ERROR alert at startup

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
kilaueabart

ERROR alert at startup

Post by kilaueabart »

This has only happened to me once, on the current boot, but just in case it is serious I'm going to go ahead and ask what it might mean.

Here's what was in it:

The following required GUI classes could not be opened
clicktab.gadget
listbrowser.gadget
getfile.gadget
chooser.gadget
scroller.gadget

I haven't noticed any problems yet this early in the session, unless my inability to copy and paste ".gadget" in the above, in Timberwolf, was due to the ERROR.
Aloha,
Bart
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: ERROR alert at startup

Post by tonyw »

Are you saying that these errors appeared when you tried to open Timberwolf?

If so, does it happen every time you reboot the system or was it only once? Do other programs run OK?

Please give us the whole story, not just the punch line.
cheers
tony
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Sorry for the confusion. I get the ERROR alert at every boot or warm reboot. Most of the time the last one, "scroller gadget," is not listed.

I mentioned the Timberwolf matter because later when I launched Timberwolf I discovered the problem I mentioned, and couldn't remember if that has always been a problem.
Aloha,
Bart
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

It would seem that your system is corrupted, then. The only safe way to fix it is to re-install. You could try listing the gadgets in SYS:Classes/Gadgets/ (and perhaps replacing them if they are missing or out of date), but I don't know what versions or sizes you should expect. Perhaps someone else with a working system can help there. Mine is a beta system with many components later than those that you will have.

Then we have to ask how the hell it happened in the first place. Are you installing some third-party stuff on your system disk that might have over-written some of the libs or classes? Have you accidentally copied some older versions from an old backup?

Try to install third-party programs onto a separate partition, not on the system disk. Leave the system disk clean so that it is easy to upgrade and replace, without having to re-install all your favourite programs afterward.
cheers
tony
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

tonyw wrote:It would seem that your system is corrupted, then. The only safe way to fix it is to re-install...
If he followed directions, he should have a bootable ISO to recover from as well.

There is also the option of contacting AmigaKit to see if they can provide some assistance.
ExecSG Team Lead
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I think I followed instructions re the recovery ISO, but I haven't tested it. Maybe I'll have to. :oops:

As for Sys:Classes/Gadgets, everything is there, dated 16-Jul-13 17:09:16, which is, I believe, the date I saw signed off on when I opened the case this afternoon.

I wonder what would happen if I put Snoopy temporarily at the beginning of UserStartup?

I'll contact AmigaKit.
Aloha,
Bart
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

In your first post, you mentioned that it had only happened once, but later on you wrote that it happens on every boot/reboot. Which is true?

In any case, it might just be a matter of a loose SATA cable or a RAM block having less that perfect seating in its slot. Both of these might cause disturbances in what is loaded e.g. during startup, and would most likely be partly random in which modules are affected.

Best regards,

Niels
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Both are true. I booted, got the error alert, and complained about it here without even retrying. Since then, with one exception, the alert has come up with every boot, hard or soft, except twice (actually, three times; see next paragraph) the scroller.gadget was not listed at the bottom

The interesting exception was my second boot today. I switched from my User-Startup to the one that came with the machine, rebooted (warm), and got no alert.

I switched User-Startups back, but edited out a couple of things from mine, and rebooted. This time the ERROR alert contained only clicktab.gadget and listbrowser.gadget.

It looks like what I should do is go back to the short User-Startup, and add things I need, one at a time, and see what needs adjusting. It looks like I can get away without testing the recovery ISO disk.
Aloha,
Bart
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

The ERROR problem basically started when I added this to User-Startup:

run >nil: sys:utilities/limpidclock

although I can lay the blame for only chooser.gadget and scroller.gadget being called "unopenable" on that line. Once I removed it, the ERROR alert quit appearing.

But surely there is some way to run LimpidClock without doing it by hand at every boot?
Aloha,
Bart
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

kilaueabart wrote:The ERROR problem basically started when I added this to User-Startup:

run >nil: sys:utilities/limpidclock

although I can lay the blame for only chooser.gadget and scroller.gadget being called "unopenable" on that line. Once I removed it, the ERROR alert quit appearing.

But surely there is some way to run LimpidClock without doing it by hand at every boot?
why don't you add it to wbstartup?!

regards...
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)