Hard drive activity

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
kilaueabart

Hard drive activity

Post by kilaueabart »

I have always understood that one should not reboot while a hard drive is active. But with no hard drive activity light on the X1000 and some apps occasionally loading very slowly (or maybe not at all), how do I know when it is safe to give up waiting and do a warm reboot?
Aloha,
Bart
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Hard drive activity

Post by LyleHaze »

I can offer a few ways:

Instead of using the three-fingered salute, open a shell and use the reboot command.
"reboot fast sync" will give a quick reboot, and
"reboot sync" will give a deep reboot.

In both cases the sync keyword will make sure all drives are clear before doing the deed.

Another option is to add another LED to your case. I chose a bright blue LED (rectangular
works best for this) and I added leads and a connector. Once that was tested and working
one drop of superglue(cyanoacrylate) and I attached the LED to a flat spot on the back
of the power switch. Now I have red for power and flashing blue for drive activity.

I recently connected an additional LED to help me troubleshoot.. I might add that one to the
power switch bezel as well.

:)
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

Or you can use the DiskLED Docky, you just need to add this to it's Tooltypes:
DEVICE=sb600sata.device,1
zappa2009

Post by zappa2009 »

Or you use the POFF-Utilitiy from OS4depot.net -> http://os4depot.net/share/utility/shell/poff.lha

I use a seperate Blue-LED for Power and the orginal installed RED-LED for the Hard-Disk aktivity.
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

I put a red led in with the leads trapped by the front fascia so it sits behind the power button; this way it is removable with no residue.
xenic

Post by xenic »

LyleHaze wrote:I can offer a few ways:

Instead of using the three-fingered salute, open a shell and use the reboot command.
"reboot fast sync" will give a quick reboot, and
"reboot sync" will give a deep reboot.
:)
I added a reboot menu item to my Workbench menus that calls a script which opens a simple requester to confirm that I really intended to reboot. I could have just as easily added it to AmiDock. Here is the script:

; Script to reboot AmigaDOS
UNSET resetchoice
SET resetchoice `RequestChoice TITLE "Reboot" BODY "Restart AmigaDOS?" GADGETS "OK" "Cancel"`
IF $resetchoice EQ 1
C:Reboot FAST SYNC
ENDIF
UNSET resetchoice
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@xenic

Or...if you want to have an all-in-one script and use the poweroff feature you can try POFF and this script ;-)

Code: Select all

Requestchoice >ENV:rcnum "Reboot or Power Off?" "Reboot (Fast/Hard) or power off the machine?" "Fast" "Hard" "Power Off" "Cancel"
IF $rcnum EQ 1
   Requestchoice >ENV:rcnum "Fast Reboot" "The Amiga X1000 will now reboot..." "OK" "Cancel"
      IF $rcnum EQ 1
         Reboot FAST SYNC
      ENDIF
   SKIP Exit
ENDIF
IF $rcnum EQ 2
   Requestchoice >ENV:rcnum "Hard Reboot" "The Amiga X1000 will now reboot..." "OK" "Cancel"
      IF $rcnum EQ 1
         Reboot SYNC
      ENDIF
   SKIP Exit
ENDIF
IF $rcnum EQ 3
   Requestchoice >ENV:rcnum "Power Off" "The Amiga X1000 is going to be powered off.*n*nHave patience as it will take some seconds." "OK" "Cancel"
   IF $rcnum EQ 1
      POff 5 SYNC
   ENDIF
ENDIF

Lab Exit
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

ChrisH wrote:Or you can use the DiskLED Docky, you just need to add this to it's Tooltypes:
DEVICE=sb600sata.device,1
Yes I use this on my machine and if you have both SATA and PATA drives you can also add that drive to the tooltypes in the DiskLED Docky

DEVICE=sb600sata.device,0
DEVICE=sb600ide.device,0

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
ggw

Post by ggw »

Why is the LED in some pictures of the X1000 GREEN and other it is RED? These pictures are seen via a Google search whilst in the "Images" mode: "Amiga X1000"
George Wyche
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

It starts "green" when the disk is first accessed, then changes to "red" which fades away, presumably when the disk activity has stopped.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'