Roadshow quietly dying in update 3 w dialup?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
amigaonefan

Roadshow quietly dying in update 3 w dialup?

Post by amigaonefan »

I've installed update 3 of OS4.1 on a newly formatted partition on my micro A1 - going through the steps of installing update 2 then 3 as required. I have changed nothing in the settings or anywhere else except to add an internet connection for roadshow to use my dialup internet service.
I have seen that when I go online - it may be minutes or it may be over an hour - the internet connection icon suddenly vanishes and my connection goes away for no apparent reason. I cannot restart the connection in roadshow - the modem still thinks it is connected - I have to reboot the amigaOne and my modem and connect again.
I do not recall seeing this with update 1 - I didn;t use update 2 enough to know for sure if it happened then.
Again, this is a vanilla installation - nothing else running but what comes with Os4.1 update 3.
Is this being looked into? Does anyone else have this problem?
xenic

Re: Roadshow quietly dying in update 3 w dialup?

Post by xenic »

@amigaonefan
I just switched from dialup to cable highspeed a few months ago so I understand your problem. ISP's will drop your dialup connection when there is some period of inactivity and their system dialup demand is high. Dialup actually worked better in the OS4 prereleases; disconnections were detected and the modem, serial device and ppp device were shut down when Dialer (RoadShow) shut down. In fact, you could reboot and have Dialer use the same connection if the modem wasn't turned off. Apparently, subsequent updates to serial device and other components of the system don't work as well as the OS4 prerelease versions. If the source of your problem is ISP disconnection under heavy demand then you might be able to work around the problem by keeping the connection active with YAM checking for emails every 5 minutes or something similar. I must admit that paying the cable company over $40 to have an Internet connection to check email and write a couple of forum posts seems like a waste of money but dialup just became too difficult to use. In addition to my ISP dropping connection for inactivity, I had problems every time they updated their servers and only tested them for Windows. I just got tired of it all and switched to my current cable connection.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

I used to have a similiar problem running my 604e with roadshow

I created a script file (ascii with protection -s set) that I typed in a shell that released my old connection and established a new one when the internet connection was dropped, I can't remember what the command was either, it might be a case of just typing each internet one and seeing the template?, sorry it doesn't quite help but does inform you there is a work around of sorts (prevented the need to reset the computer to re-establish your internet connection).
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Slayer wrote:I used to have a similiar problem running my 604e with roadshow

I created a script file (ascii with protection -s set) that I typed in a shell that released my old connection and established a new one when the internet connection was dropped, I can't remember what the command was either, it might be a case of just typing each internet one and seeing the template?, sorry it doesn't quite help but does inform you there is a work around of sorts (prevented the need to reset the computer to re-establish your internet connection).
When I need to do that, I run "netshutdown" followed by "Execute S:Network-Startup". Gives the added advantage of having any error messages from the contents of Network-Startup visible.

Best regards,

Niels
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Handy if you can't connect and want to see where it fails!?

All this talk has got me curious about what I used to issue but I'm sure it was less dramatic :)

Don't you love troubleshooting anything? You end up with more information than you need but find it useful another time
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x