New kernels

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
User avatar
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 994
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:23 pm
Location: Vic. Australia.

Re: New kernels

Post by Hypex »

xeno74 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2026 9:23 am Have you tested the kernels with other Linux distributions like Void PPC and MintPPC32?
No, not yet. My system is playing up again and I'm getting SATA errors again. I tried to boot Mint but it dropped to a shell and I couldn't log in. My other ones did the same. Except Xenial kept looping around on the log in screen. That's usually a sign of full partition but it has space. However, it keeps mounting the root volumes as RO.

I'll need to check if I have some spare SATA cables or order some new ones. I already replaced SATA cables with clipped ones a while back. I did a smart test when the system was working and no problems showed up. I don't know why, but my original 1TB Samsung HDD is fine, and in fact is the best HDD I've ever had. I'm only seeing problems on the 500GB WD SATA I installed for Linux. Suppose there could be a power issue as well but I would have expected mechanical drives to play up.
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 11478
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am
Contact:

Re: New kernels

Post by xeno74 »

Hypex wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2026 6:00 am I'll need to check if I have some spare SATA cables or order some new ones. I already replaced SATA cables with clipped ones a while back.
That’s a shame. I hope you can sort out the problem. What about the AMD B650 SouthBridge? Would that be suitable for your X1000?
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 11478
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am
Contact:

Re: New kernels

Post by xeno74 »

Hi All,

The issues with KVM PR and KVM HV on PREEMPT kernels have been resolved.

Further information: KVM PR and KVM HV do not work if the kernel was compiled with PREEMPT
#19


Here is the RC4 of kernel 7.3 with PREEMPT activated for testing.

Download: github.com

Kernel 7.3-rc4 with PREEMPT activated with KVM HV on an X5000/40:

Image

Please test the PREEMPT kernels.

Thanks,
Christian
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 11478
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am
Contact:

Re: New kernels

Post by xeno74 »

Hi All,

I have released the RC5 of kernel 7.3 with PREEMPT support for X1000 and e5500 machines (X5000/20, X5000/40, Mirari, and QEMU VMs).

PREEMPT lets the Linux kernel stop one task and quickly give the CPU to another task. It makes Linux respond faster to important tasks instead of making them wait.

Download and further information: github.com

Image

Please test the kernels.

Thanks,
Christian
Post Reply