CFS/00 filesystem not recognized by OS4.1 FE

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Roland

CFS/00 filesystem not recognized by OS4.1 FE

Post by Roland »

I am trying to read with AmigaOS 4.1 FE Prerelease a HD formatted and partitioned under AmigaOS 4.1 classic.
Some of the partitions on this disk are shown as unreadable, and MediaToolbox identifies them as:

Type: CFS\00 identifier: 43465300 (The identifier is the same which SFS/00 has - why is the type different?)

MediaToolbox also shows that the disk has in its RDB a.o. this filesystem:

Dostype 0x43465300
Version 1.277
Lenght 98252
Filename L:SmartFileSystem

How could I get these CFS/00 partitions to work with FE Prerelease? Should I remove or add some filesystem to the RDB? (FE Prerelease does not have SFS in L:, it is a Kickstart module).
- Roland -
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: CFS/00 filesystem not recognized by OS4.1 FE

Post by tonyw »

The fact that your old disk has a file system handler in its RDB is not helpful, as it is 68K and all RDB file systems are ignored. 68K file systems can not be used under OS4.

I have never heard of "CFS". Why do you say it's the same as SFS? SFS' DOSType should be SFS\0, SFS\2, SFS\3, etc.

If, as I suspect, there is no PPC version of the CFS file system, you will have to use a Classic to copy those partitions to something like a USB stick or FFS partition.
cheers
tony
Roland

Post by Roland »

tonyw wrote: I have never heard of "CFS". Why do you say it's the same as SFS? SFS' DOSType should be SFS\0, SFS\2, SFS\3, etc.
MediToobox simply shows for CFS/00 the same identifier '43465300'! And if you open MediaToolbox and create a new partion, and then go to the filesystem selection, and choose there 'customised filesystem', and then input the identifier '43465300', MediaToolbox gives it automatically the type "CFS/00". That's how these partitions were originally created.
If, as I suspect, there is no PPC version of the CFS file system, you will have to use a Classic to copy those partitions to something like a USB stick or FFS partition.
It cannot be a 68K filesystem as it was and still can be 'created' by OS4.1 MediaToolbox.
- Roland -
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Rigo »

MediToobox simply shows for CFS/00 the same identifier '43465300'!
If it really is SFS, then the identifier would be 53465300. I've not heard of CFS.

Simon
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

CFS means "stupid user didn't read the manual". It simply stands for Custom File System and is the contents of the DosType input field which you should overtype when you add a new file system to the RDB. It should never be used for file systems and partitions. (But it can if you use it in both places.)

To read the partitions with OS4 you should correct the dostype of the partitions to SFS\0. But if the HDD should continue working on 68k systems, you have to correct the dostype of the file system in the RDB, too.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Roland wrote:I am trying to read with AmigaOS 4.1 FE Prerelease a HD formatted and partitioned under AmigaOS 4.1 classic.
Some of the partitions on this disk are shown as unreadable, and MediaToolbox identifies them as:

Type: CFS\00 identifier: 43465300 (The identifier is the same which SFS/00 has - why is the type different?)
You (or whoever set the partition up) made typo when entering a custom file system perhaps? As Rigo points out the first charater of SFS/0 is 53 (ie S) not 43 (C)

The other possibilty is that is foriegn filesystem supported by FUSE (filesysbox.library) but if so it's not one I've heard of.

MediaToolBox does not limit you to filesystem IDs it "knows about". This is to allow for third party filesystems. It will allow to to add a new custom type and will offer any custom types that it finds on the disk already, so the presense of CFS\0 does not off itself indicate validity.

Are these partitions formatted with data?
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

tonyw wrote:68K file systems can not be used under OS4.
Really? I am quite sure you could use PFS3 in OS4, at least in OS4.0.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

thomasrapp wrote:
tonyw wrote:68K file systems can not be used under OS4.
Really? I am quite sure you could use PFS3 in OS4, at least in OS4.0.
I think you are right, they can be. Though they may need to be in L: rather than RDB? Not confident on that, it's an absolute age since I used a 68k filesystem per seh.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Yes, quite right. I meant that you can't use 68K FS "from the RDB" under OS4. As Andy says, you can copy them to L/ and run them from there.
cheers
tony
Roland

Post by Roland »

thomasrapp wrote:CFS means "stupid user didn't read the manual". It simply stands for Custom File System and is the contents of the DosType input field which you should overtype when you add a new file system to the RDB. It should never be used for file systems and partitions. (But it can if you use it in both places.)
Thank you for you kind words, Sir... WHAT MANUAL the stupid user SHOULD have read?

At least I read the AmigaOS 4.1 (Update 2) Installation manual, in which it is indeed advised to use the 'Custom File System' and 'DosType', if the SFS/0 is not directly listed (Page 25, Adding Work Partitions).

I think you own me an apology, Sir...
- Roland -