USB Stack Issue still unsolved...

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
User avatar
HKvalhe
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:39 am
Location: Bergen, Norway
Contact:

USB Stack Issue still unsolved...

Post by HKvalhe »

3 years ago, if i am not mistaken, a report of USB stack issue in AmigaOS4 was sent to Hyperion Entertainment.

It seems that the USB stack issue that mostly happens during startup is still present. Many might have thought it was a hardware issue with some AmigaOnes, like SAM4xx, but actually seem to be an issue in AmigaOS4 itself, which is still present. The only solution at present is to disconnect and reconnect USB devices when such happens during startup.

Hope this can be fixed, because as this report is about 3 years old and still not fixed, in addition to many of the bugs and freeze issue in AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition, this is just embarrashing. I believe i'm speaking for ALL Amiga users when i am saying all this. We actually PAY for your products, so we expect them to work properly. All this is said with the LOVE for the Amiga. Nothing else.

Please fix the issues, as they are not just ONE issue, but several already mentioned too-many-times-issues in AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition...
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio

User avatar
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:06 pm
Location: North Florida, near the Big Bend

Re: USB Stack Issue still unsolved...

Post by LyleHaze »

I believe i'm speaking for ALL Amiga users when i am saying all this.
Please don't speak for me. I have no trouble at all speaking for myself when I think it is needed.

User avatar
tommysammy
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:03 pm
Location: Isselburg,Germany
Contact:

Re: USB Stack Issue still unsolved...

Post by tommysammy »

HKvalhe wrote:3 years ago, if i am not mistaken, a report of USB stack issue in AmigaOS4 was sent to Hyperion Entertainment.

It seems that the USB stack issue that mostly happens during startup is still present. Many might have thought it was a hardware issue with some AmigaOnes, like SAM4xx, but actually seem to be an issue in AmigaOS4 itself, which is still present. The only solution at present is to disconnect and reconnect USB devices when such happens during startup.

Hope this can be fixed, because as this report is about 3 years old and still not fixed, in addition to many of the bugs and freeze issue in AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition, this is just embarrashing. I believe i'm speaking for ALL Amiga users when i am saying all this. We actually PAY for your products, so we expect them to work properly. All this is said with the LOVE for the Amiga. Nothing else.

Please fix the issues, as they are not just ONE issue, but several already mentioned too-many-times-issues in AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition...
Please don`t talk for me.I have never had this problem with my X1000
AmigaOne X1000 Betatester A1-X1090
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network

Spectre660
Posts: 1492
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: Montserrat

Re: USB Stack Issue still unsolved...

Post by Spectre660 »

keyboard issue can also happen in Uboot on a reset on the Sam460ex.

User avatar
HKvalhe
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:39 am
Location: Bergen, Norway
Contact:

Re: USB Stack Issue still unsolved...

Post by HKvalhe »

Spectre660 wrote:keyboard issue can also happen in Uboot on a reset on the Sam460ex.
That is correct. Both mouse and keyboard. I contacted ACube on this issue, and they made it clear that this is an issue Hyperion Entertainment have to fix. It's not a hardware problem. It's an OS problem.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio

User avatar
A3000T
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:03 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: USB Stack Issue still unsolved...

Post by A3000T »

HKvalhe wrote: It seems that the USB stack issue that mostly happens during startup is still present. Many might have thought it was a hardware issue with some AmigaOnes, like SAM4xx, but actually seem to be an issue in AmigaOS4 itself, which is still present. The only solution at present is to disconnect and reconnect USB devices when such happens during startup.
Is this about bug#7614 (USBCtrl Restart freezes if a MassStorage device is plugged)?
On my A1X1000 this does not happen during startup; only when I type the shell command "usbctrl restart".

Kind regards,

Dennis

User avatar
HKvalhe
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:39 am
Location: Bergen, Norway
Contact:

Re: USB Stack Issue still unsolved...

Post by HKvalhe »

@A3000T
It's about a 3 years old USB stack issue still present in the OS.

The thing you mentioned was hoped to solve the issue. It didn't...

The problem is still in the OS.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio

TomSoniq
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: USB Stack Issue still unsolved...

Post by TomSoniq »

I've been facing similar problems so I thought it's well worth to bring this up once more.

Scenario:
SAM440 connected to USB mouse and keyboard via a KVM switch

Workaround for startup issue:
Disable bootkeyboard.usbfd and bootmouse.usbfd kickstart modules

Workaround when switching KVM from other source back to Amiga
Disconnect/reconnect both mouse and keyboard from/to the KVM switch! :?

To me it seems the OS4 USB stack doesn't like keyboard/mice that have been in use by someone else before. Regarding the startup issue this "someone else" is bootkeyboard/bootmouse. For the KVM switching issue it's the computer connected to the other input of the switch.

This really should be investigated further and finally be resolved.

User avatar
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer
Posts: 591
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:40 am
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Contact:

Re: USB Stack Issue still unsolved...

Post by broadblues »

TomSoniq wrote:I've been facing similar problems so I thought it's well worth to bring this up once more.

Scenario:
SAM440 connected to USB mouse and keyboard via a KVM switch

Workaround for startup issue:
Disable bootkeyboard.usbfd and bootmouse.usbfd kickstart modules

Workaround when switching KVM from other source back to Amiga
Disconnect/reconnect both mouse and keyboard from/to the KVM switch! :?

To me it seems the OS4 USB stack doesn't like keyboard/mice that have been in use by someone else before. Regarding the startup issue this "someone else" is bootkeyboard/bootmouse. For the KVM switching issue it's the computer connected to the other input of the switch.

This really should be investigated further and finally be resolved.
What is your startup issue? I have no issues with bootmouse and bootkeyboard on my SAM 440 Flex.
The issue could well be the KVM. Best workaround is not to use a KVM....

User avatar
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer
Posts: 1412
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: USB Stack Issue still unsolved...

Post by tonyw »

broadblues wrote: What is your startup issue? I have no issues with bootmouse and bootkeyboard on my SAM 440 Flex.
The issue could well be the KVM. Best workaround is not to use a KVM....
I agree with Tom here. I have always had connection/reconnection problems with my Sam 440 (that's the original EP, not the Flex, which is fine).

I have only a USB mouse and USB keyboard, permanently connected, but sometimes it boots up with one or the other not working. The only recourse is to disconnect and replug the offending device. That restores that one to working but invariably causes the other to go off line. I then have to disconnect/replug the other, which comes back up without disturbing the first one.

I bought my Sam 440 EP over ten years ago and it has always behaved like this. Since it's the same software running on my Sam 440-Flex, Sam 460 and all my other machines, I feel pretty sure that it's a hardware issue in the Sam 440 EP. However, that was many years ago now, they are not being made any more and there is no likelihood of their being improved. I just have to live with it.
cheers
tony

Post Reply