Uboot manual

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Fogg_80

Uboot manual

Post by Fogg_80 »

Ciao,
I have two questions:
- my version of Uboot doesn't have the menu for MorphOS, so does anyone know how to write a menu for Uboot?
- it is possible to have a detailed manual of Uboot for X5000 in order to better manage the computer.
Finally a small complaint because I am disappointed by the support, and a word of hope that this bad moment will pass as quickly as possible!
Good luck to all!
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Uboot manual

Post by tonyw »

There are not many MorphOS experts on this forum. For MorphOS support, you would be better off asking somewhere else.

U-Boot has a "help" command which will give you some clues. It's a Unix thing, so is incomprehensible to me. Maybe someone else can direct you to some readable docs.
cheers
tony
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JohnFante »

Fogg_80 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:04 pm Ciao,
I have two questions:
- my version of Uboot doesn't have the menu for MorphOS, so does anyone know how to write a menu for Uboot?
- it is possible to have a detailed manual of Uboot for X5000 in order to better manage the computer.
Finally a small complaint because I am disappointed by the support, and a word of hope that this bad moment will pass as quickly as possible!
Good luck to all!
It looks like you should update your version of uboot. The latest versions of uboot on X5000 has the MorphOS menu installed and enabled. I would contact A-EON for the latest version including installation instructions. The only thing the menu item does is scan your drives for a boot.img that loads MorphOS but it is not something you can do your self.

Updating uboot will also give you a lot of bugfixes and new features so you should do it anyhow. Takes only a minute or two.

I am running MorphOS on my X5000. Runs very well - if you install it on a separate HD. But you should be aware that it only supports rather old GFX cards. The best is a Radeon 1950 pro - as far as I can see.

Good luck!
X5000 :-)
Fogg_80

Post by Fogg_80 »

I thank everyone for the answers, but they confirm the fact that the support for our machines is, I would say, non-existent! I don't think there are many who have purchased an X5000, so it seems easy to notify or send a simple email with the due updates, in this case U-Boot. I don't like to be controversial and I don't want to seem it, I just want to suggest the necessary improvements to user support, for example a single and simple download area where registered users can access free updates. Or, since I have always had problems buying on amistore due to Odyssey, foresee the possibility of purchasing also through other platforms (win, mac, linux).
I hope I haven't been boring, my aim is simply to improve support for us poor users (X1000 docet, true JohnFante !?) and I think the more we have information, the more we can also help the development of our beloved system.
One last question, can you tell me if the version of U-boot for X5020 is the same or different from that for X5040?
Good day everyone and thanks again for the answers.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Fogg_80 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:22 amcan you tell me if the version of U-boot for X5020 is the same or different from that for X5040?
They are different.

Best regards,

Niels
Fogg_80

Post by Fogg_80 »

Thanks for reply,
I'm a little surprised because the mainboard is the same, only the cpu changes. Obviously I am ignorant on the subject, I am still amazed.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

The CPUs are very different and the memory map is different, so, as a result, the initialisation functions in U-Boot are different.
cheers
tony
Fogg_80

Post by Fogg_80 »

OK thanks. I keep learning the necessary things about Uboot.
gordini21

Post by gordini21 »

Hello,

If it is possible i can send you a copy of my Uboot ? I have a X5000 under Morphos only (5020).
I just need the way of working for copying the uboot. Maybe i can mount the sd card under morphos ?
and it is a good thing because i have no backup of the card and it is recommended :)

Regards
Fogg_80

Post by Fogg_80 »

Thank you, but I think it's copyrighted ;) ;) ;)
I will try to write to Amigakit as Skateman did hoping that they answer me, they always have biblical times.
You are happy with MorphOS on X5000?