SObjs partly uploading

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Raziel

SObjs partly uploading

Post by Raziel »

Am i allowed to upload/add some/all of the following SObjs in a program/package on OS4Depot as "addon" to a certain program or is this prohibited?

libSDL-1.2.so
libvorbisfile.so
libvorbis.so
libogg.so
libFLAC.so
libpng15.so.15
libtheoradec.so
libfaad.so
libz.so
libstdc++.so
libgcc.so
libc.so

Thank you very much
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: SObjs partly uploading

Post by nbache »

Raziel wrote:Am i allowed to upload/add some/all of the following SObjs in a program/package on OS4Depot as "addon" to a certain program or is this prohibited?
I don't know whether it is allowed or not, but in my opinion you shouldn't do it anyway.

If you do, people downloading your package some time in the future may end up installing older versions of libraries on top of newer, as especially .so files do not have any version inside. Apart from that, it is wasting space/bandwidth to include those in every package which uses them.

What I would suggest instead is that you provide a list of requirements in your documentation and, if you want to be really friendly, links to where they (at the time of writing) can be found in their latest version, as well as instructions and/or a script for installing them.

Best regards,

Niels
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

nbache wrote: If you do, people downloading your package some time in the future may end up installing older versions of libraries on top of newer, as especially .so files do not have any version inside. Apart from that, it is wasting space/bandwidth to include those in every package which uses them.
If sobjs are included with a program they should not be installed into SYS:SObjs but simply installed along with the program. That's the beauty of sobjs that every program can use it's own possibly incompatible version of an sobj (installed locally into PROGDIR:) and they won't interfere with each other unlike with Amiga shared libraries where the first program run "decides" which version is used.
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

Raziel wrote: libSDL-1.2.so
libvorbisfile.so
libvorbis.so
libogg.so
libFLAC.so
libpng15.so.15
libtheoradec.so
libfaad.so
libz.so
libstdc++.so
libgcc.so
libc.so
I wouldn't include libstdc++, libgcc and libc as they should be included as standard with the OS.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

salass00 wrote:That's the beauty of sobjs that every program can use it's own possibly incompatible version of an sobj ...
Beauty? Hmm, I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder ;-).

Best regards,

Niels
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

nbache wrote:
Raziel wrote:Am i allowed to upload/add some/all of the following SObjs in a program/package on OS4Depot as "addon" to a certain program or is this prohibited?
I don't know whether it is allowed or not, but in my opinion you shouldn't do it anyway.
OK, i will wait until a dev explicitely tells me "Yes, you are allowed to" or "No, they are copyrighted"
If you do, people downloading your package some time in the future may end up installing older versions of libraries on top of newer, as especially .so files do not have any version inside. Apart from that, it is wasting space/bandwidth to include those in every package which uses them.
Exactly my POV, thank you for the confirmation
What I would suggest instead is that you provide a list of requirements in your documentation and, if you want to be really friendly, links to where they (at the time of writing) can be found in their latest version, as well as instructions and/or a script for installing them.
I have done the first and offered the second as i perfectly agree with you.
Unfortunately few people think providing the program isn't enough and looking up one or two added dependencies per 2 years is far too much work for them :-(

Thank you very much for your answer
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

No, you should not copy any without checking the copyright status and licence of every file.
ExecSG Team Lead