DEVS:Mountlist-SOLVED

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Nagasakee

DEVS:Mountlist-SOLVED

Post by Nagasakee »

Looks like I have lost the file or deleted it for my X1000. I was attempting to fix an AmiDock issue where I could not longer edit the dock and self-caused further issues. Could someone please post the standard X1000 DEVS: Mountlist file please in text?
Last edited by Nagasakee on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pocasset, Massachusetts USA
Raziel

Re: DEVS:Mountlist

Post by Raziel »

I don't have such a file in my installation
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Perhaps you could explain the problem further?
Nagasakee

Post by Nagasakee »

thanks, here are some better details of the issue.

I was attempting to edit AmiDock. After my last install of Jack the docks had two version of Jack and I wished to remove the old one. Every time I would right click to edit the dock the guru med. would appear. I'm on update 6 btw and AmiUpdate indicates I have everything, no updates needed.

I attempted to rollback Jack but after trying I got a message that the Amiga could not read DEVS: Mountlist, that the file did not exist. The X1000 locked up hard.

After restarting I could not get the Amiga to boot...it went through the red line on first splash screen but never got to the second with Amiga OS 4.1.

I put my Recovery Disk in and I can boot to the desktop. Unfortunately my Recovery Disk on update 6 is apparently bad, I had to use the Recovery Disk on update 5. When I get there I get a variety of error messages that DH0: is write protected, AmigaOS error 189 that the DELETE process cannot run. I again get DEVS: mountlist cannot be found.

I have Update 6 on my Work drive (DH1:) and figured I'd just re-update and be good since ALL of my data is on a DH2: partition and all apps on DH1: . But since Dh0: is write protected according to the Update 6 install I cnanot run it. BTW in a shell using info the DH0: drive shows as read-write and ready, and not protected.

The DEVS: mountlist may be from the old days, but since I got the message twice it seemed a fruitful trail to chase ...the Write Protect issue is surprising. Any ideas?
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

When you access DH0: thru the CLI, can you save a file to it? If so, then make a new partition, install 4.1.5 to that, theN copy that partition to DH0: Otherwise, format DH0: and reinstall OS4.1.5 as a fresh start.
colinw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by colinw »

There is no supplied "devs:Mountlist" anymore, even though the c:mount command will still look for it
if the particular device info is not found in the "devs:DosDrivers" directory where individual mount files
are now the standard.
Nagasakee

Re: DEVS:Mountlist-SOLVED

Post by Nagasakee »

Thanks very much guys. I attempted to copy my Update 5 recovery disk to DH0: and while that worked, I experienced some OS issues (inability to clean up window by name etc) so I bit the bullet and followed Dan's suggestion on formatting and doing a clean install.

I formatted DH0: reinstalled Update 5, ran Update 6, ran AmiUpdate to bring system up to date. Finally reinstalled my Photosmart printer and Radeon drivers and it is all good. Only thing I lost was my bookmark file in OWB (my fault :) ).

I was impressed by how quickly the process went and am now making backups on my clean install.

Thanks again!
Last edited by Nagasakee on Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

Glad you got it sorted.

One of the nice things about this setup is the option to make lots of bootable partitions and choose between them on startup.

This makes it fairly easy to recover to a safe backup if something goes wrong on your usual workbench.

On my own system I have about five available boot partitions, and probably five more that are just waiting in case they are needed.
Severin
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Severin »

@LyleHaze

The problem with that is most end users have amigaboot_quiet set to Y in CFE which means they never see the second menu where you choose the kickstart to choose to boot from and wouldn't use it as it adds 5 seconds to the boot time.

@All

Enter CFE and type:-

setenv -p amigaboot_quiet N<return>

To turn on the second boot menu.
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

Severin wrote:@LyleHaze

The problem with that is most end users have amigaboot_quiet set to Y in CFE which means they never see the second menu where you choose the kickstart to choose to boot from and wouldn't use it as it adds 5 seconds to the boot time.
Can't you change that delay on the X1000? I have it set to 2 seconds on my Sam460 which is enough for me given that it stops counting down as soon as I press a cursor key.