Text Mode in Workbench Windows

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
djrikki

Text Mode in Workbench Windows

Post by djrikki »

Hi,

I just discovered a checkbox in Prefs/Workbench->Text Mode -> Options

"Bound scrolling of drawer contents"

My suggestion is that this be ticked by default! Its seems strange why anyone would want to have it unticked.

Also on the same topic, when viewing a drawer in regular Icon mode there is no option to do the same. Bound scrolling.

Both should be ON by default.
Thematic

Re: Text Mode in Workbench Windows

Post by Thematic »

No.
* AmigaOneXE 750FX 512+0 MB RAM, Radeon 9200, sii3112ide, DVDRW ~ AmigaOS 4.1 Final
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Uh, thanks for the hint djrikki :-)

I too would love to see such an option for Icon display in windows
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

@thematic

There is zero benefit in the current system. Restricting scrolling around the content ('Bounding') is something that will have to come in time.

Perhaps when 4.2 is released we can hope that Steven and his team will focus on all the smaller niggles that make such a huge difference
to end users. To steal a word from elsewhere 'Papercuts'.

Just a small sample...

Workbench Windows that can open within themselves
Workbench Windows with toolbars, parent dir etc
Bounded content scrolling
Improvements to AmiDock, children (sub-docks) become attached their parent in other words they don't have their own x/y properties they always open
relative to their parent's position on the screen.
BillEaves
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by BillEaves »

djrikki wrote:Hi,

I just discovered a checkbox in Prefs/Workbench->Text Mode -> Options
"Bound scrolling of drawer contents"
My suggestion is that this be ticked by default! Its seems strange why anyone would want to have it unticked.
What a strange option to have, it should be bound all the time and not even have an option to disable it ?
Also on the same topic, when viewing a drawer in regular Icon mode there is no option to do the same. Bound scrolling.
Agreed. Both should be ON and without any WB configuration needed.
Thematic

Post by Thematic »

Agreed. Both should be ON and without any WB configuration needed.
Changing something will of course make for a longer changelog, but this one would coerce users to use the software in a less varied way. I don't see how keeping the option there would obstruct anyone.
* AmigaOneXE 750FX 512+0 MB RAM, Radeon 9200, sii3112ide, DVDRW ~ AmigaOS 4.1 Final
xenic

Post by xenic »

@thematic
I want as many options as possible. I'm seldom satisfied with someone elses decisions about features and GUI. Why remove an option that already exists? I can understand rejecting a new option that might be time consuming and difficult to implement but why eliminate existing options? However, I'm not sure what "bounded scrolling of drawer contents" even means :-)
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

xenic wrote:@thematic
I want as many options as possible. I'm seldom satisfied with someone elses decisions about features and GUI. Why remove an option that already exists? I can understand rejecting a new option that might be time consuming and difficult to implement but why eliminate existing options? However, I'm not sure what "bounded scrolling of drawer contents" even means :-)
It means, if checked, you cannot move the right/left and/or up/down sliders if all icons are already within the viewable space of the drawer window.
Go check, open a window, show it as icons and scroll the mouse wheel or press the little arrows up/beneath and right/left of the sliders. You will scroll the icons out of sight.

"Bounded" would mean this will be prohibited, you won't be able to scroll any further as the last visible ison in it's drawer window and as such won't be able to scroll icons out of sight.
If e.g. you have a drawer with many un-snapshotted icons and set the window to "show all" and "icons" you will of course still get the possibility to move the slider to reach the farthest icons...but not more.

Talking about it makes me think...while i love to have it in text mode it kind of takes away freedom in icons mode...my icons don't want to be bounded ;-)
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

I don't really care about hurting my icons 'feelings'. There is little if no benefit to have unrestricted scrolling... its just another logical step in tightening and standardising Workbench behaviour.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

djrikki wrote:I don't really care about hurting my icons 'feelings'. There is little if no benefit to have unrestricted scrolling... its just another logical step in tightening and standardising Workbench behaviour.
Maybe it's just because it's a new feature?
All the tweaking will surely be done when 4.2 arrived...

...believe! :-D
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg