Linux X1000 newbie

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
alfkil

Re: Linux X1000 newbie

Post by alfkil »

I use exactly those command to boot Fienix. I am waiting for a CF card in the mail to see, if that improves the boot stability.

I do see errors sometimes when loading the zimage. But it doesn't seem to influence the boot depandability if they appear or not.

Is it true, that someone has succeeded booting the kernel from an AmigaOS partition? Because that would just be ... soooo.... much easier.
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

alfkil wrote:Thanks. It works now. I was expecting some kind of install procedure, but I guess I just copy the content to a suitable ext4 partition. If only there was gparted included with the distro ;).

One more question: The actual kernel boot from CFE fails almost 9 out of 10 times. Is that standard procedure?? I can almost always boot AmigaOS 4.1 without problems, although I get the occasional stall at the boot screen.

The CFE fail happens at the '__start()' line, when the Linux boot console is supposed to show up.
There is a chance that your cell battery voltage is getting low if it hasn't been changed in a while, it should not be under 3V.
I had to replace mine when booting os4 got flakey. Others have had the same issue & fix, Just a thought.
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
alfkil

Post by alfkil »

@sundown

Thanks for the advice. Are there any sources of how-to-do-that for that particular modification? I'm not an electrician these days :).
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

alfkil wrote:@sundown

Thanks for the advice. Are there any sources of how-to-do-that for that particular modification? I'm not an electrician these days :).
I've never seen any info on how to remove the battery. Its held in place by the cell holder clip. You need to use both hands to push down on the back of the battery to get it to slide out from under the clip, not easy. Putting a new one in is easier, just slide it in + side up & push it in till it drops into place. Maybe you know someone who can measure the voltage & avoid replacement if over 3V. If you do put a new one in, you'll want to set your system to the correct time, CFE should be ok.
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Note: When inserting the new battery, try to avoid touching the flat surfaces with your bare fingers. Either use gloves or touch only the edges. Otherwise you will leave fingerprints which can reduce battery life.

The battery type is CR2032, it should be available in most Danish lamp shops etc.

Best regards,

Niels
alfkil

Post by alfkil »

@nbache & sundown

Thanks. I am not so computery these days, so I ask strange questions.

Having changed the battery and installed a cf card in the internal slots, I have improved the booting to non-booting ratio up till about 1 to 3. This is still catastrophic, but at least I can conclude, that it works in theory. I have internet connection, and MintPPC runs like a charm. I cannot boot FIENIX from the cf card, though.

Are there any rational explanations why I have such a hard time getting the machine to boot the kernel and recognize the disks? AmigaOS 4.1 starts up nearly every time with everything working as it should.
Last edited by alfkil on Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Do you have another USB drive connected to your X1000?

— Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
alfkil

Post by alfkil »

@xeno74

Nope. Just mouse and keyboard.

I have tried booting from two different usb sticks and from the cf card. It is pretty much the same in all cases. That is it miraculously works sometimes, but mostly not.

The battery replacement seems to have helped a little bit, but not a lot.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Please try the non-compressed kernel 4.19.1.

Code: Select all

boot -elf- noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-4.19
Download: vmlinux-4.19.1-AmigaOne_X1000_X5000.tar.gz

I would recommend you to use a fast USB flash drive. For example: SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive.

http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Is there even a USB 3.0 port on the X1000? And if so, does it work as 3.0 under Linux? (as opposed to OS 4, which doesn't support 3.0).

Best regards,

Niels