Sam460Ex AOS Display/Boot Problem

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Spectre660

Re: Sam460Ex AOS Display/Boot Problem

Post by Spectre660 »

In a workbench cli shell type the following then the enter key

nvsetvar video_activate=pci

AndyGarton wrote:
Other problem now is that nothing prior to AOS appears on my monitor as I'd previously set UBOOT to use the onboard graphics. Is there a way I can switch that with a key combo by any chance? Reason is only that I've put my old VGA monitor back in the loft already!
Last edited by Spectre660 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

I'm aware of the menu way of doing it - hard to do with a blank screen though :)

EDIT - perfect thanks, will do that. If/when I can, it hung starting up AmiStore and now won't boot at all (black screen).
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

So, managed to get the BIOS output back to my DVI display, through the HD5450 card again. I renamed screenmode.prefs in ENVARC:Sys to screenmode.x. On rebooting it hangs in IPrefs. I boot again and see that it is still called screenmode.x and has been copied (as screenmode.x) to ENV:Sys (or perhaps that was left over from before?).

You can tell I'm a bit confused :) How can I "clean" the display driver setup out, without using the AOS install CD?
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

It would seem that Iprefs needs a file called screenmode.prefs or it will hang.

You could try this one .
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/542 ... mode.prefs
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Thanks, I can't think of a way to get that on my system though, bearing in mind I can't get to WB, only the shell.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

I am a bit rusty but try the loadwb command.
AndyGarton wrote:Thanks, I can't think of a way to get that on my system though, bearing in mind I can't get to WB, only the shell.
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

I'm giving up for now guys and starting fresh when I have the FE CD in hand. I can't help worrying that there is a hardware problem here but I'll just have to wait to find out for sure. Thanks very much for your help.

(LoadWB half works but not surprisingly very little works, including networking, because the startup sequence was skipped.)
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

I think it might be a heat problem. More times than can be coincidence now I've left the machine off for a while and it's booted up fine when I turn it on. It hangs in WB after a couple of minutes though and after that point always hangs in IPrefs on boot, unless I leave it off for a while. Strange, but apparently true. The room where the Sam is isn't warm and I have two case fans blowing air over the processor and graphics card, so it shouldn't be getting unreasonably hot imo.
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Pretty much proved this now. Through being very patient (i.e. enduring hangs/reboots/waiting for it to cool cycles) I managed to install the 1.2 Radeon driver, and now have the correct full 2560x1440 resolution, which is nice. However, after a couple of minutes Workbench will either freeze solid, or just do nothing when I double click icons. Rebooting will lock in IPrefs. Turning off and on again straight away will also lock in IPrefs. Leaving the machine off for a few minutes and then turning on again will boot up fine (for a couple of minutes before it hangs and the sequence begins again).

Any ideas beyond sending the board back to ACube please? The Sam460Ex is supposed to be able to run fully passively, so my two case fans exceed the minimum cooling requirement.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

As your actual installed OS version is a question mark it is difficult to say what to do.
If you wait for OS 4.1 Final Edition and a clean install gives the same problems and no one else
who does a clean install of Final Edition on a Sam460 has the same problem then that would be the time to send it back.