Why is Mode xxx is not supported at the given frequency now?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Why is Mode xxx is not supported at the given frequency

Post by Hypex »

I can confirm by the following debug output that it still doesn't work.:-x

Mode 320x 256x 8@60 is not supported at the given frequency
Mode 320x 256x24@60 is not supported at the given frequency
Mode 320x 256x16@60 is not supported at the given frequency

Which rather annoys me as I officially reported it as a bug since getting betatester status. And this comes down to a change in the code, which would be known about, not tracking down a crash. Looks like it's been put on the back burner.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

Is this really a bug, or just a change in the intended behaviour?

Previously it seems that it automatically added "D" when necessary, but now you have to add it if necessary. While I feel the former makes more sense, the latter does still work.
TheDaddy

Post by TheDaddy »

I am talking to Chris over at amigans.net and I can't display 320 resolutions either...
samo79

Post by samo79 »

ChrisH wrote:Is this really a bug, or just a change in the intended behaviour?

Previously it seems that it automatically added "D" when necessary, but now you have to add it if necessary. While I feel the former makes more sense, the latter does still work.
Hi Chris, just to report you a strange related behaviour that i had during the Update 4 installing, once i installed the Update the installer comes with a resolution request for RunInUAE, naturally i follow it and i set a proper 320*240 (or 320x256 don't remember right now)

Then when i reboot (at installing done at 100%) my entire Workbench screen was opened at 320 instead of my usual resolution (that is 1680X1050)

So i opened the screenmode prefs (with some difficult ehm ..) and i deselect all that 320 crap, then at the next reboot all goes well but once i re-active manually (from screenmode) all that 320 resolutions i didn't be able to use them of your RunInUAE

At the end i'm using RunInUAE at 640*480, so i can confirm that maybe some problems still altrough i didn't re-check it yet, i will do later when i have more time ;)
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

samo79 wrote:Hi Chris, just to report you a strange related behaviour that i had during the Update 4 installing, once i installed the Update the installer comes with a resolution request for RunInUAE, naturally i follow it and i set a proper 320*240 (or 320x256 don't remember right now)
What do you mean by "i set a proper 320*240"? RunInUAE does this for you, so you should not need to it manually. Or do you mean you let the installer add it?
Then when i reboot (at installing done at 100%) my entire Workbench screen was opened at 320 instead of my usual resolution (that is 1680X1050)

So i opened the screenmode prefs (with some difficult ehm ..) and i deselect all that 320 crap, then at the next reboot all goes well but once i re-active manually (from screenmode) all that 320 resolutions i didn't be able to use them of your RunInUAE
What do you mean by "i deselect all that 320 crap"? Do you mean you UNticked it from "Manual settings"? That will likely have broken RunInUAE's 320 resolutions, because of a bug in ScreenModes. In that case either re-install RunInUAE (and add the 320 stuff again), or else manually add "D" to the end of those resolutions in your monitor's tooltypes.

If you run into the same problem with Workbench using 320x... (I don't know why), then please just use ScreenModes (on Available Modes tab) to tell Workbench to use the normal resolution.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

ChrisH wrote:Is this really a bug, or just a change in the intended behaviour?
I'd say it's a change in the behaviour just to make our lives harder. Be good if we did have change logs instead of wondering why with each update something is broken and we are not told why. And how we fix it.

Look at the start of this thread. It's like the problem wasn't known and my hardware was suspect. Then we see a small post confirming something was changed.
Previously it seems that it automatically added "D" when necessary
This is the first time I've noticed this "D". I've seen fumbling with refresh rates and "+RB" that didn't work. I just added this D to a screenmode in my tooltypes and it worked! I can't believe it was that simple. Honestly, can't we be told about these things instead of finding them out the hard way and posting on forums?

I also noticed it works better than using Picasso96Mode to set it al up as that reports my modes as 640x48. Perhaps it was my editing but I shouldn't have had to go through all that setting it up again the hard way. Now I find I didn't see need that hard work as it could have been fixed with a "D" Arghhhhh!!! Developers :rtfm

I checked the documentation in question and it reports nothing of the sort is needed. It still says that it will double the refresh automatically! So the documentation is now buggy you could say as it hasn't been updated. At least Update 4 didn't update it.

Doubling the refresh makes sense as the minimum screenmode a graphic card supports is usually 640x480 VGA. Double width our 320 low res. Now next lets hope they change the code and documentation together! :-)
samo79

Post by samo79 »

ChrisH wrote:What do you mean by "i set a proper 320*240"? RunInUAE does this for you, so you should not need to it manually. Or do you mean you let the installer add it?
Yes I let the installer to do it when i install the Update 4
ChrisH wrote:What do you mean by "i deselect all that 320 crap"? Do you mean you UNticked it from "Manual settings"?
Yes exactly, then i unticked it from the screenmode prefs window because at first start (after i install the update for the first time) the entire Workbench was opened at 320 instead of my own standard video resolution (1680*1050)
ChrisH wrote:That will likely have broken RunInUAE's 320 resolutions, because of a bug in ScreenModes. In that case either re-install RunInUAE (and add the 320 stuff again), or else manually add "D" to the end of those resolutions in your monitor's tooltypes.

If you run into the same problem with Workbench using 320x... (I don't know why), then please just use ScreenModes (on Available Modes tab) to tell Workbench to use the normal resolution.
Ok thanks i will try :)
m3x
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by m3x »

Hypex wrote:I'd say it's a change in the behaviour just to make our lives harder. Be good if we did have change logs instead of wondering why with each update something is broken and we are not told why. And how we fix it.
RTG library was changed to use Coordinated Video Timings (CVT) instead of the old Generalized Timing Formula (GTF)

From wikipedia:
CVT specifies a mode which uses reduced blanking intervals, saving video signal bandwidth for modern LCD monitors which are not based on cathode ray tubes anymore. This mode is currently only defined for vertical frequency of 60 Hz.
Max Tretene, ACube Systems Srl - Soft3
SOFISTISOFTWARE

Post by SOFISTISOFTWARE »

i'm using RunInUAE in 320x256 on my sam460+Radeon4670 without problem with Up4, but you must have in Devs/Monitors the files PCIGraphics and Radeon together, if i miss Radeon when i launch ScreenModePrefs the resolution 320x256 doesn't appear, i've to tell you that i've in either PCIGraphics or Radeon this line: MODE=320x256@60D, i don't know why i've to put both files in monitors drawer to have this specific resolution and the only thing that Radeon has than PCIGraphics is the line BOARDTYPE=RADEON, this line there's in neither PCIGraphics nor SiliconMotion 502 (obviously). Is there anybody can explain that ? Thanks
Last edited by SOFISTISOFTWARE on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam 460EX, 2Gb Ram, Radeon R7 250E, OS4.1 FE
K-L

Post by K-L »

Here are my monitor TOOLTYPES on my AmigaOne/9000 Pro (and Sam440-M9):

CMPLENGTH=6
BOARDNAME=Radeon
VSYNCMIN=60
VSYNCMAX=75
HSYNCMIN=31000
HSYNCMAX=85000
MODE=640x480@60
MODE=800x600@60
MODE=1024x768@60
(MODE=1280x720@60)
(MODE=1280x800@60)
(MODE=1280x960@60)
(MODE=1280x1024@60)
(MODE=1440x810@60)
MODE=640x400@60
MODE=320x256@60D
MODE=640x512@60
MODE=1366x768@60-RB
MODE=720x568@60
MODE=320x240@60D
MODE=360x284@75D
FAKENATIVEMODES=Yes
INTERRUPT=Yes

RunInUAE works without any problem with theses (720x564 and 360x284 are the ones used by RunInUAE since it emulates an overlay screen for games/demos that used to use the whole screen).
--
AmigaONE X1000 / Radeon 2400 Pro (R610LE) / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Samm440ep/733Mhs (o/c) / Radeon M9 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition