ScreenBlanker crashes

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Roland

ScreenBlanker crashes

Post by Roland »

I have problems with the AmigaOS 4.1 ScreenBlanker (v. 53.5). It crashes (DSI, Guru 80000003) during the 'blanking'. Also, if I open the ScreenBlanker prefs program, it crashes immediately! So I cannot even try to change it's settings... I can disable and 'remove' it from Commodities exchange, but even if I 'Save' the settings in C. exchange, the Screenblanker reappears there after next reboot!

How could I remove/disable the ScreenBlanker totally? What files should to be removed?
- Roland -
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: ScreenBlanker crashes

Post by nbache »

Go to Prefs, WBStartUp, and remove the tick next to the ScreenBlankerEngine.

Save the prefs and reboot.

Best regards,

Niels
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@Roland

What hardware, how much ram and what resolution do you use?

I have the same problem and suspect RAM is running out during "blanking" and the system crashes due to the infamous "AmigaOS4 cannot use ~300MB of it's own RAM, but crashes instead" bug.
How do i know that?
I have a RAM/CPU/GFX MEM docky running and can see that the RAM usage peaks to nearly 80-90% usage once Screenblanker kicks in.
I immediately moved the mouse to get back to WB on my test cases and was able to catch it.

I'm using 2560x1440 with 2 GB RAM and it crashes nearly all the time (once some programs are open and have eaten away some amount of RAM it crashes 100%).
I've removed screenblanker engine from WBStartUp for quite some now myself.

And i have already reported the problem...not sure if anyone bothered to create a ticket for it, though.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

@Raziel:
And i have already reported the problem...not sure if anyone bothered to create a ticket for it, though.
If you mean the bug about not being able to use all the RAM, I believe that's both reported and fixed. Not sure in which version of which module though (probably the kernel).

About ScreenBlanker, I remember some blanker modules were more crash-prone than others, so if you really miss blanking, you could experiment with the nodule loist in Prefs/ScreenBlanker.

Personally, I turn off the monitor when I don't use it, and I don't want to waste resources on running a screenblanker.

Best regards,

Niels
Roland

Post by Roland »

@nbache
Thank you for the tip, Niels! I had totally forgotten it was activated in WBStartup...

@Raziel
Raziel wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:30 pm What hardware, how much ram and what resolution do you use?
I have X5000/20 with max RAM, Radeon HD 5450 1GB and I use 1280x1024x32. I do not know exactly how long it takes to the blanker to crash but at least 10 minutes. The prefs program still crashes even if the blanker itself has been disabled in WBStartup.
- Roland -