Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
klesterjr

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by klesterjr »

Final Edit:

For anyone else using an unsupported graphics card (I have a 7750), I thought I would post how I was able to get Fienix working correctly.

1) Copy /usr/lib/fienix-gpu-bandage/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf (just to boot -- I did it from another distro I had installed)
2) Log in as root
3) In /usr/share/glib-2.0/org.mate.background.gschema.xml change the value of "background fade" from true to false
4) Run glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/
5) Log in as fienix
6) In the menu System/Preference/Personal/Startup Applications, turn off Redshift (I also turn off Blueman since my machine doesn't have a bluetooth card)

These changes are all related to the graphic card and not problems with Fienix, per se.

Hope this helps anyone else with an unsupported graphics card!

-Ken
AmigaOne X5000 -- 5020/8gb, Radeon RX560 & X1950Pro, OS4, MOS, & Linux
AmigaOne A1222 -- 2gb, Radeon 6450, OS4 & Linux
Amiga 3000 -- 2mb chip/16mb fast, BFG9060 (rev6 68060 & 128mb), Picasso 4, Re-A4091, X-Surf 100
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

klesterjr wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:10 am Final Edit:

For anyone else using an unsupported graphics card (I have a 7750), I thought I would post how I was able to get Fienix working correctly.

1) Copy /usr/lib/fienix-gpu-bandage/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf (just to boot -- I did it from another distro I had installed)
2) Log in as root
3) In /usr/share/glib-2.0/org.mate.background.gschema.xml change the value of "background fade" from true to false
4) Run glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/
5) Log in as fienix
6) In the menu System/Preference/Personal/Startup Applications, turn off Redshift (I also turn off Blueman since my machine doesn't have a bluetooth card)

These changes are all related to the graphic card and not problems with Fienix, per se.

Hope this helps anyone else with an unsupported graphics card!

-Ken
Thanks for posting.

Before you copied the xorg.conf, was your system unresponsive when trying to boot into Fienix? Did Ctrl + Alt + F1 do anything?
Did the background fade cause any specific issues for you?
What issue does glib-compile-schemas resolve?

Unfortunately I don't have an "unsupported" card to test this stuff out myself, so any information you can provide is much appreciated.

Thanks!
-Casey
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Please test if you're able:
* fienix-folder-color - A customized fork of the Ubuntu version; adds a Caja menu that allows you to change individual folder colors and/or add an emblem to folders.
* fienix-tranquilo - A project I've been working on,fie an audio tool that lets you mix your own ambient soundscape to play in the background while you work or relax.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Casey
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:18 am Please test if you're able:
* fienix-folder-color - A customized fork of the Ubuntu version; adds a Caja menu that allows you to change individual folder colors and/or add an emblem to folders.
* fienix-tranquilo - A project I've been working on,fie an audio tool that lets you mix your own ambient soundscape to play in the background while you work or relax.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Casey
Hi Casey,

Both work without any problems on my AmigaOnes. :-) Thanks a lot! :-)

Screenshots:

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
klesterjr

Post by klesterjr »

caseycullen wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:09 am Thanks for posting.

Before you copied the xorg.conf, was your system unresponsive when trying to boot into Fienix? Did Ctrl + Alt + F1 do anything?
Did the background fade cause any specific issues for you?
What issue does glib-compile-schemas resolve?

Unfortunately I don't have an "unsupported" card to test this stuff out myself, so any information you can provide is much appreciated.

Thanks!
-Casey
Hi Casey,

Without the xorg.conf, I got a black screen -- sometimes with a blinking cursor, sometimes without -- Ctl-Alt-F1 did nothing (no shell).

The background fade basically freezes the system until it completes -- the mouse moves, but you can't interact with anything. The fades happen a lot more than you think! :)

The glib compile is just to make the schema change active.

I also purged Compton as well, which seems to have improved responsiveness (that's subjective, of course). Basically, anything that tries to perform visual tricks seems to slow things down.

There's an issue with Caja needing sudo to run SOMETIMES, which I haven't worked out yet. Maybe it's a weird side effect of me removing the compositor and effects, since I haven't seen anyone else complain about it. Re-installing Caja from the debian.ports repository fixes it, but I don't want to mix apps from different sources -- seems like a good way to screw things up! :)

Hope that's helpful.

-Ken
AmigaOne X5000 -- 5020/8gb, Radeon RX560 & X1950Pro, OS4, MOS, & Linux
AmigaOne A1222 -- 2gb, Radeon 6450, OS4 & Linux
Amiga 3000 -- 2mb chip/16mb fast, BFG9060 (rev6 68060 & 128mb), Picasso 4, Re-A4091, X-Surf 100
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Hi everyone; I'm looking for feedback. I've been thinking about updating the default desktop theme for Fienix. I'm thinking about something like this:

If you want to try out the new theme and tell me what you think, I packaged a "draft candidate" .deb that you can download here. After you install it, go to Control Center, Appearance, and select "Fienix Default".

Both this proposed theme and the current theme, called Materia, are "Material Design" compliant themes (Material Design is a design language - mostly flat, simple shapes, responsive interface, etc.), so they're somewhat similar, but feel free to let me know if you like Materia better, or if you have any other feedback!

Thanks,
-Casey
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Hi Casey,

I realy like the new theme! Installed and thanks again for all your hard work.
I did get a Roboto-Font error when installing but fixed that.

Regarding Fienix..
I think most X5000 users bought their machine as being an Amiga running AmigaOS4.X
A second OS like Linux is fantastic, but changing AmigaOS compatible hardware like the Videocard is not something that many users will do.
I would suggest that by default Fienix will be using the FBdev. Two distro`s could also be an option. 3D Hardware support and FBdev based.

Overall great work with Fienix. Many thanks and keep up the good work.

Big picture http://www.skateman.nl/wp-content/uploa ... -18-13.png
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
Roland

Post by Roland »

Where in Fienix (and Ubuntu) is localted the counterpart of this directory (from Red Hat):

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ ?

I got a tip to modify the files there (ifcfg-***) to solve the 'variable mac' ptroblem with TG-3468 (https://access.redhat.com/solutions/70215).
- Roland -
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Roland wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:51 am Where in Fienix (and Ubuntu) is localted the counterpart of this directory (from Red Hat):

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ ?

I got a tip to modify the files there (ifcfg-***) to solve the 'variable mac' ptroblem with TG-3468 (https://access.redhat.com/solutions/70215).
/etc/network

xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:50 am Hi everyone; I'm looking for feedback.
Hi Casey,

I like the new theme. :-)

Well done!

Cheers,
Christian