Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by kilaueabart »

I retried a 128GB Sandisk Cruzer that I had tried to copy the soar image to before. This time to my surprise, it worked. But attempts to boot from it using its FIENIX-BOOT (which looks perfectly normal if I mount and open it from Ubuntu) always bring ** Unable to read uImage-5.5 **!

I am able to launch the usb FIENIX-DISK (/dev/sdc2) by getting the kernel and .dtb from the drive I use to launch Ubuntu from () but it comes up with the same dead black screen plus test cursor as the version on my hard drive. I can mount it from Ubuntu and read modified log files, all "Assessed" on the 7th or the 8th. (Fienix has no sys.log?) Samples from the logs added below.

I was able to copy FIENIX-DISK from the usb drive to /dev/sda6, where GParted lists it without the red warning "!" and with the label FIENIX-DISK, "Used" 4.97 GiB, Unused 92.41 GiB. But attempts to boot it end up with that old black screen with the text cursor upper left. Could Compton be back? I am unable to get a TTY from this screen.

This strikes me as strange. FIENIX-DISK uses 5.23 GiB on the usb drive, but only 4.97 GiB on the hard drive copy.

And super strange: I used an earlier soar (0218? 0412?) from /dev/sda7 several times in April with no problems, but now I get a kernel panic when I try to launch it. It is down to 1.77 GiB of used space. I have not touched /dev/sda7 since copying the earlier soar there! (I plan to redo one of those soars.)
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat May 9 13:22:07 2020
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.
/usr/lib/xorg/Xorg: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so: undefined symbol: exaGetPixmapDriverPrivate

from lightdm.log
[+0.48s] DEBUG: Process 4237 exited with return value 127
[+0.48s] DEBUG: XServer 0: X server stopped
[+0.48s] DEBUG: Releasing VT 7
[+0.48s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Removing X server authority /var/run/lightdm/root/:0
[+0.48s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Display server stopped
[+0.48s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping session
[+0.48s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session stopped
[+0.48s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping display server, no sessions require it
[+0.48s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping; greeter display server failed to start
[+0.48s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping
[+0.48s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopped
[+0.48s] DEBUG: Required seat has stopped
[+0.48s] DEBUG: Stopping display manager
[+0.48s] DEBUG: Display manager stopped
[+0.48s] DEBUG: Stopping daemon
[+0.48s] DEBUG: Exiting with return value 1

Also got a lot from seat0-greeter.log.

In journal, a folder with a long alphanumeric name contains four files, system.journal is new, the other three date from April 26.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Yesterday I did dd the 0412 version of soar to /dev/sda7 without any complaint or warning, but an attempt to boot it gets the same black screen as my two sources for the 0426 version do. With no obvious way to get a terminal. Some of the log files got new Assessed: dates, some also got new Modified: dates (yesterday's), some got neither. So at least those green "OK" notices when booting are telling the truth.

I guess I'll try 0218 the next time I find some spare moments.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Ctrl^Alt^F1 still works fine from Ubuntu. It does nothing from the black screens resulting from any of my three Fienix installs. Is there no way to fix this?
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Have you copied the xorg.conf from your ubuntu install to fienix.. You have done this before as you posted a while ago..
The Xorg.conf and Compton fixes worked so I could log on to my original winter 2018-19 fienix (/dev/sda7) and on my first Fienix 2.0 soar (/dev/sda6). I decided to replace the old soar with the new one and apply the same fix. I stupidly confused the addresses (wouldn't the higher sda number be the newer one?) and replaced the original fienix with the new soar.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
Tijatjj

Post by Tijatjj »

Hi how do u copy this new fienix to hard drive.Also what is the setup for hard drive. Hi x fat ,ext 4 etc .i am assuming it will be faster than usb stick thanks
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Tijatjj wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:18 am Hi how do u copy this new fienix to hard drive.Also what is the setup for hard drive. Hi x fat ,ext 4 etc .i am assuming it will be faster than usb stick thanks
Hi Tijatjj,

Here you are.

Instructions for Installing Fienix 3.0-20200426 on a Hard Disk.

Prepare the Hard Disk

You will need an 8 GB or larger hard disk and a Fienix USB disk. Please use an additional empty hard drive for Fienix in your X5000. It is also possible to install it on a hard disk where MorphOS and/or OS4.1 are installed but this is not the recommended option and difficult.
  1. Boot Fienix from the USB disk (Link to the instructions for booting Fienix from a USB disk)
  2. Download the initrd for the stable kernel 5.5: initrd-5.5-rc7-X1000_X5000.tar.gz
  3. Download Fienix 3.0-20200426: fienix-soar_3.0-20200426.img.tar.gz
  4. Please determine the /dev path to your hard disk using one of the below methods:
    • In a terminal as su, enter "/sbin/fdisk -l"
    • In a terminal as su, enter "/sbin/parted -l"
  5. These instructions assume the /dev path to your hard disk is /dev/sdb; however, your actual /dev path is likely to be different - use the actual /dev path to your hard disk
  6. In a terminal as su, enter the below command:

Code: Select all

dd if=/path/to/fienix-soar_3.0-20200426.img of=/dev/sdb
    where "/dev/sdb" is the /dev path to your hard disk
    NOTE: this is a multi-partition disk image; do not attempt to copy the image to a specific partition - you need to enter the /dev path to the hard disk, not to a partition (use "/dev/sdb", not "/dev/sdb2")
  7. Use resize2fs to increase the "FIENIX-DISK" partition to the size of your hard disk (/sbin/resize2fs <your Fienix partition> for example "/sbin/resize2fs /dev/sdb2").
  8. Copy the intial ramdisk (uInitrd-5.5) to the first partition of your hard disk (FIENIX-BOOT)
Boot to Fienix

With the following commands you can boot Fienix 3.0-20200426 with an initial ramdisk from a hard disk:
  1. Code: Select all

setenv bootargs root=LABEL=FIENIX-DISK
  2. Code: Select all

fatload sata 1:1 1000000 uImage-5.5
  3. Code: Select all

fatload sata 1:1 1c00000 cyrus_p5020_eth_poweroff.dtb
  4. Code: Select all

fatload sata 1:1 2000000 uInitrd-5.5
  5. Code: Select all

bootm 1000000 2000000 1c00000
username: fienix
password: fienixPW
root password: rootAdminPW

Please test it.

Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Tijatjj

Post by Tijatjj »

Thank you .Also was asking partitions type like first fat32 small,and large partition ext4 large where main system goes
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Tijatjj wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:17 pm Thank you .Also was asking partitions type like first fat32 small,and large partition ext4 large where main system goes
You don’t need to create partitions. You only need to copy with “dd” the Fienix img to an empty hard disk. There is a small FAT32 boot partition and a big ext4 partition in the Fienix img.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Tijatjj

Post by Tijatjj »

Oh ok thanks
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Skateman wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:23 pm Have you copied the xorg.conf from your ubuntu install to fienix.. You have done this before as you posted a while ago..
For cry ing out loud. That was it! I thought I had reviewed past solutions but I missed this one. Thank you! Thank you!
I'm now back to Madison time and weather, but I do know how to fix those.