Calculator bugged in Extended mode

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Calculator bugged in Extended mode

Post by Hypex »

I posted this on AmigaWorld back in March last year and tonight when I tried to use the Calculator I was reminded of it again so thought I would post the issue here also. It also is an annoying one as no discernible crash is involved nor do all systems produce it.

Here is what I did:
1. Open Calculator Icon.
2. Select Extended mode from menu using mouse.

I then get a flood of CPU power used in my CPU meter and the Calculator becomes unresponsive. I have to reboot as an endless loop drags my system down. I do know from a debug version that it was outputing a menu selection endlessly.

So has this bug been tracked down and fixed? Or given the circumstances does the blame go on my system and some app running in the background? I can't cancel that out yet but it's only the Calculator in this specific sequence I have the problem. :-?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Calculator bugged in Extended mode

Post by nbache »

Hypex wrote: 1. Open Calculator Icon.

I then get a flood of CPU power used in my CPU meter and the Calculator becomes unresponsive. I have to reboot as an endless loop drags my system down. I do know from a debug version that it was outputing a menu selection endlessly.
I just tried it, using Calculator 53.5 from 1-dec-2009 (which I am guessing is the one you are using too?). Nothing like that happened here. Have you made any changes to your tooltypes, or are you using any special theme on your WB or anything? And what about your menu settings, are they set as the default (GUI prefs, menus, menu type depending on cursor position, and none of the checkboxes set)? Where is your mouse when you open the menu, at the top of the WB screen (so you get traditional dropdown menus), or further down (so you get popup menus)?

Best regards,

Niels
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

Hypex wrote:1. Open Calculator Icon.
I do that all the time, and have never had a problem :(
Paul Zager

Post by Paul Zager »

I have never used Calculator. But I just tried it now (update 2), Calc version 53.5, and selecting extended mode did not cause any problem here, either.““
Frankenthousand, the monster A1000
A1-XE G4, 2GB, 9250
X5000/20
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

@nbache

Thanks for replying. Yes I have Calculator 53.5 ( 1/12/2009).

My Calculator tooltypes are set for default behavour. My WB theme is standard. My GUI->Menus->Menu setting is as you say but I do have Sicky panels for Pull-down menus set! I was uisng a traditional menu at the top of the screen.

I will try some different menu things mean while.
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

Hypex wrote:@nbache

Thanks for replying. Yes I have Calculator 53.5 ( 1/12/2009).

My Calculator tooltypes are set for default behavour. My WB theme is standard. My GUI->Menus->Menu setting is as you say but I do have Sicky panels for Pull-down menus set! I was uisng a traditional menu at the top of the screen.

I will try some different menu things mean while.
I got sticky panels and non blocking selected and calculator works fine, no issues selecting advanced mode.
xenic

Post by xenic »

Extended mode works fine here. However, it seems strange that when Calculator is run from a shell it still insists on opening at the pointer position. It would be nice to have a window position (and size) Tooltype/Shell Argument. I think it's been mentioned elsewhere but if the PUBSCREEN option is used, the screen is not brought to the front and leaves the user wondering if the program actually started.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic

Post by xenic »

@Hypex
Does Calculator malfunction if your CPU meter isn't running?
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Rigo »

xenic wrote:I think it's been mentioned elsewhere but if the PUBSCREEN option is used, the screen is not brought to the front and leaves the user wondering if the program actually started.
This issue was fixed in Calculator 53.11.

Simon
xenic

Post by xenic »

Rigo wrote:This issue was fixed in Calculator 53.11.
Thanks for that info. Maybe a window position TOOLTYPE could be added at some point (not a big issue).