Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
caseycullen

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:11 pm I found an interesting new way to screw Fienix up.
I was reading email but at some point I lost the internet connection. I closed the browser and tried to relaunch it but couldn't. So I tried to restart fienix, but clicking on the power button (or anything else) had no effect.
I did the ctrl^alt^F systemctl restart lightdm thing and got back into fienix. As it came up, I got two error messages: "The panel encountered a problem while loading MateWeatherAppletFactory::MateWeatherApplet" and "The panel encountered a problem while loading NetspeedAppletFactory::NetspeedApplet," both with an offer to delete the applet, which I declined.
Then back to email where I managed to read my digital newspaper from beginning to end, but when I tried to go to the next email item, dead again.
At some point I noticed the weather thing in the upper panel was reporting 0°. I thought resetting the panel might be part of the answer. I was warned that I would lose my custom settings but misinterpreted that to mean I would have to fill in things like time zone all over again, not that top and bottom panels would completely disappear.
When I rebooted I was able to get InterWeb Browser going by clicking something in fienix's home that brought up a non-functioning "Windows Browser" which I opened with "Another tool" namely Interweb Browser. But I was still having "Connecting ..."-forever internet problems.
I managed to get a terminal somehow and hoped maybe I could do something with apt-get update--would it notice I needed a panel? But lack of internet ruled that out too.
So I'm back in Ubuntu which rarely loses the internet, and wondering if maybe the only way to fix fienix is to clean the partition and copy the image back in. Any other ideas?
I'm don't know what may have caused this issue. If you don't have a panel/menu, you can press "Alt + F2" to bring up the Run dialog, then type fienix-desktop-reset and click the checkbox that says "run in terminal", and click the "Run" button. This will reset panels and applets back to defaults.
-Casey
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

@everyone: I pushed several updates to Fienix Soar. Updating from a Soar image should go smoothly and I think I tested everything adequately but let me know if you run into any issues.
I also made some minor additions like additional printer support/drivers, additional samba support, ibus input methods, glade user interface designers for development, and a bunch of LV2 plugins for LMMS and Audacity.

@kilaueabart: Please install ibus, ibus-gtk3, and whatever modules you want such as ibus-anthy (Japanese) and ibus-hangul (Korean). Hopefully this is what you're looking for, let me know.

@kilaueabart: Please install samba, smbclient and hplip. Hopefully this allows you to use your printer. You can also install system-config-printer if you want to add Print Settings to your Control Center.

@Roland: In Synaptic, please click on vlc, then Package menu, and Force Version. Choose the 3.0.10 version. After vlc 3.0.10 has installed, install vlc-fienix. If Synaptic does not allow you to Force Version to 3.0.10 you may need to remove and reinstall the vlc package.

@Roland: If your /home subdirectories are still not populating when you create a new user, try entering the following command after you add the user:

Code: Select all

su - username -c /usr/bin/xdg-user-dirs-update
Thanks!
-Casey
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:48 am @Roland: In Synaptic, please click on vlc, then Package menu, and Force Version. Choose the 3.0.10 version. After vlc 3.0.10 has installed, install vlc-fienix. If Synaptic does not allow you to Force Version to 3.0.10 you may need to remove and reinstall the vlc package.
Doing it via removal and reinstall worked ok. Thanks for the tip!
@Roland: If your /home subdirectories are still not populating when you create a new user, try entering the following command after you add the user:

su - username -c /usr/bin/xdg-user-dirs-update
Unfortunately that did not work... Tested it by creating an account in terminal and also via Control Center, no difference.
Here is the listing from terminal:

root@Fienix:/home/fienix# /usr/sbin/useradd -m tux1
root@Fienix:/home/fienix# cd /home/tux1
root@Fienix:/home/tux1# dir
root@Fienix:/home/tux1# su - tux1 -c /usr/bin/xdg-user-dirs-update
/home/tux1/Desktop was removed, reassigning DESKTOP to homedir
/home/tux1/Downloads was removed, reassigning DOWNLOAD to homedir
/home/tux1/Templates was removed, reassigning TEMPLATES to homedir
/home/tux1/Public was removed, reassigning PUBLICSHARE to homedir
/home/tux1/Documents was removed, reassigning DOCUMENTS to homedir
/home/tux1/Music was removed, reassigning MUSIC to homedir
/home/tux1/Pictures was removed, reassigning PICTURES to homedir
/home/tux1/Videos was removed, reassigning VIDEOS to homedir
root@Fienix:/home/tux1# dir
root@Fienix:/home/tux1# 
In my eyes, 'xdg-users-dirs-update' would seem to do exactly the opposite what is wanted...

An update to this issue... I was able to fix it 'manually'!-) I simply copied from the 'home/fienix' the standard subdirs, and from the 'home/fienix/.config' the file 'user-dirs.dirs' to a ntfs partition (to clear the owner labels). Then I just recopied them to the home dir of the new user account. Nothing more was needed!

But the question is, why Soar cannot do this automatically when you create a new user account...? (the older Fienix installation did not have this issue) I tested once more with an unchanged Soar partition and the problem was indeed present there.
Last edited by Roland on Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Roland -
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:15 am I'm don't know what may have caused this issue. If you don't have a panel/menu, you can press "Alt + F2" to bring up the Run dialog, then type fienix-desktop-reset and click the checkbox that says "run in terminal", and click the "Run" button. This will reset panels and applets back to defaults.
-Casey
Thanks, Casey. I was able to open Windows Browser with the "other tool" InterWeb again, and this time, on line and directly to this advice which worked immediately. Except the weather thing had me back in Madison, at zero degrees (?), and when I set it to Oakland it quit working.
Next I'll try the things in your next post.
I wish I could still learn things like this, but I seem to be fading rapidly.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:48 am @kilaueabart: Please install ibus, ibus-gtk3, and whatever modules you want such as ibus-anthy (Japanese) and ibus-hangul (Korean). Hopefully this is what you're looking for, let me know.
Quite different from Ubuntu, was tricky to set up, and I'll need to learn how to handle it, but it works:

Is this English?
これは日本語か
이것은한국말이냐

Thank you!
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:48 am @everyone: I pushed several updates to Fienix Soar. Updating from a Soar image should go smoothly and I think I tested everything adequately but let me know if you run into any issues.
Thank you! :-) I upgraded Fienix on my X5000/40 today and it works! I was able to install vlc-fienix after the upgrade.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Issue with Weather Applet:
The weather applet showing 0 degrees is a known issue that is affecting all distributions because NOAA is performing work on their servers. The service is expected to be back up this week and your weather applet will update automatically.
See https://github.com/mate-desktop/libmateweather/pull/79 for more information.
-Casey
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hi All,

I successfully upgraded Fienix on my AmigaOne X1000 today. It works fantastic!

Please install the package "vlc-fienix" if you want to use VLC on your X1000. The default version of VLC doesn't work reliable on the AmigaOne X1000. Sometimes the X1000 freezes if you use the default version.

The default version of VLC doesn't start on the X5000. Please install the package "vlc-fienix" on your X5000.

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Tijatjj

Post by Tijatjj »

Ok so here are some pics trying to install saying no file found or whatever thanks
Tijatjj

Post by Tijatjj »

Here is pic not adding pic. But the dd etc. The name is mmblkOp2 for dev.i think that’s a Oh as opposed to zero but have tried both. The name is fienix-soar_3.0-20200426.img . The usb is 64 gig and sda(2). Did not put the 2 just sda. Just says not a file or directory?