System locks up shortly after booting

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Ned

System locks up shortly after booting

Post by Ned »

For the past year or so I have had a problem with my uA1c in which shortly after a reboot the system locks up. I usually notice this by the fact that the pointer freezes. When this happens a three finger reboot does not work. The good news is that if the system is up and running for say five minutes or so, the system seems to be rock solid and won't crash unless I'm doing something really off the wall. I have just been living with it and thought that it might be some obscure thing that I have installed.

I have recently done a clean install of OS4.1 update 1, update 2, and update 3. In trying to get my system back to where it was I am again seeing this lock up. I have been trying to track this down. Most recently I had a clean install of update 3 and things seemed to be OK. I then modified internet prefs and loaded OWB V3.30 onto the tool bar and I thought that things were OK. But after a cold reboot, once again the pointer freezes. By the way the pointer will occasionally freeze in the upper left corner of the screen (where it starts off from) and at other times after I have moved it to begin doing things.

Has anyone else seen this and/or offer me some ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks.
Spectre660

Re: System locks up shortly after booting

Post by Spectre660 »

Do you have any dockies running in Amidock ? I have a Sam Flex model and many lockups have been the result of dockies. The next culprit has been the screen blanker .
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Mrodfr

Post by Mrodfr »

Hello,

The PSU ?

I have this problem on my A1200 caused by a bad internal power connection (the 4 cable red-black-black-yellow) and a friend because an old PSU on his PC.

Sorry if not related to AOS4 but sometime the problem came from a place not noticed first.
Ned

Post by Ned »

The only docky that I had added was the one for OWB which I dragged onto the toolbar. Yes, the default screen blanker is also running in its default mode. I'll give both of those items some attention and see what happens. Although, I would have thought that if the default screen blanker was involved that this would have been reported and solved a long time ago.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Ned wrote:The only docky that I had added was the one for OWB which I dragged onto the toolbar.
There's a docky for OWB? Or are you just talking about the regular icon for OWB (or OWBLauncher)?

A docky is an active application which can run inside the dock. There are some dockies delivered with the OS, they reside in Utilities/Dockies from where they can be dragged into the dock, but there are also third-party dockies out there.

But just dragging a regular program icon into the dock does not make it a docky, in case that was what you meant.

Best regards,

Niels
Ned

Post by Ned »

OK. I have some new information. After a clean install of updates 1, 2, and 3, and having made no changes to anything, the system boots up on my uA1c and is very stable. It will sit there and run until the screen blanker kicks in. It reboots just fine and does not lock up.

Earlier today I went into prefs and modified the internet stuff to get me back online (I never even launched any applications that would have connected to the internet). Having made the modifications, my system is now unstable. The first time I powered it off and on, kickstart loaded and then then black screen with AmigaOS 4.1 and the boing ball comes up and the system froze. When I powered it off and on three other times it comes all the way back to life with workbench loading but then immediately or shortly thereafter it freezes. Does anyone have any ideas as to why just setting the internet prefs would cause this kind of problem.
fitzsteve

Post by fitzsteve »

I have the same issue with my uA1, after setting up the internet the system locks up shortly after booting.

If I unplug the Network cable it will boot ok and be usable, I can then delete the internet settings and the system works fine again.

Also since update 3 I cannot even get onlne, I'll be starting a new thread on that though. But if you unplug your Network cable you should be able to boot.

I guess there is a bug in the network driver for the uA1's onboard Ethernet adapter?

Steve.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

fitzsteve wrote:I guess there is a bug in the network driver for the uA1's onboard Ethernet adapter?
My guess would be the DHCP bugs which are present in that older copy of Roadshow you guys have. Expect a fix in the next update.
ExecSG Team Lead
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

Ned wrote:The first time I powered it off and on, kickstart loaded and then then black screen with AmigaOS 4.1 and the boing ball comes up and the system froze.
Did you try waiting several minutes? If DHCP is failing, then it will take some minutes for it to time-out. Adding Run <>Nil: to the start of the AddNetInterface line in the S:StartUp-Sequence works-around this 'freeze' (but not DHCP failing itself).
Ned

Post by Ned »

I have a similar thread on AmigaWorld.net which I started before creating an account on this forum which is:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/vie ... 4&forum=14

The following is a reply which I just posted:

Thanks very much for this info. This has helped a lot as it seems that my problem is also related to my ethernet connection. The thought of trying to unplug and then quickly plug back in the ethernet cable as soon as the ethernet jack light comes on was not terribly appealing. However, what I did try and this seems to work very well (I have not had any hang ups since using this technique) is to unplug the ethernet cable before booting and let the system come all the way up. Then plug the ethernet cable back in, open prefs/internet. select inerface/modify, and then without making any changes select use, save, and restart TCP/IP stack now.

This leads me to wonder if I might be able to automate the process somehow by delaying the system's attempt to get internet up and running so early in the startup sequence. That is, maybe disable all the existing internet startup stuff and perhaps put it at the end of user-startup or something. Any thoughts?