Update 3 - No new con-handler?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
zerohero

Update 3 - No new con-handler?

Post by zerohero »

Hello!

I've very surprised to see that this update does not include an updated con-handler and console.device? Is this just an error or has something happened to decide it is not to be included?

Regards,
Joachim Birging
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Update 3 - No new con-handler?

Post by Hypex »

I did notice too after running CLI that the standard shell still hasn't got a scroll bar. Back to 68K for me! :-)
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

patience. will come when it's done, well betatested :-)
zerohero

Post by zerohero »

javierdlr wrote:patience. will come when it's done, well betatested :-)
AFAIK it's been tested and used for quite some time. I can quote a core developer on that...
zerohero

Post by zerohero »

I've learnt it been held but no other reason than "sorry, boss said nope" was given. To say the least I am very disappointed.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

zerohero wrote:I've very surprised to see that this update does not include an updated con-handler and console.device? Is this just an error or has something happened to decide it is not to be included?
The update was focused on bug fixes. The new console is a brand new feature and will be included in the next major release.
ExecSG Team Lead
zerohero

Post by zerohero »

ssolie wrote:The update was focused on bug fixes. The new console is a brand new feature and will be included in the next major release.
Yes. charge another €100 (would make it €400 for me, if I decide to buy it) for an updated shell. Sorry about the cynical view, but this was a big let down to me.

EDIT:
And how can USB v2 be a bug fix while console.device and con-handler is not? That just doesn't make sense...
chris

Post by chris »

zerohero wrote:And how can USB v2 be a bug fix while console.device and con-handler is not? That just doesn't make sense...
Not sure, because both have been in development for years and I think were originally planned for 4.0.
davebraco
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by davebraco »

It was not planned to release the new con-handler with update 3. Maybe the new con-handler is not fully finished and need to be deeply tested...

More over USB2 seems to be more urgent than a new con-handler to basic end user.

Zero Hero, I don't think the next major update will only contain an updated con-handler.
µA1 256mo SATA -> lend to a dev
A1200PPC 256Mo MediatorTX Radeon9250 SATA RTL8029 SOLO-1
Sam440ep 533mhz 512mo 64Go SSD
Sam460ex 1150mhz 2Go RadeonHD 6570LP ENVY24HT
AmigaOne X1000 4Go SSD R9 270X Catweasel MK4
AmigaOne X5000 -> work in progress
zerohero

Post by zerohero »

davebraco wrote:It was not planned to release the new con-handler with update 3. Maybe the new con-handler is not fully finished and need to be deeply tested...

More over USB2 seems to be more urgent than a new con-handler to basic end user.

Zero Hero, I don't think the next major update will only contain an updated con-handler.
Not finished or tested yet? I don't believe that.

Sure, the next major update will contain a lot more than an updated shell, but how many times must I buy the same OS before I get a usable shell? It's been 3 times already and don't tell me the shell is usable. Try compiling anything that throws a few errors and warnings then see how you solve it.