Swap partition?

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Post Reply
User avatar
daveyw
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Swap partition?

Post by daveyw »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what's involved in setting up a SWAP partition? I have both OS4.1 and Linux on the same drive.

Alternatively, I might upgrade the RAM, but I seem to recall there were some caveats around having more than 4 GB physical RAM, some kind of incompatibiliy with different cards ??? I am using MEM=3500M in my uboot bootargs.

BTW, I notice is now getting a bit hard to find DDR3 SD-RAM. :(

Thanks!

User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6171
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Swap partition?

Post by xeno74 »

daveyw wrote:Hi,

Can anyone tell me what's involved in setting up a SWAP partition? I have both OS4.1 and Linux on the same drive.

Alternatively, I might upgrade the RAM, but I seem to recall there were some caveats around having more than 4 GB physical RAM, some kind of incompatibiliy with different cards ??? I am using MEM=3500M in my uboot bootargs.

BTW, I notice is now getting a bit hard to find DDR3 SD-RAM. :(

Thanks!
My X5000 has 8GB RAM. It works without any problems. I don't need the boot argument mem=3500M. Which cards are installed in your X5000?

-- Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

User avatar
daveyw
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Swap partition?

Post by daveyw »

Radeon HD 7850 GFX card PCIe, PCI network card (Realtek 8169), PCIe sound card CMI8738/CMI8768), PCI SATA controller Sil3112.

User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6171
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Swap partition?

Post by xeno74 »

daveyw wrote:Radeon HD 7850 GFX card PCIe, PCI network card (Realtek 8169), PCIe sound card CMI8738/CMI8768), PCI SATA controller Sil3112.
Spectre660 wrote: You can also remove the mem=3500M if you are not using an rtl 8169 pci network card.
It seems you need the boot argument mem=3500M because of the Realtek 8169 PCI network card.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

User avatar
daveyw
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Swap partition?

Post by daveyw »

xeno74 wrote:
Spectre660 wrote: You can also remove the mem=3500M if you are not using an rtl 8169 pci network card.
It seems you need the boot argument mem=3500M because of the Realtek 8169 PCI network card.
OK, I've now switched to a PCIe RTL8168 card; would I be able to expand the RAM and drop MEM=3500M?

User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6171
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Swap partition?

Post by xeno74 »

daveyw wrote: OK, I've now switched to a PCIe RTL8168 card; would I be able to expand the RAM and drop MEM=3500M?
Yes, you can drop it.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

User avatar
daveyw
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Swap partition?

Post by daveyw »

Awesome, I'm now upgraded to 8GB. I managed to pick up a 4GB stick identical to the Crucial stick AmigaKit supplied with the board for 46NZD.

Seems to run a little snappier, and Pale Moon does seem to freeze quite so often.

Still might try to add a swap partition, but I'm nervious with the drive sharing partitions for AmigaOS.

Post Reply