Dragging a folder from RAM: to hard disk

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
samo79

Dragging a folder from RAM: to hard disk

Post by samo79 »

I note another strange problem in Update 3, if i drag an extracted archive (so a folder) from RAM: to any other partition of my hard disk the Workbench will stalled forever, keyboard will work (i can reset for example) but i can't click on any icons on my desktop, for example AmiDock will not respond anymore ...

I don't have always this kind of problem but sometimes happen and when happen the only way is a software reset, then after a reset i can do exactly the same procedure without any problem !

For a quick test just do it:

- Download Zelda from: http://www.zelda-solarus.com/download-zsdx_amigaos4
- In ASL choose RAM: as destination
- Once finished extract it to RAM of course
- Now drag the Zelda folder in any partition of your hard disk

Note: don't use copy/paste from contextmenu, just drag with the mouse the entire folder as is into another directory of your hard disk

There is also another issue, a bit different but in the same contest

This Zelda file contain a subdirectory with the "real" folder of the game, the first one contain another folder with the game inside of it
Now use the "Cut" option from contextmenu with this subdirectory (the one that contain the game) and paste it somewhere ...

Then now try to erase the main folder that now should be blank ...

Here I get the mouse pointer in waiting forever and that main folder will not be cancelled at all, Workbench will stall again ...
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Dragging a folder from RAM: to hard disk

Post by Slayer »

I followed your exact instructions and amidock and anything else for that matter functions as it should

Done on a SAM 733 AmigaOS4.1.3 and dragged the directory from Ram into a partiton formatted in JXF

I didn't do the cut segment of your trial because I don't know what you mean, perhaps supply a png of this exact selection/execution? cheers
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

@samo79
PM sent!
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Slayer wrote:I followed your exact instructions and amidock and anything else for that matter functions as it should

Done on a SAM 733 AmigaOS4.1.3 and dragged the directory from Ram into a partiton formatted in JXF

I didn't do the cut segment of your trial because I don't know what you mean, perhaps supply a png of this exact selection/execution? cheers
Ok this is the how-to with the help of images

1 - LhA downloaded and stored in RAM
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/408/1archive.png/

2 - That archive extracted in RAM and named as "zsdx"
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33 ... inram.png/

3 - Dragging with the mouse that "zsdx" folder from RAM: to Work directory of my hard disk
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/81 ... mramt.png/

4 - Now double click on "zsdz" folder to open the subdirectory that contain the game
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/81 ... ctory.png/

5 - Now just cut and paste the folder of the game (Zelda-Solarus-DX-OS4) to Work, just to have both directory in Work:
(now the "zsdx" will become an empty folder of course)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/64 ... ubdir.png/

When i did this last operation (point 5) my mouse pointer will be marked as "busy" and then nothing happen even if i wait for minutes, in short cut and paste does not work as it should ...

@ChrisH
Yep, see my reply on PM
Last edited by samo79 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Ummm I was referring to your second issue
There is also another issue, a bit different but in the same contest

This Zelda file contain a subdirectory with the "real" folder of the game, the first one contain another folder with the game inside of it
Now use the "Cut" option from contextmenu with this subdirectory (the one that contain the game) and paste it somewhere ...

Then now try to erase the main folder that now should be blank ...

Here I get the mouse pointer in waiting forever and that main folder will not be cancelled at all, Workbench will stall again ...
The drag and the drop went without incident but I'm sure your guide will be helpful for others? :)
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Yes my how-to try to explain both issues, the first is the drag (just easy to explain without any images)
but the second one try to explain the second problem .. the cut and paste of a folder from a directory to another ...

I like to precise that this problem does not happen always, but it happen sometimes so maybe needs some test during a real use of the system, not just a quick test in that specific contest ...
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

I will look at both soon but tonight is out since it is a my last day of work so I'll be on the town tonight and not sure if my head will be ready for anything scientific later on ;)
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Mate no problem at all, take your time ;)
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I've tried the same sequence on my A1-XE with no problem (the click 'n' drag).

The "Cut" using ContextMenus didn't work, but I may have a beta verson with bugs. The old file was not removed when I selected "Cut". Pasting it into another partition didn't seem to do anything, but that's probably because nothing was "Cut". If I do a "Copy", then "Paste" using CM, it works as expected.

No lockups, no busy pointers.
cheers
tony
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

The cut operation worked here for me when I tried it.

But it's worth noting that the 'cut file' is only removed after the paste operation. So cutting with out pasteing makes no difference to the directory structure.

Information about the cut & paste process appears to be stored in T: so ensure there is nothing unusual about your T: assign. (unlikely but you never know)