ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 Live DVD

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 Live DVD

Post by Hypex »

xeno74 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:22 am Please do it. I am very often alone here and need really more help with the X1000 Linux support.
Well my initial testing didn't work out to well. I attempted to run a batch file. But CFE just kept giving me errors. About "-z" being an invalid switch. It was hard to tell if it was my script or if it was CFE FAT corruption. I wonder if using a raw partition would be better. I gave up on that and then wasted half an hour booting the kernel from USB. Mostly because I forgot to set bootargs or something. And CFE actually loads slowly off USB. I wonder if it's related to UBoot and uses a slow 1.x mode. But I noticed that it's rather slower when unpacking on the fly.

Also I found the kernel couldn't unpack the ramdisk which is unusual. I'm used to the kernel being able to ungz, unlz or even unxz a ramdisk in the best case. PPC Linux used to use LZ for the ramdisk a lot. XZ has the best compression I've seen but is the slowest to compress. Given CFE is slowed down by a GZ it would be beneficial to have kernel support for this where it can unpack a ramdisk faster. It was taking so long I thought CFE had silently crashed.

Anyway this is my batch file. See anything wrong with it? It doesn't work for me! :-?

Code: Select all

setenv bootargs "root=/dev/ram boot=casper single"
ramdisk -z -addr=0x24000000 -fatfs usbdisk0:initrd.gz
boot -z -elf -noints -fatfs usbdisk0:zimage-5.6
xeno74

Re: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 Live DVD

Post by xeno74 »

Hypex wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:13 am I haven't seen the whole thread. But I'm wondering if it can be booted off USB rather than a real CD/R/W? Has this been done yet?
Yes, for the X5000. :-) Link to the thread: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS Live USB
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.