Sam460Ex AOS Display/Boot Problem

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
AndyGarton

Re: Sam460Ex AOS Display/Boot Problem

Post by AndyGarton »

Possibly yes. I just installed a CPU fan (which sounds like a tornado so isn't a practical option for me as I like quiet systems), and it's run solidly now for 20 minutes, so it's definitely an overheating issue.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

I had an overheating problem due to the DMA added in update 3 or so with a Sam440ep-flex.
Solved by a case fan blowing air over the cpu. But I thought that it was a hard drive issue and tried about 5 before I narrowed it down. The original OS 4.1 update 1 CD would boot ok because it did not have the DMA enabled like the later update had .
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

I've ordered a "super quiet" CPU fan and will see how that goes. It's certainly odd that mine seems to need so much active cooling though (I have emailed ACube to query this).

Anyway, to prove it exists and runs now:

(I hope I got the boing ball the right way round this time!)
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Nice.
I see that they have also removed some components from the new batch of Sam460ex boards as well .
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Which components?
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

The UMTS/GSM components on the right side .
http://www.ppa.pl/artykuly/pics/sekcje/ ... 60ex/6.jpg
AndyGarton wrote:Which components?
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Thanks. I actually didn't realize there was a new revision, just the last of the old batch (with the "CR" version taking over). Perhaps this explains the new cooling requirements? I'd be disappointed if so, as the "totally silent" option was a big part of why I went for the Sam.
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

@AndyGarton

I'm glad that you finally got everything working, and discovered that overheating was causing instability.
AndyGarton wrote:I've ordered a "super quiet" CPU fan and will see how that goes. It's certainly odd that mine seems to need so much active cooling though (I have emailed ACube to query this).
Do you live in a hot climate? I've never had to add a cooler to the CPU in my Sam460, but I live in a temperate zone (i.e., 25 degrees celsius is "hot").

Spectre660 wrote:The UMTS/GSM components on the right side .
http://www.ppa.pl/artykuly/pics/sekcje/ ... 60ex/6.jpg
That makes sense, as it's highly unlikely that those components will get any use any time soon. It's a pity, though, as having a small motherboard that can use 3G+ internet with a sim card would have been nice. However, quite a lot of work would have to be done to support it.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Far from a hot climate (UK), plus I'm using two case fans, so it really doesn't add up for me. No comment from ACube yet on whether this is to be expected with the latest boards.
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

I've fitted a higher quality (and quieter) CPU fan now and it's nice and quiet, and has been stable for an hour or so. I worry slightly how it will be in the height of summer, but I can certainly live with it now, if I'm still a little disappointed that it can't run passively cool only as advertised (and stated in the manual).