Usbctrl Restart freezes system

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
xenic

Usbctrl Restart freezes system

Post by xenic »

My SAM Flex has occasional keyboard dropout since update 1. It's a rare occurance and I set up an icon in AmiDock to run "Usbctrl Restart" so I can reenable the keyboard using the mouse. Yesterday I had one of those rare keyboard dropouts and discovered that "Usbctrl Restart" freezes my system if there is a flash drive (memory stick) plugged into a USB port when attempting a restart. I tested this with several flash dirves and ran "Usbctrl Restart" from a shell to be sure that the script had nothing to do with the problem.

SYSTEM: Sam Flex 800 with OS4.1u3
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
turbo4.1

Re: Usbctrl Restart freezes system

Post by turbo4.1 »

@xenic
same problem on my sam.
usb2.0 is disabled!
Amiga user since 1987
Sam440Flex 666Mhz, Radeon 9250, 1GB RAM
xenic

Post by xenic »

@turbo4.1
I raised the priority on my Update2 partition, reset the system and booted with Update2. This problem also occurs with Update2 so apparently it's not new to Update3. It's strange that nobody else has reported this problem; I would have thought that someone else would have tried "USBCtrl restart" with a USB stick plugged in before now. Maybe it's just a SAM problem since no A1 or Pegasus users have confirmed this one.
xenic

Post by xenic »

@turbo4.1
It doesn't look like our problem is getting much attention. I would have thought that at least several people would have tried to use USBCtrl restart with flash drives connected to USB ports and either confirmed the problem like you did or let us know that they don't have the problem. It would be nice to know if this is a SAM only problem or if it affects all hardware.

EDIT: Surely someone with an A1 or µA1 could try using "USBCtrl Restart" with a USB media device (like a memory stick) plugged into a USB port and let us know if this is a general bug or only one that affects SAM hardware.
xenic

Post by xenic »

Since I only got confirmation from one other SAM user, I decided to revive this topic. It would be nice to know if this problem exists on other hardware (A1, µA1 X1000 etc.) or is confined to SAM hardware. It's not a difficult test; just insert a Flash drive (memory stick, pen or whatever you call it) and enter "USBCtrl RESTART" in a shell window.
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@xenic
Tryed on pegasos2 with latest aos updates: i just poweron peg2 (with already attached pen, formatted as fat32). Then just "newcli" and "USBCtrl RESTART". After hitting of enter, information window popups with words "a program has requested the USB stack to restart. Do you accept this? YES/NO". Pressing NO, back me to shell (no freezes). Running "USBCtrl RESTART" again, and pressing YES remove from main WB screen usb pen's icon. Then i plug off / plug on USB pen again, and pen icon _not_ popups on WB screen (but imho RESTART should mean RESTART, not OFF ?)

Then i try "USBCtrl START" and plug off/plugon my usb stick again (just in case maybe restarting not works) : still no icon on WB, and no assigned device in system.

Dumpdebugbuffer show no errors for me while i plays with "usbctrl", but still, restarting should restart the stuff, and icon should popups again ?

Trying also with "usbctrl stop" and then "usbctrl start", and still, when i plugoff/plugon pen stick, icon not appears on wb screen and no devices detected. In the log-viewer all looks like it works (usb stack terminated / usb stack full booted).

So i have no freezes/bugs with it on peg2, but maybe still something wrong , as it reacts a bit unlogical in end for me (maybe after stop/start or restarting, need to restart something else manually, dunno).
xenic

Post by xenic »

@kas1e
Thanks for trying to reproduce the problem. Your results indicate that there is a problem with USBCtrl RESTART on the Pegasos2 but not as severe as on a SAM (freeze). I can't try USBCtrl STOP/USBCtrl START on my SAM because it only has USB input and I would not be able to type anything if the USB stack is stopped :-)
Thematic

Post by Thematic »

kas1e wrote: Then i try "USBCtrl START" and plug off/plugon my usb stick again (just in case maybe restarting not works) : still no icon on WB, and no assigned device in system.
Interesting because Pegasos 2 is supposed to have fully working USB _hardware_, unlike (many?) A1-XE boards.
* AmigaOneXE 750FX 512+0 MB RAM, Radeon 9200, sii3112ide, DVDRW ~ AmigaOS 4.1 Final
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

AmigaOneXE here...
Similar problem.

I have an USB to MIDI converter which works through CAMD and pretty good.

Executing "USBCtrl RESTART" gives me first a requester telling me
"A program has requested the USB stack to restart.
Do you accept that?".
On clicking "OK" it detaches all of the USB devices (USB stick, USB2MIDI, keyboard, mouse) and presents me with an error requester telling me:

CAMD USB Driver Failure
Driver error USBERR_DETACHED

Nothing gets hooked up after that leaving me only with a case reboot, but it doesn't crash or freeze my system.

If i pull out the USB of my USB2MIDI device i get another error requester:

CAMD USB Driver Failure
Driver error USBERR_STALL

I think i need to tell Lyle about this :-)

Again, no crash
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Raziel wrote:Executing "USBCtrl RESTART" gives me first a requester telling me
"A program has requested the USB stack to restart.
Do you accept that?".
Same procedure here altrough when i click "OK" my machine will freeze instantanely !
I did the test many time but with the same result at the end, I have a Sam Flex 800 with only the usual USB mouse and keyboard plugged