Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6309
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote:There have been several upgrades to Fienix, including to MATE 1.22. However, it seems there is a problem with MATE-Terminal. It launches and immediately quits but I cannot seem to get an error. Please confirm if you have this issue. If you have a basic Debian sid installation, please let me know if you have this issue with that installation. You may install PangoTerm in the meantime.
Hi Casey,

Many thanks for the updates! I was able to install them today. MATE 1.22.1, Mesa 19.1.6, Quake-HD-Redux, and the MATE-Terminal work without any problems! :-)

Screenshot:

Image

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
caseycullen
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:12 am
Location: Madison, WI USA
Contact:

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by caseycullen »

xeno74 wrote:
caseycullen wrote:There have been several upgrades to Fienix, including to MATE 1.22. However, it seems there is a problem with MATE-Terminal. It launches and immediately quits but I cannot seem to get an error. Please confirm if you have this issue. If you have a basic Debian sid installation, please let me know if you have this issue with that installation. You may install PangoTerm in the meantime.
Hi Casey,

Many thanks for the updates! I was able to install them today. MATE 1.22.1, Mesa 19.1.6, Quake-HD-Redux, and the MATE-Terminal work without any problems! :-)

Screenshot:

Image

Cheers,
Christian
Wonderful, thank you for testing!
-Casey
User avatar
caseycullen
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:12 am
Location: Madison, WI USA
Contact:

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by caseycullen »

@Christian - you asked for a few packages and a PATH correction but I can't find the comment - can you repost please?
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6309
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote:@Christian - you asked for a few packages and a PATH correction but I can't find the comment - can you repost please?
Here you are:
xeno74 wrote:
caseycullen wrote:I just released Arctic Fox 27.9.18 in the Fienix Software Repository. See Fienix News.
Also, an issue with the Greasemonkey package has been fixed. Please test installing/reinstalling Greasemonkey from the repository.
Let me know if you have any issues.
Thanks!
Casey
Hi Casey,

Many thanks for Arctic Fox 27.9.18. I successfully installed it today and it works. I updated Greasemonkey as well and it also works. :-)

Screenshot:

Image

Could you please add the NetworkManager Applet and the firmware-misc-nonfree package to your repository?

You need the following packages:
  • firmware-misc-nonfree_20190717-2_all.deb
  • network-manager-gnome_1.8.22-2_powerpc.deb
  • libnma0_1.8.22-2_powerpc.deb
Additionally please add /sbin to the PATH variable (export PATH=$PATH:/sbin).

Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Roland
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 am

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by Roland »

How could I 'reset' the network settings in Fienix? I tested for a short time a different network connection type (Sagemcom F-3686ACv2) with Fienix, and now when I switched back to to the old connection (with Huawei B315) it does not work at all (no connection). I did not do any changes in network settings myself.
- Roland -
Roland
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 am

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by Roland »

I cannot get ANY network connection to work anymore! There is during bootup this kind of error message: 'failed raise network connections'.

How can this be fixed?! Fienix is now quite useless :-(.

BTW, just before these problems started, I tried to update Greasemonkey. For some reaseon it did not quite work as the version did not change (still 3.8) but as there were quite a many packages needed with it, maybe some of them caused this problem? I removed now Greasemonkey totally but it did not solve the network issue.

So, please, tell me how to reconfigure the network again...?
- Roland -
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6309
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by xeno74 »

Roland wrote:How could I 'reset' the network settings in Fienix? I tested for a short time a different network connection type (Sagemcom F-3686ACv2) with Fienix, and now when I switched back to to the old connection (with Huawei B315) it does not work at all (no connection). I did not do any changes in network settings myself.
Hi Roland,

Please download and install the NetworkManager applet.

Downloads:
You can install it with dpkg -i as root. After that you can easily configure your network connections with the Network manager applet. (Network symbol at the right upper corner)

If you want to use WLAN then please install the package firmware-misc-nonfree_20190717-2_all.deb additionally.

Casey will add the NetworkManager applet to his repository soon.

Thanks,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Roland
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 am

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by Roland »

xeno74 wrote:[Please download and install the NetworkManager applet.

Downloads: You can install it with dpkg -i as root. After that you can easy configure your network connections with the Network manager applet. (Network symbol at the right upper corner)
Thanks for the tip! I tried to install it, first the libnma0 and then the manager-applet, but there were some problems:

Code: Select all

root@Fienix:/media/NTFS1# dpkg -i network-manager-gnome_1.8.22-2_powerpc.deb
(Reading database ... 229202 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack network-manager-gnome_1.8.22-2_powerpc.deb ...
Unpacking network-manager-gnome (1.8.22-2) over (1.8.22-2) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of network-manager-gnome:
 network-manager-gnome depends on network-manager (>= 1.8); however:
  Package network-manager is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package network-manager-gnome (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.62) ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.4-1) ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-4) ...
Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0:powerpc (2.60.6-2) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 network-manager-gnome
The network symbol did not appear at the corner. I also run the installation second time but it did not change anything.

What should I try now...?
- Roland -
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6309
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by xeno74 »

Roland wrote: What should I try now...?
Please try to install the NetworkManager.

Download: network-manager_1.20.2-1_powerpc.deb

After that install the libnma0 and then the NetworkManager applet.

-- Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Roland
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 am

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by Roland »

xeno74 wrote:[Please try to install the NetworkManager.

Download: network-manager_1.20.2-1_powerpc.deb

After that install the libnma0 and then the NetworkManager applet.
There was still a dependency problem:

Code: Select all

rroot@Fienix: dpkg -i '/media/NTFS1/network-manager_1.20.2-1_powerpc.deb' 
(Reading database ... 229335 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../network-manager_1.20.2-1_powerpc.deb ...
Unpacking network-manager (1.20.2-1) over (1.20.2-1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of network-manager:
 network-manager depends on libnm0 (= 1.20.2-1); however:
  Version of libnm0:powerpc on system is 1.14.6-2.

dpkg: error processing package network-manager (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for systemd (242-7) ...
Processing triggers for dbus (1.12.16-1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 network-manager
- Roland -
Post Reply