Transfer A4000 HD to X1000

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
gonegahgah

Re: Transfer A4000 HD to X1000

Post by gonegahgah »

Thanks again everyone.

I tried to see the two hard drives using Media Toolbox Niels but they don't seem to register? What does that mean?

Sounds interesting Ken. How do I copy HD contents to RW media?

The initial reason is moot now as I have recreated what I was missing but it would still be nice to see what is on my old hard drives...
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

gonegahgah wrote:I tried to see the two hard drives using Media Toolbox Niels but they don't seem to register? What does that mean?
I'm not really sure (not an expert on disk matters etc.), but it doesn't sound good. If they can't be seen even at that piont, it's not a matter of the filesystem, but more about the physical connection, I'd say. Is the cable okay? Master/Slave settings? Power? Can idetool see the drives? What if you try one of the drives at a time?

Stuff like that ... but I'm on thin ice here. Hopefully someone else can give more useful advice.

Best regards,

Niels
AmigaPhil

Post by AmigaPhil »

(Taking the opportunity of this opened thread...)

Hi !

I'm a day 4 new user of the X1000 and OS4.1.

Some years ago, I lost my A4000, but fortunately, I have a disk image of its HDD (tested to work with AmiKit on Linux). Now I'm trying to retrieve this image on my new X1000 from an external Intenso 2Tb USB3.0 disk drive.

I see on the front (top) panel of the X1000 that the 2 leftmost USB plugs are blue, and the 2 rightmost ones are black. Is there a reason for this ?

If I plug my Ext. HDD in the leftmost USB plug, nothing happen.

If I plug it on the rightmost USB, a device named "USB0:Not initialised" appears. Trying to see the Information from its icon does not open any window (so no information), and double-clicking the icon brings a message in the title bar telling "Icon has no default tool".
With Ctrl-alt-m, I see :

USB3.0 Device - MBR MBR 1.907.729,0M usbdisk.device,0
|_ USB0: FAT 1.907.729,0M

From my understanding, the device is recognised and mounted, but can't be read (?)

Can someone help ?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

I guess someone would have to write a USB 3.0 driver first. Unless there is some sort of backwards compatibility with USB 3.0? Not sure.

But I'd try putting the disk into a USB 2.0 external HD cabinet - if you are able to open your 3.0 one and take the disk out? Or maybe even connect the disk (SATA/PATA?) directly inside your X1000.

Otherwise maybe you could copy the data to a compatible device using some other machine which does have 3.0 support, and then from there to your X1000.

Best regards,

Niels
AmigaPhil

Post by AmigaPhil »

Thanks Niels !

Hopefully, I also have a copy of my A4000 disk image on my Linux machine. The other problem is that when I try to download it with AmiFTP, the transfer seems to hang after some times (around 700-800Mb out of 2Gb). Maybe I should wait longer and the transfer will resume ?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

AmigaPhil wrote:The other problem is that when I try to download it with AmiFTP, the transfer seems to hang after some times (around 700-800Mb out of 2Gb). Maybe I should wait longer and the transfer will resume ?
Hard to tell from this information.

To find out, you'd need to see the debug output from your X1000, so you would know whether the transfer has crashed or encountered some problem. But if you aren't normally encountering problems with your network on either of the two machines, I'd suspect a problem with either AmiFTP or the FTP server software on the Linux machine. My first attempt might be to try a more recent FTP program than AmiFTP - for example the command-line ftp which comes with OS4.

Either way, I'd still recommend connecting a SATA (or even PATA) hard disk directly inside your machines when you need to transfer as much as 2 GB. It will be not only safer, but also much faster, even if you have to copy the data once on your Linux machine and once more on the X1000. Also, using FTP, you will have all your file dates reset (unless you zip/tar first), this will not be the case with a direct disk to disk copy.

Best regards,

Niels
AmigaPhil

Post by AmigaPhil »

nbache wrote:To find out, you'd need to see the debug output from your X1000, so you would know whether the transfer has crashed or encountered some problem. But if you aren't normally encountering problems with your network on either of the two machines, I'd suspect a problem with either AmiFTP or the FTP server software on the Linux machine.
No problem on the server side (Linux). I use it (Pure-ftp) since quite long.
I have installed AmiKit on my Windows laptop, and have downloaded my 2Gb disk image using Filezilla without any problem.

On the X1000 side, I also tried pftp, but it also hang after some times.
By hanging, I mean the program does not crash or freeze, but no more data is downloaded. With Pftp, it stopped at 99Mb. (But the download remaining time continues to increase.)

[Edit] I don't have the physical HDD anymore.

[Edit 2] I've copied the HDD image to my X1000 from my laptop using a 4Gb USB key. Now let's see if I can mount the image...
Last edited by AmigaPhil on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

gonegahgah wrote:Thanks again everyone.

Sounds interesting Ken. How do I copy HD contents to RW media?
I used MakeCD on the 4000 to make data CDs, it's now free.

http://www.estamos.de/makecd/

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

In the same vein, I had backed up all of my A4000T partitions onto a OCZ SSD SATA drive via a sii3114ide on the PCI bus, formatted in DOS/07; it nestled into a bay on the X1000 and was immediately recognized. I then transferred the partitions to the huge 1 TB drive.

Odd thing, the SSD and the original HDD give the same "drive speed" number (the OCZ is an sata II), but a new 1 TB SATA III gave a bigger speed increase. I concluded that latency was irrelevant to raw transfer speed. It could also be concluded that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.