[BUG] WB "Tools" menu does not reduce in size

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
chris

[BUG] WB "Tools" menu does not reduce in size

Post by chris »

After adding a long entry to the WB Tools menu and removing it, the Tools menu does not shrink back to the original size.

Running this ARexx script should reproduce the fault:

Code: Select all

/* ARexx AppMenu test */

ADDRESS WORKBENCH
MENU ADD NAME menu1 TITLE "thisisquitealongappmenutitle" CMD "C:RequestChoice TITLE Test BODY Test GADGETS OK"
SAY "Press Return to remove the AppMenu item"
PARSE PULL
MENU REMOVE NAME menu1
Also, unless I'm doing something wrong, the command isn't running when the menu item is selected either.
thomasrapp

Re: [BUG] WB "Tools" menu does not reduce in size

Post by thomasrapp »

Also, unless I'm doing something wrong, the command isn't running when the menu item is selected either.
Your command is not enclosed in quotes. The quotes you entered surround the Rexx string but are not sent to Workbench.

Either so:

MENU ADD NAME menu1 TITLE "thisisquitealongappmenutitle" CMD """C:RequestChoice TITLE Test BODY Test GADGETS OK"""
or so:

MENU ADD NAME menu1 TITLE "thisisquitealongappmenutitle" CMD '"C:RequestChoice TITLE Test BODY Test GADGETS OK"'
or so:

"MENU ADD NAME MENU1 TITLE thisisquitealongappmenutitle CMD ""C:RequestChoice TITLE Test BODY Test GADGETS OK"""
or so:

'MENU ADD NAME MENU1 TITLE thisisquitealongappmenutitle CMD "C:RequestChoice TITLE Test BODY Test GADGETS OK"'
chris

Post by chris »

thomasrapp wrote:
Your command is not enclosed in quotes. The quotes you entered surround the Rexx string but are not sent to Workbench.
Ah, yes, of course, thanks! Anyway, the only reason I wrote that was to demonstrate the Tools menu bug... :-)
xenic

Post by xenic »

chris wrote:
thomasrapp wrote:
Ah, yes, of course, thanks! Anyway, the only reason I wrote that was to demonstrate the Tools menu bug... :-)
I can't reprocuce the problem. I add HyperClock to my Tools menu as part of my AddTools script that adds a lot of WorkBench menus from WBStartup. I just removed the HyperClock menu item and the menu adjusted back to the correct size. Also, TurboText always adds a Tools menu when I open it and removes it when I quit TurboText. The Tools menu always adjusts to the correct size for the remaining items (3). How many items are normally in your Tools menu?
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
chris

Post by chris »

xenic wrote: The Tools menu always adjusts to the correct size for the remaining items (3). How many items are normally in your Tools menu?
Normally only ResetWB. I've just tried my script with something else already present in the menu, and you're right - it adjusts back to the correct size. So it looks like it is only when the last item is removed that the size doesn't change.
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Rigo »

I can confirm this anomoly. Unfortunately, the workbench.library code is so convoluted, I just can't follow it enough to track what it's doing and where this fault may lie. I'll put it on the bugtracker, and just hope that someone with a decent amount of knowledge in this source can find and fix it.

Simon
chris

Post by chris »

Thanks!
samo79

Post by samo79 »

@Rigo

I will suggest you send every GUI problem in general to Tantignone :)