Why is Mode xxx is not supported at the given frequency now?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Why is Mode xxx is not supported at the given frequency

Post by Hypex »

broadblues wrote:I've no idea why the resolution don;t work with the tooltype approach, but have you tried creating them with picasso96mode?
No I haven't. I'm afraid of that program! It isn't normal, I can never work out what you are supposed to do with it. And it's way to technical.

Which is why I set up the tool types. Still slightly fiddly to to it by hand but it worked. And I wasn't gojng crazy trying to work out what button does what. It's always eluded me. And besides, we shouldn't need to use such technical software anymore. This was replaced by the tooltype approach which IMHO should still work. But...
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

tonyw wrote:Since Update 3 was installed, screen resolutions 320x288@60 and 320x256@60 don't work? Everything else is still OK?
You're assessment is correct. On both counts.
tonyw wrote:I just want to describe the fault accurately.
Thankyou.
You didn't tell me what the scan rate limits are, but what happens if you widen the limits considerably (eg instead of 56-75 Hz, make it 30-100).
Oh sorry I missed that:
VSYNCMIN=60
VSYNCMAX=60
HSYNCMIN=31000
HSYNCMAX=85000

I'll try and change my values. But I'd rather prefer to have a mathematical formula to work it out (that the driver is using) than to use pure guess work.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

Small screenmodes added by Picasso96 are available, unlike those added using monitor tooltypes. However they muck-up my screenmode IDs, which is REALLY annoying (e.g. renders all my Sys:Prefs/Screens settings useless).
IamSONIC

Post by IamSONIC »

ChrisH wrote:QUESTION: Which system file can I try replace with an Update 2 version, to see if it helps? ATIRadeon.chip did not help. Any idea what reads the monitor tooltypes?
The devil is called rtg.library :!:

You can replace the rtg.library from the SYS:Kickstart folder with the one from the Update 1 Installation CD. Then the 320x.... Screenmodes come back into the list of available screenmodes. On my machine i had to set HSYNCMIN to 28000 that it accepted 320x240. New to me was that i had to add +RB for the 320x240 Resolution. With 320x256 it's not necessary to add +RB. I cannot remember adding +RB when i used my old Installtion with Update 2.

Anyway replacing the rtg.library with the one from the Update 1 CD seems to 'downgrade' the 2D graphics performance.

@ Hyperion:
Please release a Quickfix for that problem as soon as possible, otherwise you're cutting all Sam440 owners the line of smooth emulator gaming. Fixing such a small but annoying problem should require only a small effort.
K-L

Post by K-L »

Indeed, I too encoutered this problem with Update 3 when I tried to use RunInUAE.

I first thought that Update 3 had erased my screenmodes but this was not the case so I tried many things (frequency, +R-B, -RB, etc...) and I never managed to make these screenmodes work again (320x256, 30x240). Actually, it works as is the DDC mode was activated (since when using DDC modes, these screenmode don't appear in the list). Previously, setting them manually worked, it's no more the case.

I hope a correction will see the day of light (I won't revert to the old rtg.library, I don't like mixing my system with old and new version of libraries) beacuse on Sam440, it's a must to be able to play games with these screenmodes.
--
AmigaONE X1000 / Radeon 2400 Pro (R610LE) / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Samm440ep/733Mhs (o/c) / Radeon M9 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

I've managed to get my modes back in order by a slight work around. I ended up using Picasso96Mode Prefs and adding my low res modes modes back in. But I couldn't figure out the timing values perfectly so some modes don't fit the screen as they should but at least it works. After saving and commenting out the modes that stopped working in my tooltypes I rebooted and all was okay. I have my MUI Internet screen back again! :-)

Strange as it seems by comparison my Workbench screen was in the correct mode all along. :-)
Goos
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Goos »

my 320x256 screenmode works with this ToolTypes:
VSYNCMIN=60
VSYNCMAX=85
HSYNCMIN=28000
HSYNCMAX=85000
MODE=320x256@67D

the D for DoubleScan
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

IamSONIC wrote:Anyway replacing the rtg.library with the one from the Update 1 CD seems to 'downgrade' the 2D graphics performance.
Correct, rolling back the rtg.library does downgrade the 2D graphics performance. That's because you're discarding all of the performance enhancements provided in update 3.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
Thematic

Post by Thematic »

Goos wrote: ....

the D for DoubleScan
D indeed. My 400x300 and 320x240 modes came back, thanks!

edit: RTM issue, SYS:Documentation/Picasso96/ScreenModes.doc
* AmigaOneXE 750FX 512+0 MB RAM, Radeon 9200, sii3112ide, DVDRW ~ AmigaOS 4.1 Final
mrupp

Bug still present in Update 4?

Post by mrupp »

Hi

I just installed Update 4 in my SamFlex and noticed that this bug seems still to be present. Can anybody confirm this?

Greetings
Michael
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out TAWS - The Amiga Workbench Simulation
https://taws.ch