Restoring automatically ethernet MAC addresses

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Restoring automatically ethernet MAC addresses

Post by tonyw »

I'm afraid that I'm out of ideas. Except for that old standby, the CR2032 coin cell.

If it's not a hardware issue (and you've shown that you can both read and write to the SD Card), then it must be a software issue.

I do suggest you make or buy a null-modem cable. Then you could capture on the Micro the U-Boot output from the X5k. Maybe with a full log of what it said and you said, we can see what is unusual about your machine.
cheers
tony
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

tonyw wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:00 am If it's not a hardware issue (and you've shown that you can both read and write to the SD Card), then it must be a software issue.

I do suggest you make or buy a null-modem cable. Then you could capture on the Micro the U-Boot output from the X5k. Maybe with a full log of what it said and you said, we can see what is unusual about your machine.
Is that U-Boot debug output 'on' by default, or do you have to enable it by some variable? What are the serial port parameters needed at the other end? I will probably have to use a classic Amiga.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Most of what you need to know is described here:

https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Advanced_ ... ging_Guide

It looks mainly at the situation where you want the debug log from the running (or booting) AmigaOS, not the UBoot output. But it is set up the same way, so just follow that toturial, and you'll be set.

If your other end is a classic Amiga, use Term as described. You may be at its limit with 115200 bps, but even if you end up losing a character now and then, the result will still be useful.

Oh, and Term might ask you on start if you want to turn on flow control, don't do that.

Edit: You ask also if you need to do anything to get UBoot to output the information, and the answer is no.

Best regards,

Niels
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

nbache wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:39 pm Most of what you need to know is described here:

https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Advanced_ ... ging_Guide

It looks mainly at the situation where you want the debug log from the running (or booting) AmigaOS, not the UBoot output. But it is set up the same way, so just follow that toturial, and you'll be set.

If your other end is a classic Amiga, use Term as described. You may be at its limit with 115200 bps, but even if you end up losing a character now and then, the result will still be useful.

Oh, and Term might ask you on start if you want to turn on flow control, don't do that.
Thank you very much for all that information! You and Tony are very helpful, as usual :-).

I wonder how important it is to have the 'jump wire' between pin 1 (CD) and pin 6 (DSR) at both ends of the null-modem cable (D9-D9)?

Regards,

Gregor
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

No, forget that. You only need the RX, TX and ground. Nothing else is connected at the X5k end.

RX from one end becomes TX at the other, so pins 2 & 3 are swapped in the cable. Pin 5 (ground) goes straight through.

I would suggest that you use Term on the MicroA1, rather than on a Classic.

U-Boot has env-vars for the serial speed and what is output to where.
The speed var is "baudrate". It is usually set to 115200, but can be dropped to a lower value if you experience line errors. Your Micro should handle 115200 OK, but a Classic would be better off running at say 19200 or 9600.
The other var is the "stdout" It is usually set to "serial, vga", meaning that everything that U-Boot says or echoes from the keyboard is both printed on screen and sent to serial.
cheers
tony