Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Skateman

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by Skateman »

kilaueabart wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:15 am
Skateman wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:23 pm Have you copied the xorg.conf from your ubuntu install to fienix.. You have done this before as you posted a while ago..
For cry ing out loud. That was it! I thought I had reviewed past solutions but I missed this one. Thank you! Thank you!
I'm now back to Madison time and weather, but I do know how to fix those.
Good to hear that solved your issue! (again :-) )
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
Roland

Post by Roland »

I'm about to run all the updates available via Synaptic for Fienix, but it is totally safe now? When I tried that a couple of months ago, I ended up to a broken system ('Mate' update had unsolvable dependency problems) and had to switch to a backup partition. What is the situation now? I would not like to waste my time again...
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:32 pm I'm about to run all the updates available via Synaptic for Fienix, but it is totally safe now? When I tried that a couple of months ago, I ended up to a broken system ('Mate' update had unsolvable dependency problems) and had to switch to a backup partition. What is the situation now? I would not like to waste my time again...
If you're using a 3.x Soar image you can update with no issues. If you have an older image the "update all" option isn't going to work.
-Casey
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:49 pm If you're using a 3.x Soar image you can update with no issues. If you have an older image the "update all" option isn't going to work.
I have not yet tried Soar... Which of the updates should be dropped, if I update the old image? The problem with Soar is how to get all the settings and customizations from the old installation to the new one? I cannot even remember how I made all of them!-)
- Roland -
Roland

Post by Roland »

I gave now a try to the Soar... I was able to 'extract' the Fienix partition from to the USB-stick image to my HD and boot from it. Also running all the updates worked!

Some problems arose, however:

- trying to open 'users settings' (as root) does not work, the pointer just locks to the 'loading' animation.

- VLC does not open (no error messages). Tried to install also vlc-bin and vlc-Fienix, no help (the first one was installed, the latter not - an error message saying it tried to overwrite something which already existed).

- Firefox, Arctic Fox and Pale Moon are missing from the Soar depots. The new default browser is neat, but it cannot do some things the others can. (e.g. Pale Moon is the only one which can reach Gmail settings after a "severe security alert" - all the other PPC browsers are considered outdated and the access is denied!!)

- Isn't there really any way to transfer all the settings etc. from the old installation to the new one? If not, then I'm afraid I will still have to stay in my everyday use at the old one.
- Roland -
Tijatjj

Post by Tijatjj »

Hi I have an install problem with the new fienix .using Linux to install on usb keeps telling me that not a file or directory? Thanks
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Tijatjj wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:12 pm Hi I have an install problem with the new fienix .using Linux to install on usb keeps telling me that not a file or directory? Thanks
Could you please post more details?

Thanks
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Tijatjj

Post by Tijatjj »

Thanks using install script on Linux to place the new image onto usb .usb format ext4 on 64 gig usb .dd,etc bounces back no file or directory even though I put it right on desktop?
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Tijatjj wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:57 pm Thanks using install script on Linux to place the new image onto usb .usb format ext4 on 64 gig usb .dd,etc bounces back no file or directory even though I put it right on desktop?
Which commands did you use?
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Managed to get the April soar going a week or so ago. While I was at it, I reinstalled the February version to the partition where I had accidentally erased the original Fienix. The new one on my thumb drive now works also.

I may have goofed up the the April one. I messed around a bit with some of the things in the Control Center. One not so bad result is that I sign on only with password, no user name. But root also got changed to fienixPW. And a negative possibly resulting from some of those changes is that shutting down brings up a big batch of stop jobs. I worry about turning off the computer while those are running, but I don't always have ten or fifteen minutes to wait.

I took notes on the Control Center options in the February install. I have changed some of the April settings to match (haven't rebooted yet) in an attempt to fix the stop job problem, but some of the options seem different.

I was looking forward to using fienix again but this one falls short so far. The original one came with a browser that could handle email properly. Interweb doesn't. One of the greatest delights of the original fienix was that I could print properly with it although I had never set up any printing services in it. With Ubuntu I had installed some HP stuff, but printing anything more than a text file brought some degree of false color smearing.

Fienix finds my printer, and tells me it is "getting printer information..." But it never does. I have to go through my Raspberry Pi after all.