HD crashed or is there still some hope?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Reth
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

HD crashed or is there still some hope?

Post by Reth »

Hi again,

within my Peg2 (AOS4.1 last update) I'm now using a second HD (2,5" which comes from a already died Laptop). Since quite a while this HD sometimes make strange noices ("klock") so that I'm fearing it's some kind of header crash or so.
When trying to read/write data from/to this HD I often get the following SFS requesters where SFS and system need quite a few minutes (within nearly no response is coming from system) to bring them up:
HD_Error.png
HD_Error.png (21.97 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
Does anybody has some helpful hint on this? Might a lowlevel format bring some help so that at least the still working parts of the HD could be used?

Again many thanks in advance!

Best Regards
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: HD crashed or is there still some hope?

Post by Slayer »

Just transfer everything off it that you want to keep and then quick format it using SFS2 if you can or JXFS preferably (but that's my personal choice)

These messages aren't as serious as they sound (in general that is with invalidation errors etc) in my experience there has never been any physical damage but it does need to be formatted.
Since your drive was going clunk... well, this is an entirely different manner, I would suggest getting all the data off (I did this very thing only on Saturday gone) and replacing it and throwing it out, there's not much you can do!

I haven't used SFS for years and I don't use a RECYCLED directory either but again this is personal preference, I think staying with SFS2 and JXFS you basically remove problems and as far as I'm concerned removing the .recycled dir just adds to its stability... of course pays to keep those delete checks in place... good luck ;)
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

This is not an SFS file system error but a read error from the hardware. Quick format will not help. You should replace the drive ASAP. Then you might try a full format or even a low-level format (if you find a tool for doing that) but you should only use the drive for temporary data, not as a system drive and not for backup/archiving.
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Yes I posted backwards, suggested the quick format for simple errors. But the clunk clunk scenario is a definite cause for alarm.
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
colinw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by colinw »

Reth wrote: Since quite a while this HD sometimes make strange noices ("klock") so that I'm fearing it's some kind of header crash or so.
Didn't it occur to you that this was going to happen ? :roll:

Don't mess around with old hardware, it's so cheap these days you'd be doing yourself a big favour
to go out and buy a brand new drive, then simply restore your files from your latest backups.
Reth
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Reth »

Not really obvious since there have been no trouble so far. So I just recently assigned the "clock" noisde to the HD and it has been confirmed after opening the case.
To make sure I lowlevel formatted the device including RDB, deleted and created the partition again and formatted it normally (not fast) afterwards. But as expected when restoring the files the same behaviour occurs and hence the HD will phase out soon.

Of course new hardware is cheap and can easily be obtained. But in my opinion it is a real pitty that so many still usable hardware (not my HD but lots of other ones) is just thrown away while it could be still useful for somebody else (I'm using a Peg2 I still connect ancient IDE drives to it which nobady uses anylonger since nowadays everybody uses SATA, PATA, ... whatsoever). But anyway there will be a new download and backup drive here in my Peg2.

Thanks for your support.