocker
decentraleyes - thwarts tracking attempts
fireftp - ftp client within the browser
flashgot - download manager
https-always - encrypts communication with many websites so browsing is more secure on public networks
noscript - blocks java and javascript on all sites except those you choose
ublock - ad blocker
Thanks! I alredy asked this on another thread, but is there NPAPI for SpiderWeb?
- Roland -
Roland
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 am

Re: SpiderWeb

Post by Roland »

I succeeded to change the Helper Application for MP4 to etc/bin/vlc... And it seems to work with those continuous stream channels of 'Yle', for which Sebaro gave the correct link!-) But as you can see from the picture, the VLC plugin is indeed not available....
Attachments
Screenshot at 2019-10-03 11-55-05.png
- Roland -
Roland
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 am

Re: SpiderWeb

Post by Roland »

I noticed SpiderWeb has a color problem (='blue') with some videostreams which can be run using ViewTube+. How to fix this...? The same streams look ok when watched in VLC, so the problem is in SpiderWeb.
- Roland -
Post Reply