Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote:I'll look further into it. Maybe we need a compatible font?
Fienix boots without IBus running. I go Menu>Preferences>IBus Preferences.

Code: Select all

The IBus daemon is not running. Do you wish to start it?
> Yes

IBus has been started! If you cannot use IBus, add the followsing lines to your $HOME/.bashrc; then relog into your desktop.
  export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
  export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
  export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
        OK
The first time I got this message I failed to find $HOME/.bashrc, so I made one. I have since found /etc/bash.bashrc, so I went to Ubuntu to compare the situation. Ubuntu has both $HOME/.bashrc and /etc/bash.bashrc. They share some lines, but not all. Neither file in Ubuntu has any of those "export" lines.

As for fonts, I can insert Japanese characters one at a time in LibreOffice Writer from Noto Sans CJK JP, but not yet type it in.

I am a bit baffled. ("a bit" means "totally.")

Oh, I forgot this little oddity last night, possibly a clue? When I set to either of the Japanese options, the keyboard gets a bit mixed up.

Keyboard - English
`1234567890-=
~!@#$%^&*()_+
qwertyuiop[]\
QWERTYUIOP{}|
asdfghjkl;'
ASDFGHJKL:"
zxcvbnm,./
ZXCVBNM<>?

Keyboard - Japanese (JA) or - Anthy
1234567890-^
!"#$%&'()~=~
qwertyuiop@[]
QWERTYUIOP`{}
asdfghjkl;:
ASDFGHJKL+*
zxcvbnm,./
ZXCVBNM<>?
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

I don't think the problem is related to bashrc. bashrc is just commands to run upon login. The bashrc in /etc affects all users. The one in the home folder affects only that user.
kilaueabart wrote:
caseycullen wrote:I'll look further into it. Maybe we need a compatible font?
Fienix boots without IBus running. I go Menu>Preferences>IBus Preferences.

The IBus daemon is not running. Do you wish to start it?
> Yes

IBus has been started! If you cannot use IBus, add the followsing lines to your $HOME/.bashrc; then relog into your desktop.
  export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
  export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
  export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
        OK
The first time I got this message I failed to find $HOME/.bashrc, so I made one. I have since found /etc/bash.bashrc, so I went to Ubuntu to compare the situation. Ubuntu has both $HOME/.bashrc and /etc/bash.bashrc. They share some lines, but not all. Neither file in Ubuntu has any of those "export" lines.

As for fonts, I can insert Japanese characters one at a time in LibreOffice Writer from Noto Sans CJK JP, but not yet type it in.

I am a bit baffled. ("a bit" means "totally.")

Oh, I forgot this little oddity last night, possibly a clue? When I set to either of the Japanese options, the keyboard gets a bit mixed up.

Keyboard - English
`1234567890-=
~!@#$%^&*()_+
qwertyuiop[]\
QWERTYUIOP{}|
asdfghjkl;'
ASDFGHJKL:"
zxcvbnm,./
ZXCVBNM<>?

Keyboard - Japanese (JA) or - Anthy
1234567890-^
!"#$%&'()~=~
qwertyuiop@[]
QWERTYUIOP`{}
asdfghjkl;:
ASDFGHJKL+*
zxcvbnm,./
ZXCVBNM<>?
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

caseycullen wrote:I don't think the problem is related to bashrc. bashrc is just commands to run upon login. The bashrc in /etc affects all users. The one in the home folder affects only that user.
Noting that ibus and Anthy both work fine in Ubuntu 16.04 and no bashrc there has any of the lines I was supposed to add "if you cannot use ibus," I removed the one I had set up in fienix. Ibus works the same as before, allowing me to choose Japanese - Anthy or English - English (US), without letting me actually type Japanese.

But now that the bashrc with those lines is gone, one improvement: the keyboard doesn't change when I select Anthy the way it did before.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

A bit of excitement today as I switched from Ubuntu to Fienix to check whether the New Moon in Fienix would have the same problem as the one in Ubuntu. As it was booting up with all those screen messages, I got a new one, Start job running. I often get stop jobs when I quit Ubuntu, but I had no idea there were start jobs too.

I had start jobs running for three different things. Network Manager Wait Online, Rotate log files, and Disk Manager. The Disk Manager one failed and stopped running after 6 minutes and 29 seconds, but the other two kept going. I was afraid to hit the restart button for fear that something would end up making Fienix unbootable if they didn't finish, but after 10 minutes I gave up and pressed the restart button on X5000. No problem this time. :P
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

I've added some new games to Fienix! None of these are available on other distros that I'm aware of.

Geometry Genocide: really fun game sort of like Geometry Wars or Grid Wars. Check out the gameplay video on Fienix News.

Geometry Cometry:
another "geometrian" space shooter.

MICshooter: a vertical shooter with "old school" game play but really nice looking graphics.

Exogene: Tower Defense with a pretty steep difficulty curve.

pyTowerDefense: Tower Defense with a much more traditional difficulty curve.

Please try out and let me know if you run into any issues.
Thanks and enjoy!
-Casey
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

I have Fienix installed on an X1000, but I don't think that matters. Is there any way to eliminate the login requester? I have a ubunty mate install that doesn't require a login or Admin pw, I want the same with Fienix.
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Their should be a setting in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf to allow autologin. Probably do a web search to find which to change. Not near my X1000 at this time.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Fienix uses LightDM; the answer is documented in https://wiki.debian.org/LightDM
-Casey
sundown wrote:I have Fienix installed on an X1000, but I don't think that matters. Is there any way to eliminate the login requester? I have a ubunty mate install that doesn't require a login or Admin pw, I want the same with Fienix.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote:I've added some new games to Fienix!
Hi Casey,

Many thanks for the new games. I successfully installed MICshooter today. It works without any problems. :-)

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know :)
-Casey
xeno74 wrote:
caseycullen wrote:I've added some new games to Fienix!
Hi Casey,

Many thanks for the new games. I successfully installed MICshooter today. It works without any problems. :-)

Cheers,
Christian