How to use CFE dir command on a partition?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: How to use CFE dir command on a partition?

Post by nbache »

vox wrote:
tonyw wrote:AFAIK the only Amiga file system that CFE can read and understand is FFS. That's why the boot partition containing amigaboot.of must be in an FFS partition.
And that is exact reason why it needs an update >:-)
What benefit would you expect from that? Just loading amigaboot is hardly the bottleneck of booting, even if it has to happen from FFS.

Best regards,

Niels
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

nbache wrote:What benefit would you expect from that? Just loading amigaboot is hardly the bottleneck of booting, even if it has to happen from FFS.
I think what Vox means is not things like loading amigaboot, but all file systems supported. CFE is said to support Ext2, but as per my tests above, I can't get it to work. FAT16/32 should work but there have been issues with this file system for years. Even with FFS and other file systems there are issues loading from HDD. Kickstart does work but loading Linux files always fails.

From recent testing I found I cannot use CFE with flash drives in my USB ports. I can leave it plugged in or plug it in after CFE is set up. But USB flash drives are not detected. The only way I can use flash drives is when plugged into the USB ports of my Mac keyboard. Now, given the usual X1000 owner wouldn't be using a Mac keyboard, how can they use USB flash drives in CFE normally when they don't work when plugged in directly?

On top of this is the usual instability of CFE when amigaboot has loaded. Whatever it does, I don't know, but if amigaboot is loaded at all then quits for whatever reason it corrupts CFE and it crashes within seconds.

It's no wonder CFE has had a high amount of criticism levelled at it. UBoot wasn't thought of very highly. But I bet it was welcomed back in the X5000. Whatever version it is, UBoot has certainly been more stable. It may have bugs but it never crashed without good reason.
xenic

Post by xenic »

Hypex wrote: From recent testing I found I cannot use CFE with flash drives in my USB ports.
It works for me with FAT flash drives (USB stick) if I plug one in after I get to CFE command line.
I just did this:

Turned on my X1000.
Pressed 'F' to get to the CFE command line.
Plugged in an FAT flash drive.
CFE prints: "USBMASS:Unit 0 connected"
Entered "dir -fatfs usbdisk0:" (without quotes)
CFE listed the root contents of the flash drive.

Maybe I've misunderstood what you are saying but FAT flash drives work for me.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
vox

Post by vox »

tonyw wrote:AFAIK the only Amiga file system that CFE can read and understand is FFS. That's why the boot partition containing amigaboot.of must be in an FFS partition.
Why it cant boot Linux kernels from FFS formatted BDH0: ?
(which it should, ext3 also according to CFE manual ... whereby it can boot from FAT16,EXT3, FFS

My memory card is dead and USB needs a "CFE stop"

I mean, so many bugs in CFE it really *needs* rework beyond Radeon Polaris support

Starting with reading 1/10 USB ports and corrupting CFE card on second write.
vox

Post by vox »

xenic wrote:
Hypex wrote: Maybe I've misunderstood what you are saying but FAT flash drives work for me.
Yes, but if you dont make a CFE stop with F, it does not. So CFE actually supports only 1/10 USBs (keyboard) upon boot, unless stopped.
That is a MAJOR bug, causing a lot of problems (keyboard must be in that port ...) and is a shame is continued to "final end user CFE release".

So, in real world test (and that is without CFE stop), no, it cannot autoboot USB device e.g. with CFE lines, even properly written.

I am in such a position since my mem card is corrupted (by FAT16 writte, bug also) and it is %$! stuck in metal slug (this is also bad design on board).
328gts

Post by 328gts »

@ xenic

good to know though I've heard about VGA signal delays with certain Radeon BIOS cards so would be nice to get a CFE update
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

xenic wrote:
Hypex wrote: Maybe I've misunderstood what you are saying but FAT flash drives work for me.
I think you understand fine. The steps you followed is also what I have tried. But when I tested it CFE it would freeze after printing this message about USB being connected. This would be in my front USB ports of my case. One USB2 type, the USB3 type. Leaving a drive in either port is ignored on bootup.

I don't know if it just doesn't like my drives or what but I couldn't get any to work as they should. Or as the firmware should. I have a few SanDisk drives lying around. Which is funny as I found plugging a SanDisk directly into my A1/XE was picked up by UBoot. Perhaps I just come across a rare random bug.

Right now I can only rely on plugging drives in through my Mac keyboard which is strange.