x1000 CFE small beginners problems

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
djnykk

x1000 CFE small beginners problems

Post by djnykk »

Hi guys,

I have just received x1000 from Vox and we have swapped registered numbers of AmigaOS @ Hyp main website, but I have no posting rights in x1000 section [!?] so I am posting here.

Problem is:

- We have exchanged the hardware DVD inside X1000. It is properly connected. But it seems that CFE has given it different ID [example atapi 0.1].

I would need a little help to read from CFE - what is the new DVD no and to change Menu Options 1: AmigaOS Install CD Boot and 3: Linux Install CDBoot. They return that they can't load IDE 0.0:amigaboot.of (Error: -18) for AmigaOS and Linux CDBoot [command status = -6].

Please help me as soon as possible as I need to reinstall AmigaOS and Linux... I can`t wait to try OS4 and Linux on X1000.

Thank you and all best.
Nykk
zappa2009

Re: x1000 CFE small beginners problems

Post by zappa2009 »

For AmigaOS-CDboot use this Command as Menu 1

Printenv -> Too See all CFE-Variables Write it on a NodePad or so as Backup

setenv -p MENU_1_LABEL "AmigaOS-CD-Boot"
setenv -p MENU_1_COMMAND "setenv amigaboot_quiet=Y ; boot -fs=iso atapi0.0:amigaboot.of"

This can You use it also with a CF-Card because if the CF-Card is going bad use the amigaboot.of from CD

atapi0.0 is the DVD Drive connected to Sata0
ide0.1 is the Sata-HDD connected to Sata2

But its better to use a FAT32 formatted CF-Card with amigaboot.of and a X1000-Linux-Kernel on it.

In that case typein CFE this:

printenv

dir -fs=fat cf0: to see if the Files are really on it.

setenv -p MENU_0_LABEL "AmigaOS-Boot"
setenv -p MENU_0_COMMAND "setenv amigaboot_quiet=N ; boot -fs=fat cf0:amigaboot.of"

Other CFE-Bootcommands are in the AmigaOne-X1000-Guide
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
djnykk

Post by djnykk »

zappa2009 wrote:For AmigaOS-CDboot use this Command as Menu 1

Printenv -> Too See all CFE-Variables Write it on a NodePad or so as Backup

setenv -p MENU_1_LABEL "AmigaOS-CD-Boot"
setenv -p MENU_1_COMMAND "setenv amigaboot_quiet=Y ; boot -fs=iso atapi0.0:amigaboot.of"

This can You use it also with a CF-Card because if the CF-Card is going bad use the amigaboot.of from CD

atapi0.0 is the DVD Drive connected to Sata0
ide0.1 is the Sata-HDD connected to Sata2

But its better to use a FAT32 formatted CF-Card with amigaboot.of and a X1000-Linux-Kernel on it.

In that case typein CFE this:

printenv

dir -fs=fat cf0: to see if the Files are really on it.

setenv -p MENU_0_LABEL "AmigaOS-Boot"
setenv -p MENU_0_COMMAND "setenv amigaboot_quiet=N ; boot -fs=fat cf0:amigaboot.of"

Other CFE-Bootcommands are in the AmigaOne-X1000-Guide
thank you very much. However, it seems that CFE doesnt see the DVD.

In fact it returns Loading failed. Could not load atapi0.0:amigaboot.of: File not found
**** command status=-18

It refuses to load amigaboot.of from ide0.0 - show devices sais its
ide0.0 PCI IDE disk unit 0 at I/0 0000 (PCI: E0590000)

Booting from CF0: works initially, but shows a single red line and then returns program exit status=0 and system restarts on its own after few seconds

Sadly CFE doesnt seem to have any list, dir, cd, make etc.

Any help ideas? Should I call the h/w boys and check the cables.

Best of all is that Ubuntu 12.04 LTS X1000 boots normally and sees DVD.
If it helps. Kernel is loaded from cf0: as suggested
mlehto

Post by mlehto »

Don't know, if this is a same case, but not every of my DVD drives are cabable to boot with AmigaOS media.

And it is only boot from dvd, once system is up and running, dvd works fine.

What ever reason. May be, that nonworking model is not compatible in some level.

Edited: Better swap dvd drives again ?
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

From "X1000_CFE.pdf" page 4, which will be found in System:Documentation/ once you get OS4 installed:
"This configuration presumes your X1000 has the standard drive configuration (hard drive on SATA port 0 and optical drive on SATA port 2), and has the "amigaboot.of" bootloader installed on the first hard drive partition (FFS2 formatted)."

It then goes on to page 5 with menu setup stuff.. but the point I am making is to know where the drives were connected originally, and to point out that the first partition of drive zero is expected to be FFS2 formatted and to contain amigaboot.of.

Now later you can change things if you'd like, but I suggest starting with the same setup we all started with.

Good Luck!
LyleHaze
djnykk

Post by djnykk »

LyleHaze wrote:From "X1000_CFE.pdf" page 4, which will be found in System:Documentation/ once you get OS4 installed:
"This configuration presumes your X1000 has the standard drive configuration (hard drive on SATA port 0 and optical drive on SATA port 2), and has the "amigaboot.of" bootloader installed on the first hard drive partition (FFS2 formatted)."

It then goes on to page 5 with menu setup stuff.. but the point I am making is to know where the drives were connected originally, and to point out that the first partition of drive zero is expected to be FFS2 formatted and to contain amigaboot.of.

Now later you can change things if you'd like, but I suggest starting with the same setup we all started with.

Good Luck!
LyleHaze
Thank you guys.

We have read installation manual [X1000 Quickstart guide] and found that HD and CDs needs to be connected to certain places on board! Finally installation of OS4 started and now it is done :)

Currently it is booting via CF Card, I suppose we will fix CF menu soon. Thank you very much for your help!
ggw

Post by ggw »

LyleHaze wrote:From "X1000_CFE.pdf" page 4, which will be found in System:Documentation/ once you get OS4 installed:

Good Luck!
LyleHaze
Again. Yo' da' man!
George Wyche