Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
xeno74

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by xeno74 »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the information because of “su -“. Good to know that the use of plain 'su' is deprecated. We should always use “su -“ now.

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:12 am I have added the packages you requested and their dependencies.
Thank you!

xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

I successfully tested "su -" on Fienix today and the "/sbin" directory is in the PATH variable.

@Casey
Could you please add the package bind9-dnsutils because of the missing "nslookup" command? The package bind9-dnsutils also provides the command "dig". You need also the packages "bind9-libs" and "libjson-c5" as dependencies.

Could you also please add all these net packages (net-tools, iproute2, ifupdown, bind9-dnsutils etc) to the next Fienix img?

Thanks

caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Amiguy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:04 am Hi Casey,

Debian regulars will say that "su -" is best, others will prefer "sudo". The question that should be asked for the adoption of the right system is to check which one offers the most security while remaining simple to use.

For my part, I would prefer "su -" which is a legacy of Unix system V and still seems to me as robust as ever. But I remain open to evolution.

Regards
Thanks for your feedback, I concur.
-Casey
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

xeno74 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:37 am I successfully tested "su -" on Fienix today and the "/sbin" directory is in the PATH variable.

@Casey
Could you please add the package bind9-dnsutils because of the missing "nslookup" command? The package bind9-dnsutils also provides the command "dig". You need also the packages "bind9-libs" and "libjson-c5" as dependencies.

Could you also please add all these net packages (net-tools, iproute2, ifupdown, bind9-dnsutils etc) to the next Fienix img?

Thanks
@Christian

Thank you for confirming "su -" works for you.

I've added the packages you requested. Do you feel these packages are useful for the average user to configure their networking? If so I will add them to the default packages for the next release. Otherwise, what is the benefit to the average user?

-Casey
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:58 pm I did so immediately and the results were letter for letter the same as previously. Then I tried an apt-get update and repeated the apt-get install gnucash. At first glance it seemed like the same result, but no, curiously different:

Code: Select all

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libgnutls30 : Depends: libhogweed6 (>= 3.4.1~rc1) but it is not installable
               Depends: libnettle8 (>= 3.4.1~rc1) but it is not installable
 libparams-validationcompiler-perl : Depends: libeval-closure-perl but it is not installable
                                     Depends: libexception-class-perl but it is not installable
                                     Recommends: libclass-xsaccessor-perl but it is not going to be installed
 libspecio-perl : Depends: libdevel-stacktrace-perl but it is not installable
                  Depends: libeval-closure-perl but it is not installable
                  Depends: libmro-compat-perl but it is not installable
                  Depends: libxstring-perl but it is not installable
                  Recommends: libref-util-perl but it is not installable
On a side note, when I tried to Preview the above, the Interweb had quit working. I Restarted but after 11 minutes of Stop jobs I clicked the machine and rebooted. No internet. Restarted again, ditto. So I reluctantly came to Ubuntu. I often get up to five Stop jobs when closing fienix, but the most common one is something like For User Manager ID 1000, which usually ends in less than two minutes.
Thank you for providing the information I requested. Please try "apt-get install gnucash" in Terminal again. Hopefully it will install this time, but if you receive an error please post it again.

Thanks,
-Casey
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:08 am Do you feel these packages are useful for the average user to configure their networking?
Not directly but these packages are good if the user has some issues with the network. With these tools we can help better.

Thank you for adding the packages!

kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:12 am Thank you for providing the information I requested. Please try "apt-get install gnucash" in Terminal again. Hopefully it will install this time, but if you receive an error please post it again.
Thanks for continuing to try to help me with this. Here is today's error message. I haven't compared it with previous ones yet.

root@Fienix:~# apt-get install gnucash
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

libgnutls30 : Depends: libhogweed6 (>= 3.4.1~rc1) but it is not installable
               Depends: libnettle8 (>= 3.4.1~rc1) but it is not installable
 libparams-validationcompiler-perl : Depends: libeval-closure-perl but it is not installable
                                     Depends: libexception-class-perl but it is not installable
                                     Recommends: libclass-xsaccessor-perl but it is not going to be installed
 libspecio-perl : Depends: libdevel-stacktrace-perl but it is not installable
                  Depends: libeval-closure-perl but it is not installable
                  Depends: libmro-compat-perl but it is not installable
                  Depends: libxstring-perl but it is not installable
                  Recommends: libref-util-perl but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I tried apt-get install gnucash again today with the same results. Then I wondered what might happen if I updated Synaptic and tried again. The results are rather different this time!

libexception-class-perl : Depends: libclass-data-inheritable-perl but it is not installable
 libmro-compat-perl : Depends: libclass-c3-perl (>= 0.24) but it is not installable
                      Recommends: libclass-c3-xs-perl but it is not installable
No more libgnutls30 problem, nor libparams-validationcompiler-perl. Apparently libspecio-perl is no longer problematic either. But the two problems above are new!
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:00 pm I tried apt-get install gnucash again today with the same results. Then I wondered what might happen if I updated Synaptic and tried again. The results are rather different this time!

libexception-class-perl : Depends: libclass-data-inheritable-perl but it is not installable
 libmro-compat-perl : Depends: libclass-c3-perl (>= 0.24) but it is not installable
                      Recommends: libclass-c3-xs-perl but it is not installable
No more libgnutls30 problem, nor libparams-validationcompiler-perl. Apparently libspecio-perl is no longer problematic either. But the two problems above are new!
Hi - could you please try to "apt-get update" and "apt-get install gnucash" again? Let me know. Thanks for your patience.
-Casey