Jack-like tool as a standard in AmigaOS4

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
User avatar
HKvalhe
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:39 am
Location: Bergen, Norway
Contact:

Jack-like tool as a standard in AmigaOS4

Post by HKvalhe »

Seeing how popular and useful a multi-tool like Jack is, i would hope to see a more standard approach of it in the future of AmigaOS4. Perhaps in AmigaOS 4.2?

For me, i use a tool like Jack to display the weather, calender, time and date. Perhaps a "Lite" version of it as a standard with the purpose of showing weather, calender, time and date? The AppStore is not always needed, neither the download function connected to OS4Depot either. At least not by everyone. I'm more than happy to be able to display weather, time, date, calender and such easy things that are already present in a tool like Jack.

It's just a suggestion. Don't expect anything, really.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
User avatar
samo79
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:13 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Jack-like tool as a standard in AmigaOS4

Post by samo79 »

But things like that are not related to the OS and it could be done easly installing separately any third party softwares (like FlipClock or Jack indeed)

Maybe at this point one can ask for an integration of one of this already availible tools, maybe having Jack or FlipClock inside the contrib folder in CD, however ..
User avatar
HKvalhe
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:39 am
Location: Bergen, Norway
Contact:

Re: Jack-like tool as a standard in AmigaOS4

Post by HKvalhe »

samo79 wrote:But things like that are not related to the OS and it could be done easly installing separately any third party softwares (like FlipClock or Jack indeed)

Maybe at this point one can ask for an integration of one of this already availible tools, maybe having Jack or FlipClock inside the contrib folder in CD, however ..
Yeah, what you say makes sense. Having such tools inside a Contribution Folder on a CD or something would be very useful.

However, i also miss a Lite version of Jack that would act in the middle of FlipClock and the main Jack, but without the AppStore for instance.

Anything is possible if we only believe :)
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
User avatar
samo79
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:13 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Jack-like tool as a standard in AmigaOS4

Post by samo79 »

Sure anythings new would be cool, but right now they for sure have other priorities for OS4, keep in mind that currently we miss a lot of big but really basic features for a modern OS, for example a decent print system just to mention one :)
Aniway I believe this forum section was created mostly for specific and "little" OS request rathen than that ..
User avatar
HKvalhe
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:39 am
Location: Bergen, Norway
Contact:

Re: Jack-like tool as a standard in AmigaOS4

Post by HKvalhe »

samo79 wrote:Sure anythings new would be cool, but right now they for sure have other priorities for OS4, keep in mind that currently we miss a lot of big but really basic features for a modern OS, for example a decent print system just to mention one :)
Aniway I believe this forum section was created mostly for specific and "little" OS request rathen than that ..
You're absolutely right :) Off topic, but the new printer system is one of many things we really need. Many of us have multi printer with copy, scanning and printing functions. It would help a lot to be able to easily print, copy and scan things with our multi printers directly through a modern, state-of-the-art AmigaOS. :)
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:56 am
Contact:

Re: Jack-like tool as a standard in AmigaOS4

Post by kas1e »

That app never was popular, and apps like that should be never ever be in contrib/ because:

1. That app slow on startup even on fast machines (by slow i mean really slow, 20-30 seconds for start on peg2)
2. That app done on hollywood layer and because of it its not fits into usual amiga-like programs which mean to be fast, efficient, small and handy. It can be tasty to have something done on hollywood by hands (for example a-ftp is quite nice), but still it didn't fits to category of professional and quality apps.
3. That app are "combain" which tried to have everything in one program. Its always will be fail, because every app should have their own way. If it editor it should be editor, if it image editor, it should be image editor, if it calculator, it should be calculator. Putting everything what one can think of into one combain always bad and wrong.
4. Any amigaos customer should have the best of possible on CDs/amigaos distrib/contribs , and should know only about best apps. Such apps as tunenet, dbplayer, sketchblock, codebench, db101, stormed5 and another quality software, thats what should be in contribs, not hollywood based programs. If user will in interest to check it later, he can download it from anywhere, but for first install he should have only quality stuff.
5. Making amigaos full blown of all possible programs only because someone think that if there is news about that program on amiga sites without actually testing it normally, then it should be in contibs, make no sense and will make aos4 looks worse.
6. There is still many quality software which fits in contrib much better.
7. Jack, AMC and all that slow-blown stuff should be also removed from amigaos.net. Its not what users should see when they meet with amigaos. They should see the best of it, not the slowest/buggest/strange of it.
User avatar
HKvalhe
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:39 am
Location: Bergen, Norway
Contact:

Re: Jack-like tool as a standard in AmigaOS4

Post by HKvalhe »

kas1e wrote:That app never was popular, and apps like that should be never ever be in contrib/ because:

1. That app slow on startup even on fast machines (by slow i mean really slow, 20-30 seconds for start on peg2)
2. That app done on hollywood layer and because of it its not fits into usual amiga-like programs which mean to be fast, efficient, small and handy. It can be tasty to have something done on hollywood by hands (for example a-ftp is quite nice), but still it didn't fits to category of professional and quality apps.
3. That app are "combain" which tried to have everything in one program. Its always will be fail, because every app should have their own way. If it editor it should be editor, if it image editor, it should be image editor, if it calculator, it should be calculator. Putting everything what one can think of into one combain always bad and wrong.
4. Any amigaos customer should have the best of possible on CDs/amigaos distrib/contribs , and should know only about best apps. Such apps as tunenet, dbplayer, sketchblock, codebench, db101, stormed5 and another quality software, thats what should be in contribs, not hollywood based programs. If user will in interest to check it later, he can download it from anywhere, but for first install he should have only quality stuff.
5. Making amigaos full blown of all possible programs only because someone think that if there is news about that program on amiga sites without actually testing it normally, then it should be in contibs, make no sense and will make aos4 looks worse.
6. There is still many quality software which fits in contrib much better.
7. Jack, AMC and all that slow-blown stuff should be also removed from amigaos.net. Its not what users should see when they meet with amigaos. They should see the best of it, not the slowest/buggest/strange of it.
I never expected Jack to be popular, but many are using it. I might agree that Jack should not be a standard part of AmigaOS4. Perhaps it would be wise to create a tool in the middle of Jack and FlipClock? With weather cast, the clock displaying second, minute, time, date, week, month and year, and the calender. That's more than enough really. The AppStore is not really needed. I do not use the AppStore. For me i display just time, calender and the weather with Jack. That's all i use it for, nothing more than that.

We need such a tool with the function similar to that seen on MacOS X and Windows. If Jack is not that solution, then we need a standard that works better than Jack for that to be intergrated into AmigaOS4 or in the Contribution on a CD, for that's matter.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
User avatar
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 1506
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:25 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

Re: Jack-like tool as a standard in AmigaOS4

Post by nbache »

HKvalhe wrote:For me i display just time, calender and the weather
Then choose your favourite clock, calendar and weather utilities freely and avoid being bogged down by someone forcing them into the same huge box of cr*p with lots of things you don't need.

This is the beauty of the AmigaOS openness and modularity.

Best regards,

Niels
User avatar
HKvalhe
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:39 am
Location: Bergen, Norway
Contact:

Re: Jack-like tool as a standard in AmigaOS4

Post by HKvalhe »

nbache wrote:
HKvalhe wrote:For me i display just time, calender and the weather
Then choose your favourite clock, calendar and weather utilities freely and avoid being bogged down by someone forcing them into the same huge box of cr*p with lots of things you don't need.

This is the beauty of the AmigaOS openness and modularity.

Best regards,

Niels
I don't understand the fear of including such tools as a Contribution. As a Contribution, users still can choose what programs and tools to install into AmigaOS4, just like the Contribution in Update 2 CD of AmigaOS 4.1. There is one thing we all have to accept: The time when Amiga relied on custom chips and classic Amiga enviroment, is dead and over. This is the next-generation Amiga. Hardware-independent, modern AmigaOS, you name it. That also means we have to allow the Amiga to use components of today. Most modern OSes have tools to display weather, time, date, calender and such things you see. Jack doesn't have to be that program, but a tool that make use of these things, without AppStore for instance.

This can be done as a free choice for users without forcing them the choice. I'm too are for freedom. I never liked the Microsoft monopholy.

I want the Amiga to become a big name again. I want the Amiga to be important again. Maybe it's not possible to archive the same popularity as in the golden years of the 80-ies, but at least show the world that Amiga is still an ideal choice. For me these things are very important, and i will have that belief until i die.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
User avatar
Raziel
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:00 pm
Location: a dying planet

Re: Jack-like tool as a standard in AmigaOS4

Post by Raziel »

HKvalhe wrote:I don't understand the fear of including such tools as a Contribution.
There is no fear, there's OS4Depot
Why double the efforts and waste important dev power and time?
As a Contribution, users still can choose what programs and tools to install into AmigaOS4, just like the Contribution in Update 2 CD of AmigaOS 4.1.
Again, there's OS4Depot
There is one thing we all have to accept: The time when Amiga relied on custom chips and classic Amiga enviroment, is dead and over. This is the next-generation Amiga. Hardware-independent, modern AmigaOS, you name it.
I don't quite understand what this personal statement has to do with the thread but...
That also means we have to allow the Amiga to use components of today.
...OS4Depot
Most modern OSes have tools to display weather, time, date, calender and such things you see.
You are always coming back to this...AmigaOS4 is AmigaOS4, "other" OSs are "other" OSs...
Do not compare apples with peaches
Jack doesn't have to be that program, but a tool that make use of these things, without AppStore for instance.
This can be done as a free choice for users without forcing them the choice. I'm too are for freedom.
There seems to be a very easy solution for you then, ask the author of Jack to code you a personal version
I never liked the Microsoft monopholy.
I want the Amiga to become a big name again. I want the Amiga to be important again. Maybe it's not possible to archive the same popularity as in the golden years of the 80-ies, but at least show the world that Amiga is still an ideal choice. For me these things are very important, and i will have that belief until i die.
That's your personal demons you have to fight there, sorry, can't help you with that
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Post Reply