Where are .so files placed all over?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Reth
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Where are .so files placed all over?

Post by Reth »

Hi everybody,

I wonder where are the "normal" places within these files should reside? Thought it should only be SOBJS: (well besides he ones which come with timberwolf of course)?!
Now Itried to use Dune Legacy but it does not start since it cannot find libSDL_gfx.so. I searched across my partitions and I found it within SDK:local/newlib/lib (well next to a lot of more of these .so files)!
So I wonder whether they're belonging there and need to be spreaded over SOBJS: and SDK-Subfolders or if they are misplaced within SDK?
If they also belong within the SDK subfolders, how can I define them to one common SOBJS: path to be searched for? Or do I have to place them redundantly?

Many thanks in advance!

Best Regards
chris

Re: Where are .so files placed all over?

Post by chris »

Reth wrote:Hi everybody,

I wonder where are the "normal" places within these files should reside? Thought it should only be SOBJS: (well besides he ones which come with timberwolf of course)?!
Now Itried to use Dune Legacy but it does not start since it cannot find libSDL_gfx.so. I searched across my partitions and I found it within SDK:local/newlib/lib (well next to a lot of more of these .so files)!
So I wonder whether they're belonging there and need to be spreaded over SOBJS: and SDK-Subfolders or if they are misplaced within SDK?
If they also belong within the SDK subfolders, how can I define them to one common SOBJS: path to be searched for? Or do I have to place them redundantly?
The search order is:
(maybe PROGDIR:SObjs, not sure)
PROGDIR:
SObjs:

Only gcc will look for them in SDK:local/newlib/lib. It's actually best not to have them in there, just keep them in SObjs: and create links from the SDK to SObjs:
Reth
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Reth »

chris wrote: Only gcc will look for them in SDK:local/newlib/lib. It's actually best not to have them in there, just keep them in SObjs: and create links from the SDK to SObjs:
Thanks! Soft- or hardlinks or doesn't this matter?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

If they are on a different volume, they have to be soft links, eg:

MakeLink Soft Games:Legacy/SObjs/libSDL_gfx.so SDK:local/newlib/lib/libSDL_gfx.so
cheers
tony
xenic

Post by xenic »

Reth wrote:
chris wrote: Only gcc will look for them in SDK:local/newlib/lib. It's actually best not to have them in there, just keep them in SObjs: and create links from the SDK to SObjs:
Thanks! Soft- or hardlinks or doesn't this matter?
If you move the SObjs and install a new SDK you will still have the old versions in SObjs: or when you install a new version of OS 4.1 the previous files in SObjs: might be gone. Everybody is entitled to their opinion but I'd say leave them where they are installed. If the system looks for them in PROGDIR: as Chris says, just copy the one in the SDK to the "Dune Legacy" directory and the Dune will find it even if you install new SDK and OS4.1.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE