Amidock limits

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
swoop

Amidock limits

Post by swoop »

I have Amidock set up as essentially the default from update 3 with the addition of a subdock which has my work programs in, such as Pagestream, Turbocalc, Wordworth etc. There are eleven icons, and Amidock is locked to the bottom right of my screen.
If I try to add another program/icon to my main dock it becomes two rows high instead of one icon longer.
I had a similar result when I used ADRipper, or Amiupdate, and had not set appidockies to open on the extras subdock.
The 11 icons are Extras install, Notepad, Multiview, Shell, Unarc, AmiPDF, WBHelp, Extras subdock, internet subdock, players subdock and work subdock.

When I installed update4 runuae was added to Amidock and my work subdock disappeared.
When I entered Amidock prefs, the work subdock info was still there, but not displayed on the dock and hence not available.
This is not an update 4 problem, as this behaviour is from update 3 as well.
There is probably something I have not set, or wrongly set, in Amidock layout, but I can't figure it out.

General prefs are
Place AppDockies in = Ectras
Respect screen titlebar = selected
flashing icons = selected
main dock layout is -
Dock type = icons
Orientation = Horizontal (drag bar right)
Placement = Always in background
Snap to = bottom right
popup size = medium
icon names = 1 line
icon alignment = bottom
icon scale factor = 100%
Icon minimum size = 8
Icon maximum size = 256
Appearance prefs are -
Drag bar = picture = sys:prefs/presets/AmiDock/def_bar
bright edges = 60%
Dark edges = 60%
icon area = picture and transparency = sys:prefs/presets/AmiDock/def_masterbackground
bright edges = 60%
Dark edges = 60%
Popup Icon = sys:prefs/presets/AmiDock/def_masterpopup.info
Transparensy = 75%
Font = Bitstream Vera Sans/16
Text have drop-shadow = selected
As far as I can remeber I have not fiddled with the prefs a lot, just position, transparency and drag-bar.

Can anyone shed any light on this, as I would like to have runuae in amidock.
djrikki

Re: Amidock limits

Post by djrikki »

Annoying is it! No auto-resize, scratching my head the other day after it happened to me.

But, if you move the mouse pointer slowly toward the end of the first row the mouse pointer will change to a red arrow. Now hold down the left mouse button and move to the right.
Petrol
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Petrol »

In the last tab of amidock preferences, you must turn on "the dock is sizeable" (the first tick). You can right click on your dock and select "auto resize".
For subdock, I recommend you to try Smartbutton.docky from centaurz (on OS4depot)

Cordialy,
Petrol.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Petrol wrote:In the last tab of amidock preferences, you must turn on "the dock is sizeable" (the first tick). You can right click on your dock and select "auto resize".
For subdock, I recommend you to try Smartbutton.docky from centaurz (on OS4depot)

Cordialy,
Petrol.
I have only "Dock is minimizable" and "Dock is hidden" in the last tab (Misc)

Do you happen to work with a beta version?

Right-Click and "auto-resize" is there but it only minimizes my dock, so it's not really useable
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
swoop

Post by swoop »

djrikki wrote:Annoying is it! No auto-resize, scratching my head the other day after it happened to me.

But, if you move the mouse pointer slowly toward the end of the first row the mouse pointer will change to a red arrow. Now hold down the left mouse button and move to the right.
I could not get the mouse pointer to change, and hence I could not try your solution...........but
there is an auto-resize option on the menu, under edit, and that worked.

Thanks for at least for pointing me in the right direction.
swoop

Post by swoop »

Petrol wrote:In the last tab of amidock preferences, you must turn on "the dock is sizeable" (the first tick). You can right click on your dock and select "auto resize".

Cordialy,
Petrol.
Hi, I found the right click and auto resize, thanks very much.
I don't have a "the dock is sizeable" option though.

Anyway thanks again.
swoop

Post by swoop »

Raziel wrote: I have only "Dock is minimizable" and "Dock is hidden" in the last tab (Misc)

Do you happen to work with a beta version?

Right-Click and "auto-resize" is there but it only minimizes my dock, so it's not really useable
I don't have either of those two options selected, and auto-resize worked for me.
Try it without "Dock is minimizable" selected.
Petrol
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Petrol »

Oups, you're right for the minimizable thing! Wrong french translation.
But since day one, amidock adjusts automaticaly his size, and go to another line when his size is upper the screen width.

Try toquit amidock and edit your setting (in SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/) with notePad and search for:
<key>Name</key>
<string>Default Category</string>
<key>LockSize</key>
<bool>TRUE</bool>
Change "TRUE" to "FALSE" and save, and restart Amidock.

As for missing Subdock, something must be wrong in this file!

Petrol.