SAM 440ep fails to display.

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
bdeneen

SAM 440ep fails to display.

Post by bdeneen »

PROBLEM # 1

My SAM 440ep with 160G hard drive and 512MB RAM intermittently fails to display on my V7 monitor. This has been occurring progressively more frequently. Now it happens about every third time I boot the machine. It also fails to display when I let the monitor go into "sleep" mode from my screen blanker (the "boing ball" blanker is currently active).

When I use my OS4.1 update 1 CD to boot the machine, however, everything displays fine. I choose the "live CD" option from the opening screen, allow it to finish loading, then remove the CD and soft reboot (via the keyboard) to my settings on the hard drive. All functions normally until the monitor goes into "sleep" mode. Then, about 50% of the time, I have to do a hard reset to get the display back, then (see above) the monitor (intermittently) fails to display again.

My guess is that something is intermittently not initializing during the boot process from the hard drive. If it were a monitor problem, then it should be more consistent AFAIK. Swapping out monitors doesn't seem to help.

PROBLEM # 2

I have recently replaced the battery on the main board which has led to messages about the RTG clock being stopped somewhere around the year 2265. (Yes, the above problem # 1 was occurring before any battery replacement was necessary. I don't think they are directly related.)

How does one reset the RTG clock, other than through preferences? I know that on classic machines, the clock utility and the system clock are two different animals. Apparently that applies here as well.

THANKS AGAIN

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide. Up until the last six months, I have run this machine flawlessly since I bought the board and built the machine, very shortly after the board came out. I would like to return to this flawless condition.
Amigaprez
Spectre660

Re: SAM 440ep fails to display.

Post by Spectre660 »

for the screen blanker try deactivating all the screen blanker modules except Flower and Moire.

Clicking SAVE the time prefs should update your real time clock.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
bdeneen

Post by bdeneen »

PROBLEM # 1 - SOLVED

Acquiring the display has been solved for the past several months by simply leaving the machine running at all times. This problem seems to have been more related to my monitor than the computer. Now, even if I turn the display off while leaving the machine running, it reappears faultlessly when I turn the display back on. On the couple of occasions when I have turned the machine off (to take it to user group meetings, etc.), booting up is perfect.

So this problem seems to be solved by keeping the machine running mostly continuously.

PROBLEM # 2 - not solved yet.

Every time I turn the machine off I still have to manually reset the clock via the shell. I could use prefs for a GUI for the same function, but the shell commands work fine. I am still getting the message about the RTG clock being stopped. I am continuing to research this fault and will report when the answer is found.

Thanks for your help and the many views of the post.
Amigaprez
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

bdeneen wrote:Every time I turn the machine off I still have to manually reset the clock via the shell.
[...]
I am still getting the message about the RTG clock being stopped.
Did you try "SetClock RESET" yet?

Best regards,

Niels
ZeroG

Post by ZeroG »

You could try the date command in U-Boot:
date MMDDhhmmCCYY
will set the date to day "DD" of month "MM" in year "CCYY" with a time of "hh" hours and "mm" minutes.
Example: date 100612252004 to set the date to 06th Oct 2004 at 12:25