Ubuntu LTS doesn't like its root directory

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Ubuntu LTS doesn't like its root directory

Post by kilaueabart »

I decided to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Too long since I've ussed Linux. I went two upgrades past Debain Woody, but just followed directions for installation without any deep understanding of what was going on.

I knew I needed to download Kernel 3.10.15, but decided I would play with the installation a bit first, fully expecting to be stopped along the way: "Can't find Kernal! Cancel install?" or the like. But to my suprise, I got through the whole process without any need for the Kernel.

So I ended up back here in AmigaOne X1000 - Linux Only where I saw that some more advanced Kernels were said to work with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and ended up copying vmlinux-3.12 (and kernel_3.12.0.config and nemo_3.12.0.patch for good measure) to an SDHC card. I tried to launch Ubuntu with the Install-Guide instructions, changing instances of "3.10.15" to "3.12."

I got a couple of penguins on my last try. But "panic" ensued:

NEMO SB600 base c0000000 [I'm not sure of the "c" which is blurry in my printout]
no UART detected at 0x1
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,24) [or is it "VPS" instead of "VFS"?]
CPU: 0 PID: 1 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 3.12.0AmigaOneX1000 #1
Call Trace:
[9 lines which I will type up if important; the first ends "show_stack+0x60/0x150 (unreliable)"]
drm_lms_helper: panic occurred, switching back to text console
Rebooting in 180 seconds.._ [But it never does.]

For the root file I found a large unformatted section on a disk I had moved over to the X1000 from my SAM460ex, mainly to make it easy to transfer the old data I wanted to save. It was about 700 Gb where 12 GB would suffice, but I used a few gigabytes for the Swap. The root directory came out as /dev/sdb8, and that is what I told CFE>.

OS4's Media Toolbox finds these new partitions as the second and third of the following:

DH9 182.910 GBytes SFS\02
dhx 659.437 GBytes \00\00\00\00
dhx 49.618 GBytes SWP\00
SWAP 2.059 GBytes SWAP

One of the messages I got in one of my ealier attemtpts was something on the order of "no bootable partition found in /dev/sda, apparently ignoring my specification of /dev/sdb8.

I'm not sure what the warning against more than one Ethernet port means. What is an Ethernet port?

And even loading the DVD version, I get, twice, "Loading: Error: DRQ should be zero."

Advice?
Aloha,
Bart
lucaricossa

Re: Ubuntu LTS doesn't like its root directory

Post by lucaricossa »

I posted elsewhere that I had similar problems with my installation. In my last post I told how I solved them. May be it can help you too...
You should adapt the command lines to you kernel name and devices name. I didn't try the latest kernel

==============================================================

I solved my problem reverting to the kernel 3.10.15. Here the steps.

Removed the CF card and inserted into an USB card-reader (else the Amiga side can't see it). Copied onto it the 3.10.15 kernel.
Then put back the CF in its socket on the motherboard.

Cold reboot. Key 'f' to stop the menu. When in the CFE propmt, I insert the USB external drive.
commands :

CFE> setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sdc1 quiet ro splash rootdelay=10"
CFE> boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-3.10.15

This way I can boot into my Ubuntu installation. I don't know why the latest kernel didn't work...

Then, I have done a new menu entry for CFE, but I have to go through the 'f' step before inserting the USB drive. Then I type only 'menu' and from the menu I can select my ubuntu boot.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

lucaricossa wrote:...
I solved my problem reverting to the kernel 3.10.15. Here the steps.

Removed the CF card and inserted into an USB card-reader (else the Amiga side can't see it). Copied onto it the 3.10.15 kernel.
Then put back the CF in its socket on the motherboard.

Cold reboot. Key 'f' to stop the menu. When in the CFE propmt, I insert the USB external drive.
commands :

Then, I have done a new menu entry for CFE, but I have to go through the 'f' step before inserting the USB drive. Then I type only 'menu' and from the menu I can select my ubuntu boot.
I don't understand all of this (I'm not very smart), but it gives me good hints. Thank you.

I'll have to find out what a CF card is. I saw it mentioned in the Install directions, but I thought it was that OR a USB drive, and I went for the latter (SD card in a USB card reader). But I see that you use both, although your commands seem to address only the former ("boot ... cf0:vmlinux-3.10.15"). What does the USB drive do?
Aloha,
Bart
lucaricossa

Post by lucaricossa »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash

After you have copied the kernel in it (for that you will need some card-reader), install the card inside your x1000 (there is a slot on the mother-board for that)

Normally, you don't have to format it. If it doesn't work, verify it is formatted as FAT and not as FAT32
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

kilaueabart wrote:I decided to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Too long since I've ussed Linux. I went two upgrades past Debain Woody, but just followed directions for installation without any deep understanding of what was going on.

I knew I needed to download Kernel 3.10.15, but decided I would play with the installation a bit first, fully expecting to be stopped along the way: "Can't find Kernal! Cancel install?" or the like. But to my suprise, I got through the whole process without any need for the Kernel.

So I ended up back here in AmigaOne X1000 - Linux Only where I saw that some more advanced Kernels were said to work with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and ended up copying vmlinux-3.12 (and kernel_3.12.0.config and nemo_3.12.0.patch for good measure) to an SDHC card. I tried to launch Ubuntu with the Install-Guide instructions, changing instances of "3.10.15" to "3.12."

NEMO SB600 base c0000000 [I'm not sure of the "c" which is blurry in my printout]
no UART detected at 0x1
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,24) [or is it "VPS" instead of "VFS"?]
CPU: 0 PID: 1 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 3.12.0AmigaOneX1000 #1
Call Trace:
[9 lines which I will type up if important; the first ends "show_stack+0x60/0x150 (unreliable)"]
drm_lms_helper: panic occurred, switching back to text console
Rebooting in 180 seconds.._ [But it never does.]
'Unable to mount root fs' means that the 'root=/dev/sdb8' part of your bootargs doesn't point to a linux root file system.

You need to tell Linux which partition to use in a way it will understand, here is how Linux generates the names, and it is important to note these are created at boot time EACH TIME you boot, so can and will change if you add or remove disks from the system.

the name is sd + drive letter + partition number.

The drive letter starts with a for the first disk found, then b for the second, etc

The partitions start with number 1for the one closest to the start of the disk and increase by 1 for each additional partition.
For the root file I found a large unformatted section on a disk I had moved over to the X1000 from my SAM460ex, mainly to make it easy to transfer the old data I wanted to save. It was about 700 Gb where 12 GB would suffice, but I used a few gigabytes for the Swap. The root directory came out as /dev/sdb8, and that is what I told CFE>.

OS4's Media Toolbox finds these new partitions as the second and third of the following:

dhx 49.618 GBytes SWP\00
SWAP 2.059 GBytes SWAP
You've said that the root you've listed here is sdb8, as explained above this would be the 8th partition on this disk, If the above list is complete you should be using sdb2
I'm not sure what the warning against more than one Ethernet port means. What is an Ethernet port?
The network port, you'll have 2 one on the motherboard itself and a PCI card (in one of the slots) If you have networking working for AOS4 don't worry, just leave well alone.
And even loading the DVD version, I get, twice, "Loading: Error: DRQ should be zero."

Advice?
This are errors from your optical drive and are quite normal, the drive will retry. If the DVD loaded OK forget about them.

Hopefully some of this will help.

Regards
Darren
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

lucaricossa wrote:

This way I can boot into my Ubuntu installation. I don't know why the latest kernel didn't work...

What happens if you leave the USB drive attached and select the CFE menu item for Ubuntu without using 'f' to drop to a command line? I would have expected that to work, as you are loading the kernel from a CF card.

Regards
Darren
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

daz wrote:
kilaueabart wrote:...

'Unable to mount root fs' means that the 'root=/dev/sdb8' part of your bootargs doesn't point to a linux root file system.
That was my guess. But until I read your post, I couldn't understand why it doesn't.
You need to tell Linux which partition to use in a way it will understand, here is how Linux generates the names, and it is important to note these are created at boot time EACH TIME you boot, so can and will change if you add or remove disks from the system.

the name is sd + drive letter + partition number.

The drive letter starts with a for the first disk found, then b for the second, etc

The partitions start with number 1for the one closest to the start of the disk and increase by 1 for each additional partition.
I pretty much knew that. But the main thing I went by was the installation instruction to carefully note the name of the partition when it told me, and I saw and jotted down "/dev/sdb8." But it turns out that that is where I went wrong!
... The root directory came out as /dev/sdb8, and that is what I told CFE>.

dhx 49.618 GBytes SWP\00
SWAP 2.059 GBytes SWAP
You've said that the root you've listed here is sdb8, as explained above this would be the 8th partition on this disk, If the above list is complete you should be using sdb2
The drive starts with DH4. That makes the root file partition sdb7, not sdb8. I must have copied what the install program said about the SWAP partition!

I rewrote MENU_2_COMMAND, went to menu and clicked (I bet I don't need to click) on the third line, and here I am gratefully responding to your post in HD-based Ubuntu!
Aloha,
Bart
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

I personally thought that a stable install with the CF card would be easier and once that was working experimenting with USB devices would go easier.
lucaricossa

Post by lucaricossa »

daz wrote:
lucaricossa wrote:

What happens if you leave the USB drive attached and select the CFE menu item for Ubuntu without using 'f' to drop to a command line? I would have expected that to work, as you are loading the kernel from a CF card.

Regards
Darren
I have to insert the usb drive from inside CFE, else it is not loaded and recognised
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

lucaricossa wrote:I have to insert the usb drive from inside CFE, else it is not loaded and recognised
In most situations the USB drive should be inserted after you enter CFE otherwise it will not be recognised. That is why booting from a CF card is recommended.

If your Linux root directory is on an external USB drive again it must be inserted after you enter CFE. (There are exceptions)

For more background information please refer to the main Linux installation Manual available for registered users in the secure download area on the A-EON website.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'