no sound with Hollywood examples with onboard sound? SOLVED.

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: no sound running Hollywood examples with onboard sound??

Post by LyleHaze »

danbeaver wrote:Ah, I'm not good at either, but oft pretend to be a tongue-in-cheek humorist with technical failings, vide supra.
It was not my intent to be rude, I'm just tired of being misquoted.
That tends to make most of my posts as short and direct as possible.
If I came across poorly then please accept my apology.

When I was developing the HDAudio driver, I didn't even notice the lack of mixer support.
Because I use an external line mixer to combine all my audio sources, I just didn't miss it.

The HDAudio chip in the X1000 simply does not have any mixing ability. It's not a lack of
software, but simply a design change for these audio chips.
Since HDAudio is the "new standard", it is likely that most new devices will not support
mixing either.

Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty amazing chip: If we supported every feature, it could
have 7.1 channel audio, PLUS a separate stereo pair, and up to TWO stereo inputs
recording, all at the same time. But there is no ability to mix anything at the chip level.

I'd like to add a digital loopback at some future time, which would APPEAR
to be a single input selector with a volume control.
This is not as flexible as a mixer, but as long as you don't listen to more than
one source at a time, it should suffice.

I will not make any promises about when I might get around to it though, right now
I have a LOT of things in front of me with a higher priority than that one.

LyleHaze
ggw

Post by ggw »

LyleHaze wrote: //SNIP//
The mixer is used to control the summing of various hardware audio channels.
HDAudio does not support summing of audio channels, and will not be supported by the mixer.
//SNIP//
Does this also mean that development is complete? I was hoping for a volume control that was effective while a program that was using the onboard audio was running. I have found that I can run a sound program, note its volume, quit the program adjust the volume in preferences, run the program again to enjoy the new volume. That is the only way so far that I know how to do it.

I used the mixer for that function before (I never "mixed" anything).
George Wyche
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

ggw wrote: Does this also mean that development is complete? I was hoping for a volume control that was effective while a program that was using the onboard audio was running. I have found that I can run a sound program, note its volume, quit the program adjust the volume in preferences, run the program again to enjoy the new volume. That is the only way so far that I know how to do it.
As far as I am aware, development is complete.
What software are you using that does not offer a volume control?
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

328gts wrote: ok done, reset X1000 but still no sound when clicking test sound in AHI prefs and no sound in Hollywood programs? boot jingle, tunenet, clicking on sound files etc all work fine??? other than reinstalling the sound driver what else can I try?
Maybe you can post a screenshot of your AHI prefs with "Music Unit" selected so we can see what you might have configured wrong, and while you're at it maybe you could also post a screenshot of the "Advanced Settings" tab?
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Here's my config attached

use Unarc to select my file as the Archive and select the following as the destination path

WORK:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/

press start and select yes when it tells you it already exists and if you want to over write it

I only have Music unit and Unit 0 configured but if you need any others simply copy the settings
from unit 0

soft reboot and see how you go

if this doesn't work I suggest you delete ahi.prefs, soft reboot and config AHI from the beginning again

It might be worth while looking more into the hollywood side of things, how does it know what system or
channel to use etc - excuse my ignorance on that matter
Attachments
config.lha
(146 Bytes) Downloaded 324 times
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
328gts

Post by 328gts »

@ Slayer

thanks for the file but tried and still same issues here unfortunately.

@ salass00

my units are as follows:

Music Unit- HiFi 16 bit sterro++, Freq-44100, channels-greyed out, vol- 0db, monitor-0db, gain-0db, input-Line In (Blue), Output- All

Unit 0- same as above except channels- 10

Units 1,2, & 3- HiFi 32 bit stereo++ & rest same as Music Unit above

All advanced settings are: Debug level- None, Echo- greyed out, Surround in "East" modes- greyed out, Master Volume- greyed out, CPU usage limit- 90%, Default anti-click time- 0ms, volume scaling- full
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
ggw

Post by ggw »

LyleHaze wrote:
ggw wrote: Does this also mean that development is complete? I was hoping for a volume control that was effective while a program that was using the onboard audio was running. I have found that I can run a sound program, note its volume, quit the program adjust the volume in preferences, run the program again to enjoy the new volume. That is the only way so far that I know how to do it.
As far as I am aware, development is complete.
What software are you using that does not offer a volume control?
Heh. I haven't sussed them all out (just lazy), but for those that I have... indeed, when I hunt around I have found where the volume can be adjusted.
I had not realized just how convenient I found the + - dock programs that controlled the mixer which controlled *everything*.
How quickly one gets accustomed, sigh. I foresee that with the loss of that convenience, I will latch on to just the minimum (one?), audio player purely to avoid become facile with the different contols of otherwise equally capable programs. To my defense I find it very common on weekdays to use 2 flavors of Microsoft OS, 2 flavors of Solaris, 2 (different enough) flavors of Oracle Solaris10 (on 2 kinds of keyboards ...-drives me crazy), my wife's new macAir, her old iBook, my AmigaOneX1000's AmigaOS4, AND on weekends add Linux Debian Wheezy on the AmigaOneX1000. I'm dizzy just writing that!

Anyway. You are right. None of the programs are strickly LineOut, though I did own a pair of fixed audio amplifers for a long time and cannot for the life of me remember *why* did I do that!
George Wyche
328gts

Post by 328gts »

@ Lyle

can you send me a few older versions of the driver as I want to try those out.
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
328gts

Post by 328gts »

thanks for the drivers Lyle :)

well I tried every single one and still same issue..can't get one of them to play the test sound in AHI prefs screen?
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

I suggest a clean install.
Then test it as you add your "stuff" back in and see if it goes away again.

:)