Any possibility of using a Canon Pixma MP620 multi printer?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
HKvalhe

Any possibility of using a Canon Pixma MP620 multi printer?

Post by HKvalhe »

Hi there. This is probably a dum question but is there any possibility of using a Canon Pixma MP620 multi printer with AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition in any way? I'm a freelance hobby photographer and would like to use my Canon multi printer to copy, fax, print and scan stuffs, mostly scanning old photos and improve then digitally on the Amiga. This is fairly simple and possible on a PC and Mac, even wireless. The problem is that it seems only few HP printers are supported in Amiga to use, and not everybody are using HP printers.

If this can be possible, then i will keep sticking with the Amiga. If this will NEVER be possible on the Amiga, then i am sad to say goodbye and leave the Amiga...for GOOD.

The Amiga is useless if it can't connect to any multi printer as well...
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
Prober
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Any possibility of using a Canon Pixma MP620 multi print

Post by Prober »

Even in the world of PC and Mac provide drivers for the device manufacturers, no operating system vendor. Technically, it is unrealistic for Hyperion to create drivers for all devices. Try to contact the manufacturer (Canon) for AmigaOS4 drivers ;)
Pegasos II, G4 7447 / 1266MHz, 2048MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9250, HDD 2x360GB, ZIP250 USB, USB floppy, HP LaserJet 1100, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 1
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

Prober wrote:Even in the world of PC and Mac provide drivers for the device manufacturers, no operating system vendor. Technically, it is unrealistic for Hyperion to create drivers for all devices. Try to contact the manufacturer (Canon) for AmigaOS4 drivers ;)
Hmm...This is most curious. It has been done before. Hyperion risk loosing more and more Amiga users because of such limitations. A normal user like myself can't contact Canon for AmigaOS4 drivers. Most left the Amiga a long time ago for dead.

Hate to say this, but perhaps we all should just let the Amiga die for real and get back to the real world using computer platforms that the modern world are using today for everything?

Then I have no choice but to leave Amiga for GOOD. This is just not acceptable, even in limitations as a hobby for fun.
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
AmigaOne 500 @ 1.15Ghz Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, AmigaOS 4.1 Final, 2GB DDR2, Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E, ESI@Juli XTe PCIe audio
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

Why does it have to be so black and white with you? Perhaps we can leave things like printing on specific printers to a PC, and still use AmigaOS for other things, which means we don't need to leave it to die. I suspect you already knew that answer already though - this sounds suspiciously like a conversation you had on Facebook a little while ago when you also left the Amiga for good...

In any case, without some sort of colour management system, AmigaOS is less than ideal for photography work, so even if you could use your printer you'd probably still be disappointed.

Personally, while I know the printing system needs a massive overhaul, it's still possible to print to pretty much any printer if you have a PC host to do some PostScript emulation, which is how I use my Epson R800 from my Amiga (awesome printer for photography by the way, sadly discontinued). Of course I don't print photos from the Amiga, just from the PC, but for other stuff it works fine. It's also possible to use a PostScript printer directly from AmigaOS.

If it makes you feel better, I've yet to get one of those multiprinters to fully work with Linux either. Most often it's the scanner that doesn't work, but I've also found that even the exact model driver doesn't use the inks correctly, resulting in terrible printouts. At the end of the day, for using most modern inkjet printers properly you should just stick to their system requirements, i.e. Windows or Mac. Occasionally the manufacturers support Linux, but mostly they don't, so you can't legitimately expect it to work beyond the specs printed on the box.
davebraco
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by davebraco »

HKvalhe :

You can plug an usb key in your printer and share data with your Amiga (scan the document to your key, print the document from the key). That's what i did six years ago with my photo printer, then i realize is was far more cheaper to print them online or by professionals and in a far better quality.

I found a usb2 scanner that works with OS4 ( via Sane) and use a postscript compatible B&W lazer printer. (about the fax... well didn't sent for years as now emails can be use as legal evidence in tribunals)

I thought you already left the amiga world! ;-)
µA1 256mo SATA -> lend to a dev
A1200PPC 256Mo MediatorTX Radeon9250 SATA RTL8029 SOLO-1
Sam440ep 533mhz 512mo 64Go SSD
Sam460ex 1150mhz 2Go RadeonHD 6570LP ENVY24HT
AmigaOne X1000 4Go SSD R9 270X Catweasel MK4
AmigaOne X5000 -> work in progress
xenic

Post by xenic »

@HKvalhe
Do you think we forgot that you already announced you were leaving the Amiga a month ago in the "Off Topic" forum before that forum was eliminated? Now that you've announed your departure but haven't left, we all know better than to believe you. Threats are unlikely to result in any changes.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Clearly this is an impostor.
HKvalhe left the Amiga scene months ago.
Someone must have hacked his unused account here .
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

I'm not trying to pick on a fight, but trying to be realistic. Switching on the Amiga for fun, just to turn it off and realize you have to turn on a PC to use any multi printer is pretty much just stupid and what i would say...insulting.

Is it so hard to understand that a user like myself would want to do such things on the Amiga? Why having to switch off the Amiga and turn on a PC or Mac for that purpose? Why shouldn't the Amiga be able to do that?

Yes, the situation is black and white, simply because it actually IS. I have tried to state this issue from time to time to time to time. Don't you all think it's time to take this seriously and actually start trying to DO something about it? It's NOT about doing a 64 bit AmigaOS. Forget about that! That's not going to happen, as it was stated by Hyperion themselves.

The point is to try to make Amiga lot more useful, even as a 32 bit AmigaOS, which it is, actually. And having support for any multi printer available, even wireless, is a very essential importance for even a hobby platform as the Amiga.

That's why the situation is as black and white as it is. It is either to actually do something about this situation, or simply leave the Amiga completely for DEAD. It can't be clearer than that, and what i say is actually true, and i mean what i say here...

It's up to the developers and the Amiga companies how they want to address the future of the Amiga. Every choice has a consequence. That goes without saying...
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

Spectre660 wrote:Clearly this is an impostor.
HKvalhe left the Amiga scene months ago.
Someone must have hacked his unused account here .
I can tell you i am NOT an imposter. It is actually me. Yes, i HAVE left, but i'm also trying to convince Hyperion and other important Amiga companies that things as full printer support have to be done into AmigaOS. I don't care how or how much it will cost. I only care that it HAS to be done...

But i have left just about every tie to the Amiga, including my own founded AmigaOS group on Facebook. Mainly to make my statement, but also because i'm really pissed about the Amiga situation, as lacking a serious thing as full printer support...
Helge Kvalheim, Norway
HKvalhe

Post by HKvalhe »

xenic wrote:@HKvalhe
Do you think we forgot that you already announced you were leaving the Amiga a month ago in the "Off Topic" forum before that forum was eliminated? Now that you've announed your departure but haven't left, we all know better than to believe you. Threats are unlikely to result in any changes.
I have left, but i am watching things from distance. What you all do is entirely up to you. I made my statement and i am very clear about that. Nothing else, nothing more...
Helge Kvalheim, Norway