Problem installing Lubuntu 14.10

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Srtest

Re: Problem installing Lubuntu 14.10

Post by Srtest »

Much appreciated nexus!

I am more interested in the procedure you used manually. The last comment here by me is indeed about sound issues but if you look in this forum section you'll see that regarding sound most stuff is usually resolved pretty quicklly not like graphics so the same goes here - I quicklly enable the sound. What I did is tried to pass over Alsa whereever it is possible using the Pulse audio system and with the advice here got the sound working again through enabling sound or audio or whatever in the USER privligies setup, and then in the Pulse audio utility I swaped the analouge stereo output (last tab in that utility) with a setting that sometimes appeared as digital setero output and sometimes SPDIF digital output (typical unusual 'nix behaviour), and then finally made sure, according to another advice gotten here, that the sound isn't muted on that very same utility. The sound on Lubuntu and such in the X1000 can output ac3 and dts according to the hardware capabilities which are not being used by me on AOS at the moment.

What our setup have in common is that we both installed with the 3.18 kernel that proved to me the most stable and performance inducing kernel - without losing quality. The difference is that I use an HD5870 and you use an older card that works better on AOS. maybe you should try the xorg.conf fix of older installations (http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =10#p30595).

Maybe Xeno my man will host your fix on his site...
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nexus »

Srtest wrote: I am more interested in the procedure you used manually.
Here is a nice webpage explaining how to unpack and repack a ramdisk image:

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/07/how ... nitrd-img/

I replaced the 2 scripts in the 'bin' directroy: 'hw-detect' and 'list-devices'

(and added kernel modus from vmlinux-14.10 archive to lib/modules/ -- but I think, this is not necessary)
The last comment here by me is indeed about sound issues but if you look in this forum section you'll see that regarding sound most stuff is usually resolved pretty quicklly not like graphics so the same goes here - I quicklly enable the sound. What I did is tried to pass over Alsa whereever it is possible using the Pulse audio
"pass over" means you uninstalled Alsa?
What exactly has to be done to use Pulse audio?
system and with the advice here got the sound working again through enabling sound or audio or whatever in the USER privligies setup,
I don't exactly understand what that means. In your case, the user had no privileges to access/use the audio device? Ok, I will check that.
and then in the Pulse audio utility I swaped the analouge stereo output (last tab in that utility) with a setting that sometimes appeared as digital setero output and sometimes SPDIF digital output (typical unusual 'nix behaviour),
Okay, I saw some kind of audio tool named something with "Pulse Audio". However, the last tab, for configuring the device was empty because no audio device seemed to have been recognized.

I wonder if I have to load some specific module to activate pulse audio?
and then finally made sure, according to another advice gotten here, that the sound isn't muted on that very same utility. The sound on Lubuntu and such in the X1000 can output ac3 and dts according to the hardware capabilities which are not being used by me on AOS at the moment.
I think, I need to spent more time in investigating the details here. Anyway, thanks for your help, I will try and see if I can find the problem with the Information I got from you (-- after work, later this evening) :) )
What our setup have in common is that we both installed with the 3.18 kernel that proved to me the most stable and performance inducing kernel - without losing quality.
For installing the system, you just need a kernel that enables the basic hardware initialization like network and harddisks, etc. I do not think that it makes any difference for installation if one uses the 3.18 or 3.13.2.

I have chosen 3.18. just because it was the latest stable one available and hence, I wanted to use that one after installation as well. So, one less kernel to be stored on my CompactFlash card ;)

(Oh, yes, I did the installation via CF-card not via USB -- just in case, this makes a difference.)
The difference is that I use an HD5870 and you use an older card that works better on AOS. maybe you should try the xorg.conf fix of older installations (http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =10#p30595).

Maybe Xeno my man will host your fix on his site...
Thanks again. Yes, I think using 2 GFX cards causes some configuration problems in xorg.conf. As long as the display drivers are available within the linux kernel or as kernel modules, I am sure, I will be able to resolve my X problems. It is just such an annoying time consuming task, when u have to configure xorg.conf by hand :)

I will try the xorg.conf mentioned by you!

cheers,
nexus
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

nexus wrote:Indeed the scripts for detecting the hardware have been slightly different in
intrd.gz between ubuntu 13.3.2 and 14.10.

So, I exchanged those scripts in 14.10 by those in 13.3.2 and rebuild the ramdisk image by hand again. In addition I included the kernel modules of vmlinux-3.18
(just in case, some have to be loaded by hand during installation) and finally, I could install ubuntu 14.10 with vmlinux-3.18 and that modified ramdisk image initrd.gz.
F a n t a s t i c !!!!!! Well done!
nexus wrote: Feel free to test the attached initrd.gz file and try to install ubuuntu 14.10 yourself!

Let me know how u get sound out of your Nemo board! :D

Cheers,
nexus

P.S. I could not attach the initrd-file. Maybe 18 MB are too large?
If u are interested in testing the installation write a PM to me.
I can email you the ramdisk image then.
I'd like to host it. I sent you a PM. :-)
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

Maybe you two can cook up some patch that suits whatever initrd.gz file they load up (which has those weird lines nexus talked about) because my investigation led to the difference being between the last 13.10 and the first 14.04 and every initrd from there.

By pass over I mean the Jewish holiday.
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nexus »

xeno74 wrote:
nexus wrote:Indeed the scripts for detecting the hardware have been slightly different in
intrd.gz between ubuntu 13.3.2 and 14.10.

So, I exchanged those scripts in 14.10 by those in 13.3.2 and rebuild the ramdisk image by hand again. In addition I included the kernel modules of vmlinux-3.18
(just in case, some have to be loaded by hand during installation) and finally, I could install ubuntu 14.10 with vmlinux-3.18 and that modified ramdisk image initrd.gz.
F a n t a s t i c !!!!!! Well done!
I just copied two little scripts from one image to anther and it still has to be proven that initrd.gz works for other X1000 users, too! :)

I'd like to host it. I sent you a PM. :-)
Unfortunately, 18MB seems to be too much for sending by Email. Do you have an ftp server or something like that?

Cheers,
nexus
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nexus »

Indeed,the audio-problems could be resolved by adding the user to the goups "audio" (-- and "video").
(I additionally copied the vmlinux-3.18 kernel modules (which are included in the archive) to /lib/modules/)

There was a reboot necessary (do not know why!?) -- but then "pulseaudio" was working and I could switch with the corresponding tool between analog output and digital output (though, not to both at the same time like on AmigaOS4).
Sound via HDMI does also work, too.

Application that uses sound and either crash immediately or display an error message or simply do nothing when trying to run are:

* mplayer (crashes)
* gmplayer_something (does nothing, but it uses mplayer -- so no wonder)
* gmusicbrowser (reports some error message)
* and something else, I cannot remember :)

On the otherhand e.g. "vlc" or "mpg123" (and other already installed sound tools) work fine with movies or mp3 files, respective.

In /var/log/syslog, there are several error messages about my used Realtek ethernet card (eth1 - but nevertheless it is working) and also about some audio related stuff. Also, error messages about X, I think (maybe missing fonts?) I have seen, but I did not try to configure X probably but used the X.org file mentioned here in this thread (which works after a reboot).

So, ubuntu 14.10 is not completely without problems -- however the errors does not seem to be annoying.

Since, I only user linux for work, it is working fine for me :)
If OpenGL/Mesa stuff is working. I do not know -- nothing, I really need.

cheers,
nexus
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nexus »

@xeno74

I have sent you a PM with a link to the modified initrd.gz file.
Feel free to download it and host it on the X1000 linux site :)

I hope it works -- no warranties, but it worked for me and my X1000 :)

cheers,
nexus
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

nexus wrote:@xeno74

cheers,
nexus
Thank you very much indeed! Vielen vielen Dank! :-) I uploaded it today.

Download (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 14.10 install initial RAM disk by Nexus: initrd-14.10-modified.gz (I suggest to download the install initial RAM disk with a right click on the link and then with the menu point "Save target as" or something like this.)

Copy it to your CF card and boot it with the following commands:

Code: Select all

CFE> ramdisk -z -addr=0x24000000 -fatfs cf0:initrd-14.10-modified.gz

Code: Select all

CFE> boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-3.18
You can also boot it from your USB stick.
Ubuntu_Unicorn-A1-X1000.jpg

xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

nexus wrote:@xeno74

cheers,
nexus
Hi Nexus,

Trevor told me he has problems with the modified initrd.gz file.

Quote Trevor:
I tried to use run the initrd-14.10-modified.gz from both usbdisk and cf card by the file is not recognised. I tried it on two AmigaONE X1000.

What is the size of the file?

I will test the new RC6 tomorrow.

Thanks

Trevor
Could you help him, please?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Christian

Srtest

Post by Srtest »

Weird, nexus's ram image gives a size signature different than it actually is. When you try to download it says one size and then downloads to another size on the hd.