Please increase FAT32 read and write speed

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Mrodfr

Please increase FAT32 read and write speed

Post by Mrodfr »

Hello,

My main request is to increase FAT32 read and write speed.

- The read AND write copy speed with my Speedy FAT32 16go key is 2mo/s.

- The same key on a PC write around 8mo/s and read around 16mo/s.

For sure, the chery on the cake for me is to allow FAT32 on amiga use a more range of clusters size.

Maybe the speed increased should be made easily by maybe increasing buffer or cache copy for FAT32 read and write.

This same key could read and write around 30 mo/s with more bigger clusters (when formatted on a PC) but unfortunately not supported for AmigaOS untill now.

A perfect FAT32 support is for me verry important for exchanging datas with no-amiga users and to show them that sharing datas between differents OS computers cause no problems.
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Update4: Please increase FAT32 read and write speed

Post by kas1e »

@Mrodfr
You are right. Expectually fat32 writing are slow by some reassons. If we will refer to that benchmarks done by some italian user: here , where he compare usb2.0 of aos4/mos on peg2, we will see:

from RAM: to FAT32 (Sirion 2.6Mb/s, Poseidon 7.7Mb/s)
from FAT32 to RAM: (Sirion 9.7Mb/s, Poseidon 15.5Mb/s)
from RAM: to SFS (Sirion 5.1Mb/s, Poseidon 7.2Mb/s)
from SFS to RAM: (Sirion 10.1Mb/s, Poseidon 16.4Mb/s)

While ram/sfs to/from, are a bit slower, fat32/ram to/from are noticable slower (in 2-3 times). Expectually writing to FAT32 are slower in 3 times.

Not sure if it can be fixed for update4, but hope so too.
Deniil

Post by Deniil »

This sounds like it have something to do with buffer handling or memory management perhaps.

With my USB harddisk I got 6MB/s to JXFSs and 5.5MB/s to FAT so not much difference for me there. This is *copy* speed from a (much faster) HD, not pure write speed though.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

I wonder if this is just a case of FAT32 using minimal buffering (and flushing at every opportunity) to reduce the chances of writing not being finished when the user removes the memory stick? AmigaOS4 does not have a way to "eject" or "unmount" USB sticks (sadly), so this could be an indirect effect of that.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

kas1e wrote:from RAM: to FAT32 (Sirion 2.6Mb/s, Poseidon 7.7Mb/s)
from FAT32 to RAM: (Sirion 9.7Mb/s, Poseidon 15.5Mb/s)
from RAM: to SFS (Sirion 5.1Mb/s, Poseidon 7.2Mb/s)
from SFS to RAM: (Sirion 10.1Mb/s, Poseidon 16.4Mb/s)
Anything involving RAM: is slower and that is a known problem with the implementation of RAM. It has nothing to do with FAT32.
ExecSG Team Lead
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

ChrisH wrote:AmigaOS4 does not have a way to "eject" or "unmount" USB sticks (sadly), so this could be an indirect effect of that.
The dos.library was updated some time ago to fully support proper dismounting of devices. I believe the C:Dismount command was also added. It may be that the only CrossDOSFilesystem does not have support yet or similar.
ExecSG Team Lead
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Please increase FAT32 read and write speed

Post by kas1e »

@ssolie
Anything involving RAM: is slower and that is a known problem with the implementation of RAM. It has nothing to do with FAT32.
Looks like you a bit miss the point of such benchmarks : its not for show that ram speed are slower , its to show what speed have Sirion stack , and Posedeon stack. While they both handle usb2.0, on the Posedeon one, writing from Ram to Fat32 are on 300% faster . (on the same hw, i.e. peg2). What mean, that something wrong exactly with crossdos-filesystem. All the other tests also show that all works slower than on Posedeon, but the most necessary its Fat32 read/speed problem. Writing from ram to fat32 are very slow on Sirion (300% slower than via Posedeon, on the same HW). That point out that something wrong in crossdoss file system itself (or not implemented, or over-implemtented), but cleary slower than it should be.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

kas1e wrote:Looks like you a bit miss the point of such benchmarks : its not for show that ram speed are slower , its to show what speed have Sirion stack , and Posedeon stack.
I think you missed my point. I said anything involving RAM: (that is the ram-handler) is slower and that is a known issue. I did not want to imply anything involving RAM in general is slower.

As for the old Sirion versus Poseidon benchmark argument I don't want to get into that. I only wanted to point out that anything involving RAM: will be slower than it needs to be. Nothing else.
ExecSG Team Lead
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@ssolie
I think you missed my point. I said anything involving RAM: (that is the ram-handler) is slower and that is a known issue. I did not want to imply anything involving RAM in general is slower.
Mmm.. looks like i am a bit lost now :) I just not so understand why you go into details about RAM: speed, while by benchmarks, which you quote, i tryint to show that writing from ram to fat32 can be in 3 times faster , and there is something-somethere in our cross-dos. Of course its understanable that reading from ram and writing to somethere are slower than in opposite, but i mean there is something with writing to cross-dos exactly, and its not because of RAM , because wiring to SFS from RAM, are more or less fast.
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nexus »

@kas1e

I think, you still misunderstood ssolie.

You benchmark is reading from RAM: or writing to RAM:
Both involve RAM:
Since it is currently slower than needed to access RAM: your benchmark is obviously slower on OS4 as it could be.
If this is the reason for you 300% difference, I don't know or if in addition Sirion or CrossdosFilsystem causes
additional slowdowns, I don't know either. However, since your tests involves RAM: you cannot easily
claim that (if *I* understood ssolie correctly).

regards,
nexus