Booting into WB with sii3114 with UBOOT 1.1.4 on micro

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
amigaonefan

Booting into WB with sii3114 with UBOOT 1.1.4 on micro

Post by amigaonefan »

Posted this on AmigaWolrd but thought I might get additional help here...

I bought a new sii3114 SATA controller card and plugged it into my miro A1.
Uboot 1.1.4 does allow me to boot from my SATA card into Linux! I verified that today. With boot1 set to s4sii and the sii3114ide_xfer GGGG and sii3114ide_maxbus 2, and only a SATA drive connected to a 3114 card, I can boot into Debian.
Problem. When I go to boot into OS4.1, it gets to the OS4.1 display screen (the boing ball) and then immediately switches to the purple (old style) insert floppy disk screen. (I tried changing sii3114ide_maxbus to 1, and sii3114ide_xfer to G000, and sii3114ide_conf to 1000....no difference).
I have not been able to boot into OS4.1 with the 3114 controller.
When I have this SATA drive connected and boot instead from a drive connected to the internal IDE bus of the micro A1, UBOOT shows my SATA drive info, boots into OS4.1...but none of the SATA drive partitions appear on workbench until I run Mounter with device=sii3114ide.device and unit = 0. It looks a lot like the SATA drive is not mounting.
Note - I am using on my SATA bus an IDE drive which is connected with an IDE-> SATA converter....and that same hard drive boots just fine when plugged into the internal IDE bus of the micro A1. Looking at the drive when it is connected as a SATA drive shows my partitions are automount, my OS4.1 partition is bootable and priority set to 3.

What have I missed?

Thanks,
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Booting into WB with sii3114 with UBOOT 1.1.4 on micro

Post by Hypex »

C'mon OS4 support team. Vollume seen by UBoot but not seen by AmigaDOS. But can be mounted by Mounter. Automount set. Looks like it only happens on SATA. So what is it?

What's missing here? :-?
Evillord68
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Evillord68 »

Do you have tried Uboot 1.1.1?
ZeroG

Post by ZeroG »

Evillord68 wrote:Do you have tried Uboot 1.1.1?
U-Boot 1.1.1 can't boot from sii3114.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

If you can boot Debian, you should be able to boot OS4. You mentioned sii3114ide_conf and that seemed correct, but has the HD had slb_v2 added to it ?

If not, the easiest way is to boot the CD and run MTB from that to add SLB to your sii3114 HD.
cheers
tony
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

AFAIK Debian has been tested as working on the drive. And yes the SLB was installed as well to no avail.

It is strange. The volume mounts in Mounter but will not automount. Never heard of anything like it! :-)
amigaonefan

Post by amigaonefan »

Okay, I figured out the problem..or at least, the general realm of the problem.
I discovered that I could boot into and have mount the same partition on my SATA drive that failed if I copied onto it a "vanilla" OS4.1 update 1 partition. apparently, something subtle or obscure in my OS4.1 update 6 system partition would somehow unmount the partition before it was able to go into workbench, but only when using SATA. It worked okay with both internal IDE and a sii0680 PATA controller card. Very starnge.
I since have updated the system partition from Os4.1 update 1 to OS4.1 update 6 with all online updates as well, and it still boots as a SATA drive on my 3114 controller just fine with UBOOT 1.1.4. So, my SLB was fine, my SATA drive was fine, my cable and connections were fine, my uboot variables were fine....but the software on my system partition with all of its myriad of third party hacks, addons and programs, caused a problem.
Os4.1 as-is works great with the 3114 controller and SATA drive.

I am slowly and carefully reinstalling software onto my system partition on the SATA drive, and perhaps I will discover the culprit....if I do, I will let you all know. Please understand, my Os4.1 update 6 system partition has been developed over many years of kludging and is a hybrid of 68k and PPC programs jumbled into one big AmigaOS system partition. Its just funny that something would stop SATA from working (or mounting) but work okay with any PATA drive I used.

So...problem solved. Thank you all!
xenic

Post by xenic »

Hypex wrote:AFAIK Debian has been tested as working on the drive. And yes the SLB was installed as well to no avail.
It is strange. The volume mounts in Mounter but will not automount. Never heard of anything like it! :-)
Maybe it's not an OS4 problem, but a hardware design issue with the IDE->SATA converter. The only way to know for sure is to try a SATA drive with his 3114 card.

If nobody can provide a solution, he can at least use the drive by saving DosDrivers for each partition from MTB and have the partitions mounted in his Startup-Sequence.

EDIT: Never mind this post. Apparently, amigaonefan posted while I was editing my post and has solved the problem.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

amigaonefan wrote: I am slowly and carefully reinstalling software onto my system partition on the SATA drive, and perhaps I will discover the culprit....
Most likely something in the Kickstart directory. Perhaps you removed the SATA driver from the Kicklayout file.
voxel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by voxel »

Hello ^^)

got the problem when doing a fresh install on my µAOne.

after installing a brand new uboot (1.1.4 and 1.2.0) I can partition my 1 TB sata disk and install AmigaOS4.1 but when I rebooted it refused to boot on the fresh wb part !

after struggling for a while with the uboot without successfull boot :-( I've had a thought "and if the beast doesn't want to boot on an FFS DOS7 partition ?" (should have forgotten that after some (a lot) of time since the happening of AmigaONEs) and I've just see the little message of that uboot ""sfs and linux boot code by..." ;-)

so I've changed the dos type to "sfs2" reinstall and reboot : same error ! arg !
so tryied "sfs0", reinstall and .... BOOT !!! oh joy ^^)

so try this ^^)
Image Amigalement,
Jean-François "voxel" Bachelet, Amiga NUTS since 1985.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to Happy Computing : Amiga! (© 2K4-2k99 voxel)