AmigaOne X5000 - FreeBSD Only

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6190
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

AmigaOne X5000 - FreeBSD Only

Post by xeno74 »

Image

Hi All,

Justin Hibbits has ported FreeBSD to the AmigaOne X5000.

I downloaded the FreeBSD uImage from the website https://people.freebsd.org/~jhibbits/ today. I tried to boot it with the following commands:

Code: Select all

load sata 0:1 1000000 amiga64.uImage
load sata 0:1 3000000 cyrus.dtb
bootm 1000000 - 3000000
Unfortunately the FreeBSD kernel doesn't boot on my X5000.

Error message:

Code: Select all

Critical Input Exception
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###
I tried several dtb files.

Any hints?

What is FreeBSD?
FreeBSD is an operating system for a variety of platforms which focuses on features, speed, and stability. It is derived from BSD, the version of UNIX® developed at the University of California, Berkeley. It is developed and maintained by a large community.
Further information about FreeBSD

Installing on a AmigaOne X5000

AmigaOne X5000 Support

FreeBSD in action on a PC:

Image

Image
Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

User avatar
Skateman
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: AmigaOne X5000 - FreeBSD Only

Post by Skateman »

Nice to see that more flavours appear...

Hopefully we might have one complete usable system in the future.. :-)
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon R7 250 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS 4.1 FE / Ubuntu Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world

chmeee
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:04 pm

Re: AmigaOne X5000 - FreeBSD Only

Post by chmeee »

Hi xeno74,

I'm the porter, Justin, so wanted to clear some things up. I think your biggest issue is the load address. The kernel needs to be loaded on a 64MB boundary, less the U-Boot image header. I load the uImage at 0x3ffffc0.

I recently added install instructions to the FreeBSD wiki, which you can find at https://wiki.freebsd.org/powerpc/UBoot-Install .

Known issues: The video card doesn't get initialized, due to resource translation (the DRI drivers map the resource addresses, which don't get properly initialized until the resource is actually activated). I have a patch for that, but I won't commit it because it's not exactly clean. Instead I filed a bug for it in the FreeBSD bugzilla at https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_ ... ?id=223572 .

Most else works, and ethernet works really well, able to nearly saturate the gigabit link (limited only by the other end, I found, my G5 macs can't keep up with it).

I hope this helps.

User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6190
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: AmigaOne X5000 - FreeBSD Only

Post by xeno74 »

chmeee wrote:Hi xeno74,

I'm the porter, Justin, so wanted to clear some things up. I think your biggest issue is the load address. The kernel needs to be loaded on a 64MB boundary, less the U-Boot image header. I load the uImage at 0x3ffffc0.

I recently added install instructions to the FreeBSD wiki, which you can find at https://wiki.freebsd.org/powerpc/UBoot-Install .

Known issues: The video card doesn't get initialized, due to resource translation (the DRI drivers map the resource addresses, which don't get properly initialized until the resource is actually activated). I have a patch for that, but I won't commit it because it's not exactly clean. Instead I filed a bug for it in the FreeBSD bugzilla at https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_ ... ?id=223572 .

Most else works, and ethernet works really well, able to nearly saturate the gigabit link (limited only by the other end, I found, my G5 macs can't keep up with it).

I hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for reporting! Very interesting! Many thanks for your work! I am looking forward to using FreeBSD on the X5000.

-- Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

User avatar
Skateman
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: AmigaOne X5000 - FreeBSD Only

Post by Skateman »

Very interesting indeed...

I am looking forward to the Ethernet part. If your X5000 onboard NIC is fully functional and stable, i wonder if it is an Kernel issue?

Thanks again.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon R7 250 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS 4.1 FE / Ubuntu Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world

appturk
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:47 am

Re: AmigaOne X5000 - FreeBSD Only

Post by appturk »

Thanks Justin :)

Spectre660
Posts: 1493
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: AmigaOne X5000 - FreeBSD Only

Post by Spectre660 »

@Skateman

Have you tried the X5000 Linux Ethernet tests using the kernel load address 0x3ffffc0 instead of 1000000 ?
Skateman wrote:Very interesting indeed...

I am looking forward to the Ethernet part. If your X5000 onboard NIC is fully functional and stable, i wonder if it is an Kernel issue?

Thanks again.

User avatar
Skateman
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: AmigaOne X5000 - FreeBSD Only

Post by Skateman »

No i have not tried it yet. I did try Fedora linux to make sure it was not my Ubuntu installation. And Fedora linux gives the same behavior with the NICs.

I will let u know the outcome.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon R7 250 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS 4.1 FE / Ubuntu Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world

User avatar
Skateman
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: AmigaOne X5000 - FreeBSD Only

Post by Skateman »

Like mentioned in the FreeBSD readme i have adjusted the setenv loadaddr from 1000000 to 0x3ffffc0

Ubuntu booted and all functional. The DPAA network issues still appear. To bad..
I will revert the the setenv loadaddr 0x3ffffc0 to 1000000

It was worth the try :-)
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon R7 250 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS 4.1 FE / Ubuntu Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world

appturk
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:47 am

Re: AmigaOne X5000 - FreeBSD Only

Post by appturk »

Skateman wrote:Like mentioned in the FreeBSD readme i have adjusted the setenv loadaddr from 1000000 to 0x3ffffc0

Ubuntu booted and all functional. The DPAA network issues still appear. To bad..
I will revert the the setenv loadaddr 0x3ffffc0 to 1000000

It was worth the try :-)

Ubuntu booted??

Post Reply