Graphical glitch in shell window

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Graphical glitch in shell window

Post by tonyw »

The problem is that it doesn't happen for me on any of my systems. I still need a reliable way to reproduce it. I tried installing the theme that Samo quoted, but I don't see a layout problem here - I see a window with no scroller knob at all, just the up/down buttons in the right border (exactly as shown in Samo's first screen grab). That, in my view, is not a corruption but an attempt by the system to squash as much information into the space as it can.

I can make the minimum window size bigger, but unless I can see a fault, I can't be sure that it is fixed.

I'll try running the FE version of console.device, see if it behaves any differently from the current version.
cheers
tony
samo79

Post by samo79 »

@tonyw

Yep for this test better if you can use the imagodespira theme on a standard FinalEdition installation
And then try installing AISS as its installer will open automatically such type of shell's window ...
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

I reproduced it simply by installing lightblue or darkblue theme of imagodespira and starting CLI.

Of course, on a stock FE without updates.

edit : by the way even with default theme simply by starting CLI, it seems to occurs, no ?

http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I just generated a brand-new installation of Final Edition and tested it with "NewShell" and "CLI". Both work flawlessly, showing space for about 4 or 5 rows of text, with a proper scroller knob:
FE-NewShell.png
FE-NewShell.png (4.81 KiB) Viewed 9846 times
zzd10h's picture is not from a default install - the colours are not the default colours. Also the window does not reach across the whole width of the screen as the default does.

I don't know what is different on your systems, but I repeat that on a default system without third-party add-ons, there is no fault.
I don't feel that I have to debug third-party add-ons, but I am quite willing to help the author of any of these add-ons to solve the problem if (s)he writes to me about it.
cheers
tony
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

"zzd10h's picture is not from a default install - the colours are not the default colours."

Is SYS:Prefs/Presets/Default/1920x1080 a OS4 FE stock theme ?
If yes, I use a default theme. For the color, true, I modified S:Shell-Startup.

What about if you decrease again the height of your newcli window ?
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

tonyw wrote:I just generated a brand-new installation of Final Edition and tested it with "NewShell" and "CLI". Both work flawlessly, showing space for about 4 or 5 rows of text, with a proper scroller knob:
FE-NewShell.png
zzd10h's picture is not from a default install - the colours are not the default colours. Also the window does not reach across the whole width of the screen as the default does.

I don't know what is different on your systems, but I repeat that on a default system without third-party add-ons, there is no fault.
I don't feel that I have to debug third-party add-ons, but I am quite willing to help the author of any of these add-ons to solve the problem if (s)he writes to me about it.
... now just make the window smaller vertically. to the minimum.
and you can see the problem i believe,

regards...
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Michael is right, I can see it now.

Sorry, guys, I was looking for an old GUI fault that was fixed many years ago and didn't see exactly what you were talking about.

I'll change the minimum window height accordingly.
cheers
tony
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

Thank you !
Scriptjester
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Scriptjester »

Is this problem is related to GUI pref or shell ?

Because there is a problem like this with the about window of MUI for long, and, if i remember well, it was said that was not a MUI problem but a AmigaOS GUI problem
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

Scriptjester wrote:Is this problem is related to GUI pref or shell ?

Because there is a problem like this with the about window of MUI for long, and, if i remember well, it was said that was not a MUI problem but a AmigaOS GUI problem
well, i's say if i tell a window to render at a specific size and the window renders some gadgets wrong it definitely is a window problem and not a problem of the caller of the window.
just checked with MUIs about window and you're right. if i resize it (much smaller) the slider arrow gadgets overwrite the border. but the slider itself simply vanishes. this is drawn correctly. just the sliders are not.
-> either the resizing must be prevented or (better?) if the space is not enough the gadgets must be dropped automatically.
all IMHO

i filed a bz entry to let it be checked.

regards...
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)