Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:00 pm
kilaueabart wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:02 am I've been using Fienix almost exclusively everyday but didn't get around to the above until this afternoon. I interpreted that as "apt-get update," "apt-get upgrade," ...
Hi kilaueabart,
"apt-get update" only updates the package listings, it doesn't actually update any packages. Please use "apt-get upgrade" or go into Synaptic and press the "Reload" button, then the "Mark All Upgrades" button, then press "Apply".
I checked on the status of the weather applet issue and the MATE DE team is still waiting on a server-side fix.
-Casey
As you can see in the partial quote above, I did use "apt-get upgrade." I remember it taking about half an hour to download, unpack, and install, so I assumed I had everything and I was very surprised just now to discover that Synaptic had a lot of stuff for me, which downloaded and installed very fast!
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:19 am As you can see in the partial quote above, I did use "apt-get upgrade." I remember it taking about half an hour to download, unpack, and install, so I assumed I had everything and I was very surprised just now to discover that Synaptic had a lot of stuff for me, which downloaded and installed very fast!
Got it; I had misread your post, sounds like your system is up-to-date then. Synaptic has lots of optional software that you can try out and it's often an easier way to update your packages than the command line.
- Casey
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I often get requesters/text windows in which I can't see what I am typing, like black type on a black background or white type on a light background. I can see it if I select it with the mouse, but still a problem. I tried fixing it, messing around in Control Center, but ended up making gmail sender section invisible.

I often lose internet early on, but reset button usually gets it back for the rest of the day. More likely a hardward problem than software?

I used to get interesting log files, but apparently I get nothing new now. Date are mostly February amd May, and the latest was 06-21.

But Fienix is adequate enough that I very rarely have to go to Ubuntu any more.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 pm I often get requesters/text windows in which I can't see what I am typing, like black type on a black background or white type on a light background. I can see it if I select it with the mouse, but still a problem. I tried fixing it, messing around in Control Center, but ended up making gmail sender section invisible.

I often lose internet early on, but reset button usually gets it back for the rest of the day. More likely a hardward problem than software?

I used to get interesting log files, but apparently I get nothing new now. Date are mostly February amd May, and the latest was 06-21.

But Fienix is adequate enough that I very rarely have to go to Ubuntu any more.
Are you having the "invisible" text issue in your browser or another application? If your browser, did you download from the Fienix repositories or did you download it from a website?

Are you using your on-board networking or a separate networking card?

I wouldn't consider the absence of log files a concern.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:50 am
kilaueabart wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 pm I often get requesters/text windows in which I can't see what I am typing, like black type on a black background or white type on a light background.
Are you having the "invisible" text issue in your browser or another application? If your browser, did you download from the Fienix repositories or did you download it from a website?
According to Synaptic I have 2020.02.20.3fienix version of Interweb. I'm pretty sure I didn't download it at all. I think it came in the fienix .img. While I was at Synaptic I noticed a fienix version of Spiderweb was available so I downloaded it to see how it works, but so far I haven't been able to find out for sure whether it will have the same problem.
Are you using your on-board networking or a separate networking card?
I'm getting so dumb I don't even understand that question. How would I find out?
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote: According to Synaptic I have 2020.02.20.3fienix version of Interweb. I'm pretty sure I didn't download it at all. I think it came in the fienix .img. While I was at Synaptic I noticed a fienix version of Spiderweb was available so I downloaded it to see how it works, but so far I haven't been able to find out for sure whether it will have the same problem.
I'm not sure then. Next time you run across this issue please let me know the website address.
kilaueabart wrote: I'm getting so dumb I don't even understand that question. How would I find out?
Is your Ethernet cord plugged into a port up by your USB ports, or down further where the PCI slots are?
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Interweb version 20200607 is (finally) available in the Fienix software repositories.
Changes from the "stock" InterWeb release are documented in /usr/share/doc/interweb/FIENIX-CHANGES.
- Casey
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:10 am Is your Ethernet cord plugged into a port up by your USB ports, or down further where the PCI slots are?
Down by the PCI slots. I don't have a spare USB port. If I want to plug something in, I have to take out the Wi-fi dongle up top.

So is that the on-board networking?

Just started using Interweb version 20200607.
Next time you run across this issue please let me know the website address.
Will do.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:49 pm
caseycullen wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:10 am Is your Ethernet cord plugged into a port up by your USB ports, or down further where the PCI slots are?
Down by the PCI slots. I don't have a spare USB port. If I want to plug something in, I have to take out the Wi-fi dongle up top.

So is that the on-board networking?

Just started using Interweb version 20200607.
Not a USB port, there are Ethernet ports up there as well.
Try using the port I have circled in the picture, see if you have better luck with it.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:38 pm
Try using the port I have circled in the picture, see if you have better luck with it.
Fienix at least does not recognize it as an internet connection. Maybe I have to provide some info? The lights by the port came on when I plugged it in but apparently not the good sign I thought it was.